1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Eltax or KEF

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by M.Joshi, May 7, 2002.

1. M.Joshi

M.Joshi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I am thinking of going for one of the Marantz receivers and I was wondering whether it would be better to go for the KEF (Q1 / Q3) and then purchase surrounds later or, go for the Eltax surround speaker range (Linear Response Cinema 5.1)?

2. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +319
    I have the Eltax Linear response bi polar rears and they are very good.

Cant comment on kef though.

3. GaryG

GaryG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You really need to audition both to reach you own conclusions. I'm a big KEF fan, the Uni-Q design really is marvellous, the wider sound field it offers makes it difficult to switch back to standard designs after you've been used to it.

The Q1 is the repackaged Q15, I have 3 pairs of Q15's packaged up in my loft after upgrading, if you're interested in a deal send me an email.

4. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In most cases I think the majority would argue the Kef corner over Eltax but in the case of a 5 channel Home Theatre requirement, they really are the better choice.

Having said that, GaryG is entirely correct... you need to listen to both and compare them. Which ever sounds best to you IS best.

5. M.Joshi

M.Joshi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I will be using them mainly for Hi-Fi than home cinema. There is also the issue of matching the surrounds with the KEF's when I do purchase them. Do Eltax sell separate surrounds for a 6.1 / 7/1 setup?

6. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd still go for Kef.

7. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    I am currently auditioning a pair or Eltax HT2 Bipols for my back speaker on an EX system.

Will let you know in due course

8. M.Joshi

M.Joshi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Does anyone own / heard the Eltax HT2 bipoles?

Even though the Eltax is a good all in one system, I think the KEF Q1's will probably be better and also the KEF's are available in a darker wood. The only problem is finding matching surround speakers when I do decide to go for them.

I heard the Monitor Audio Reference Gold 10's over the weekend and they sounded really good. Would these be suitable for use as surround speakers with the KEF Q1's?

9. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Uni-Q is a much superior technolgy to anything Eltax have to offer, as you get a much wider sweet spot with dual-concentric designs...if money allows then go for the Q series without a doubt...

10. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And you would be a fool to put Monitor Audio Gold speakers on your rears with Q1s on your fronts!

If you're going to get them, put the Monitor Audio's on the front pair and if budget allows then get the matching centre too...Q1s will do fine for the rears due to the dispersive nature of Uni-Q...

11. M.Joshi

M.Joshi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Dudeness --> Are you saying that the Monitor Audio Gold Reference 10's are better that the KEF Q1's?

12. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hell yeah!!! They retail for £800 if I'm not mistaken!! It's the 'reference' bit of the title that gives the game away - these are SERIOUS speakers!

All depends on your budget, really. If you like Monitor Audio Golds and can afford them, you could get two pairs of the 10s, and the matching centre for a fantastic acoustically matched surround setup (not to mention visually matched as well!).

If they're out of your price range, two pairs of Q1s and the Q9C centre would also by very nice indeed, in both cases just make sure you have a sub for the LFE stuff...

13. planbeta

planbeta
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The pair of Q1's and a Q9 sounds like a quite good value to go for 5.1, but what could you add if you wanted 6.1 or 7.1? Do KEF offer any rear speaker solutions in the Q range?

Cheers:clown:

14. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +931
    The Q8s. Small, not very deep, perfect for wall mounting. I use a pair of the older Q85 as rear centres.

15. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah - get a second Q9C! Or another pair of Q1s if you want 7.1

16. planbeta

planbeta
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Is there much difference between 6.1 and 7.1 - surely if 7.1 was that much better than 6.1 then this would bring an arguement for two centre speakers (i.e. an 8.1 format) wouldn't it? :confused:

17. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Personally I think 6.1 and 7.1 are a load of old balls at the moment - of course your views on the matter may largely depend on the size of your home theatre room, and thus how practical it is to have 7 speakers...

It isn't practical for me but even if it was I wouldn't bother at the moment due to the following points:

1. Many films don't even use speakers #4 and #5 very well or hardly at all...

2. There really aren't many film which actually use a sixth channel, and even less good ones....

3. By paying for more channels on the amp you are effectively reducing the quality of the individual amps, as the same money would theoretically get you better quality amps on one costing the same but lacking channels 6 & 7...

Of these however I think the first point is the most valid - it just depends on your room, and how much you really value having the extra channels..........

18. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "I use a pair of the older Q85 as rear centres."

Jase, how does that sound to you?

I have a pair of almost new Q85s sitting in my bottom floor room doing nothing and currently use a Q95c for my centre rear (Q15.2s as rear surround).

I've been thinking of switching in the 85s for the 95c. Is it worth buying the extra speaker cable to do this?

19. planbeta

planbeta
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    good points there dudeness!

think I'll stick with 5.1 for the minute maybe get 3 pairs of Q1's and store one speaker away just in case 6.1 becomes the norm and my room grows a few more feet in space (use the spare as a centre speaker!)

cheers ... (lets not even mention 10.2 !!) ;)

20. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would advise against a third pair of Q1s - you'll get much better performance from a Q9C which is designed specifically to excel in the midrange where dialogue comes from...my original suggestion was only if you absolutely HAD to have 6.1 now, and couldn't quite afford another Q9C. Obviously a Q9C is not the ideal speaker for your centre rear, as you're only going to be getting ambient effects from it, so it get's a bit akward and complicated....

Just get a Q9C (superb centre BTW!), and if you really feel the need for more channels in the future, go for full-blown 7.1 with another pair of Q1s then, or some Q8s like the fella above mentioned.

21. planbeta

planbeta
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just been browsing kef.com, the Q9c looks sweet and lot easier to plonk on top of the tv than a Q1, and the Q8s look a bit more practical for rear speakers (wall mountable and take up less space!) if I decide the go the 7.1 route...

Cheers for your knowledge! :D

22. M.Joshi

M.Joshi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Does anyone know how much the Q9c roughly costs?

I'm sure I saw the Monitor Audio Reference Gold 10's for ~£200 (Per Pair) at Sound and Vision over the weekend.

I'll probably go for the Q1's for the fronts, but I am still unsure which surrrounds to go for - as I do not have room for any large speakers. If the Eltax HT2 bipoles were available in a dark wood, I would probably go for them.

23. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Q9C costs £250 retail and to my knowledge you can't get it cheaper than that at the moment.

I'd be amazed if anyone was selling Mon Audio Ref Gold 10s at £200 - even second hand! If you did see them I'd snap them up mate!

If you want more discrete rear speakers that you can hang on your wall then go for the Kef Q8S for your rears - they have the same or similar drive arrays to the Q1s, and will match nicely!

24. M.Joshi

M.Joshi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The Q9c is quite expensive and I don't like the look of the Q8s - Which is only available in a video gray colour.

If I do go for the Q1's, I will probably have to purchase the surrounds and centre later.

Mabye I should just go for an all in one speaker package?

25. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All-in-1s are generally cheap, compact, and nicely matching, but you generally have to pay a price and that price is less-than-ideal sound quality. I'd have a listne first if you plan to go down that road...

26. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +931
    Sounds pretty good as they match my Kef Dipoles quite well. I run them as close together as possible (side by side) but angled down towards the listening position. The only thing is they are slightly lacking in bass (only go down to 120hz) but thats being picky. If I had the space available I would have a pair of Q15´s.

Worth trying out though, nothing ventured, nothing gained!!:)

27. M.Joshi

M.Joshi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I am thinking of just buying two KEF Q1's at the moment. Would films still sound good with a surround receiver i.e using a virtual mode?

28. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +931
    Theres no substitute for a 5.1 (or 6.1/7.1) system, every Virtual mode I´ve heard has either been very naff or naff (apart from Dolby Headphone which is pretty good).

Got to start somewhere so a front pair of speakers is the logical choice. Then add to them.

29. M.Joshi

M.Joshi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I do not have enough room to place KEF Q1's at the sides and rear, but I have been reading on the forum that it is better to match all the speakers. I was thinking of purchasing some smaller satellite speakers, but the Q8s is only available in video grey. Any suggestions for alternative matching rear speakers?

30. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Hi

After spending a couple of days trying the Eltax, decided to keep them. As rear surround speakers they, IMO, seem better than the Mono Polars I bought (Anyone wana buy a pair of, used once, Monitor Audio Babies).

I feel the sound is better defused and I can hear it better also

Like I say just my opinion