Eltax Movieboxx 5.1 home cinema

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Skeeter, Jun 6, 2004.

1. Skeeter

Skeeter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dunno if this is good but for those that like the nova this Movieboxx one was on price-drop.tv and bid-up.tv last night and going for around £99.

Just incase ur looking for one. :)

2. St3alth

St3alth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ive got one of these and have a couple of problems
    during dvd playback theres a hissing through the speakers but theres no hissing during playback through the auxilary which my pc is hooked up to.

also i want to connect my xbox to it but the xbox advanced scart is an optical output which the dvd player doesnt receive. so id have to get a £15 converter to coaxial though the dvd players coaxial socket says output so i'm not confident that this is going to work...

any help would be much appreciated

thanks

3. Melter

Melter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Movieboxx is available cheaper from QED and they also do the next one up, the Moviestar system, which I haven't seen anyone else do yet. I've just got the Moviestar for £100 inc. delivery.

I'm no expert and never having experienced home theatre before I have nothing to compare to, but for me this system is superb for the price. We only have a small room and the speakers do a great job of filling the space, and the picture looks pretty good to me.

I tried to get the link for this from the Eltax site but they appear to be making changes to the site and the details aren't accessible at the moment.

I'm sure the techheads would rip this system to bits but like I said if you're working on a tight budget this might be what you're looking for.

4. St3alth

St3alth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hey cool. does the movie star have optical input? coz i need that to hook up my xbox or at least coaxial input. also d you get any hissing during dvd playback, or clicking during vcd playback?

5. Melter

Melter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay there looks to be a coaxial and optical connection on the back. No noticeable hissing on dvd playback, vcd not tried. The main differences between this and the Movieboxx system I think are the Moviestar has divx and progressive scan capability.

6. St3alth

St3alth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cool cool. where can i buy it from online? is the optical socket an input? coz i need to plug my xbox into it.

7. Melter

Melter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    QED is the only place I've seen the Moviestar for sale, special order as well so might take about 2 weeks to get one. Coaxial is indicated as output, optical doesn't say. The manual isn't much help there either just says optical like on the back of the player. Eltax are still updating their pages so I can't get the info from there either. You could always email Eltax for the info. ;)

8. St3alth

St3alth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok cheers m8. ive emailed some company that is related to eltax asking about the optical socket on the movie star. thing is it could take a week for them to reply on top of the possible 2 weeks it takes to deliver the system from
    http://www.qed-uk.com/q?i=120eMh2SXLtk&vp=6&bg=202&bp=moviestars&bi=0

are there any other ways i could do this?
    my pc is on all the time so could i connect a pci 5.1 sound card then plus into that some surround sound speakers and my xbox optical out?

or there could be another all in one cinema system with an optical input socket somewhere tho i've been searching long and hard already :(

ps i really wanna keep within a £150 budget

9. St3alth

St3alth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    good news is that theyve replied already
    bad news is that the optical isnt an input :(
    gonna have to search for a different system
    anyone know of any home cinema systems with an optical input under £150 ?
    or could i get a 5.1 pci sound card with an optical input and buy surround soud speakers seperately?

10. Melter

Melter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Update on the Eltax Moviestar system. I'm having to return this system as the dvd has a skipping problem, unfortunately I'm getting the worst customer service I've ever had from an online retailer. QED's ticket system is a joke as they just won't respond to simple questions like what day I can expect for collection.

After reporting the problem they told me to inform them when it was packed up and ready for collection and put in a note about the fault. I decided to test again to make sure and be able to accurately report the fault. Of course the player then decided to play nicely for a bit so I was unsure what to do and contacted QED to ask how long I had to decide, which they told me was 28 days. The same day a delivery guy turned up to collect the system so I had to send him away empty handed.

Two days later I decide this player definitely has a fault that I can't live with and report to QED. They respond by asking for a suitable collection date for the following week. I tell them Tuesday but I'm available all week and need to know if it's a different day so I can wait in for the collection. The whole week passes with no collection and no responses from QED.

Open another ticket at QED and finally get a response with them seeming to have no idea about collecting that week. So asked by them for another collection date and I give the following Monday (14th this week) then later decide that's unsuitable so change it to Tuesday (and by this time another person at QED has responded to my original ticket after it going unanswered for about a week!).

It's now Weds 16th and this system is still sat in my hallway, two weeks after initially reporting the fault. Amazing.

So my opinions here are that the Eltax Moviestar system is great for the budget buyer, I just got a faulty player, but I won't be getting another one as they only seem available from QED and they suck big time.

11. Shepski

Shepski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A quickie, does anyone know if this is multiregion or can be made so?

12. Shepski

Shepski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    nevermind...found the answer on eltax webby funnily enough :s

It is MR so an order has been placed, will be bobbon for bedroom :)