• Welcome to AVForums running Xenforo 2.2. The upgrade from 2.1 was successful and finished in just 90 minutes. We're still rebuilding the database indexes, so searches won't be reliable for a few hours, but we feel it's more important to bring the forums back online. The most notable changes in 2.2 are listed in this post. Thank you for your patience.

Eltax Monitor Atmos Speakers - ceiling mount?

Boglet

Hi,

I've been looking for some ceiling mountable Dolby Atmos speakers and bought some Eltax Monitor ATMs as they say wall mountable on the description. However, they don't have any fittings to mount them to the wall (or ceiling).

Any suggestions for how I could mount them or is it back to the drawing board?

Thanks

gibbsy

Hi,

I've been looking for some ceiling mountable Dolby Atmos speakers and bought some Eltax Monitor ATMs as they say wall mountable on the description. However, they don't have any fittings to mount them to the wall (or ceiling).

Any suggestions for how I could mount them or is it back to the drawing board?

Thanks
Don't they have a keyhole fitting on the underside. If you are going to fit speakers directly on the ceiling then the CA Minx 12 are more than up to the job and very lightweight.

Boglet

Thanks for the reply Gibbsy.

They don't have a keyhole fitting which surprised me when they are widely advertised as wall mountable.

I have heard the CA Minx mentioned before. Does it matter that they are not Dolby Atmos certified?

richpi

I have the Eltax Monitor ATMs , i got some keyhole fittings from a hardware store fitted them with short screws and then very long screws in the wall so i can adjust the angle .
seems to work ok.

gibbsy

Thanks for the reply Gibbsy.

They don't have a keyhole fitting which surprised me when they are widely advertised as wall mountable.

I have heard the CA Minx mentioned before. Does it matter that they are not Dolby Atmos certified?
Dolby certified is an adjustment made to the drivers and is best suited to the upward firing position and meets the recommendation laid down by Dolby. The manufacturer has to pay a licence to use it. Any speaker can be used on the wall or ceiling as the sound is portrayed best by a monopole speaker including inceiling models.

mikemag

Distinguished Member
Sorry to hijack the thread but I just wondered @richpi how you’re finding the Eltax ?

I‘m upgrading my current Denon and have some on order to use as front heights.

richpi

For the money they sound ok.
Dont forget if you do what i have done you wont have warranty.
I did have them on top of the speakers but thought i would try them on the wall now she wont let me put them back.

dazzer123

For the money they sound ok.
Dont forget if you do what i have done you wont have warranty.
I did have them on top of the speakers but thought i would try them on the wall now she wont let me put them back.
how do the atms compare as height as opposed to up firing?

richpi

I have put them back on top of the speakers but the wife didnt like them so moved them back up.
to me they sound better as height . they are reasonable in price so worth a try. its just a pain to mod them.
freinds that have been round say that it sounds good .

dazzer123

I have put them back on top of the speakers but the wife didnt like them so moved them back up.
to me they sound better as height . they are reasonable in price so worth a try. its just a pain to mod them.
freinds that have been round say that it sounds good .
Thanks was just wondering as height opposed to on top of speaker, just got a pair and testing out on top of speakers wondering if I'm actually getting any effect over 5.1. There has been the odd occasion where I have felt immersed.

gibbsy

Thanks was just wondering as height opposed to on top of speaker, just got a pair and testing out on top of speakers wondering if I'm actually getting any effect over 5.1. There has been the odd occasion where I have felt immersed.
I take it you have EQ'd them into the system. If so then lift the levels by +2dB and set the crossover at 150hz. Live with with those settings for a week or so and then turn them off. That's is when you will notice a different not so much when you listen for effects. You will get the object based sounds but they can be quite few and far between even when upmixing. Atmos can be very subtle at times.

dazzer123

I take it you have EQ'd them into the system. If so then lift the levels by +2dB and set the crossover at 150hz. Live with with those settings for a week or so and then turn them off. That's is when you will notice a different not so much when you listen for effects. You will get the object based sounds but they can be quite few and far between even when upmixing. Atmos can be very subtle at times.
Yes based on your previous recommendation I set crossover to 150 and raised levels by 3db after running audessy.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom