1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Eltax Liberty Speaker Package

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by tommymuldy, Mar 16, 2003.

1. tommymuldy

tommymuldy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Has anyone had any experience with this package? seems to get a decent write up where I have seen reviews and our chums at Ru=icher Sounds are doing it for £150 or something

2. jasonb

jasonb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I used this package for a while and it rocked, I then changed and got Kef Crestas which I personally think are not as good so I might flogg mine and grab a set. Those bi-polar rears are great I just brought another pair.

3. tommymuldy

tommymuldy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Excellent. Thanks a lot!

4. Queen of Hearts

Queen of Hearts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tommy
    I agree with jasonb 100% they are an excellent speaker and at that price there're an absolute bargain, pick up one of the sub10's while your at it which I think they are selling of at around £60, it will make a hell of a difference. :smashin:

5. Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The speakers are a bargain but I disagree about the Sub. No Sub is better than a £60 one.

6. dukebox_1st

dukebox_1st
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i bought these anbout 4-6weeks ago at 250 quid for the package, grrr! but they are fantastic, bipolar rears are great and the front is very clear and crisp, the floorstanders though i have found disappointing, i have found they have quite disappointing bass but for general film watching they are gd enough, this might b a problem with my setup as by default my reciver has the speakers set to small(or normal, i can't remmeber) and will only let me select large when a sub is attached.

as for the sub i odn't knw yet! i have one on order at RS as they didn't have ne on thur when i went up, bugger! well see how it is when it gets here, looks smart, specs are ok, just to see what it sounds like! hopefully will b in by the end of the week!

tom

7. Queen of Hearts

Queen of Hearts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is where I will unfortunately have to disagree with you CC, simply because something costs little in Subwoofer terms at least does not mean that its value in a relatively budget (although it is a very good budget sytem) is not without its worth, the sub10 is remarkably tuneful and originally retailed at around the £150 mark so £60 is a bargain IMO :kisses:

8. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A good quality bass driver and amp will cost alot- a £60 subwoofer is a joke!

9. Queen of Hearts

Queen of Hearts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tom
    I'm glad you are enjoying them, they are excellent speakers much better than many I have heard some many times the price and they look very nice especially in the beach.
    As for the fronts, have you tried filling the bases with sand or lead, this will I have been reliably informed tighten up the bass response no end.
    But just wait till you get your hands on the Sub, position it in the right place and prepare to be happliy suprised :smoke: :D

10. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I can assure you that mine is :D

11. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Your subwoofer is crap Ian- mine's better! Hee hee!:D

12. Mock Turtle

Mock Turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think that you have posted in the wrong thread Nathan. The yah boo sucks thread is a little further down.

13. dukebox_1st

dukebox_1st
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers for the response, i'll have to try that sometime, i hear cat litter works just as well as sand/lead but is easier to get hold of then lead and less messy that sand. any opinions?

where do u suggest placing the sub? the rooms is about 7m square. my plan was to put it between the tv and the left front with a wall directly behind it, as it is downward firing and front ported i thought placment would b easier than other subs. the rooms is a multipurpose one with both my pcs and desks as well as storage on the left wall so space isn't excatly expansive.

thanks
    tom

14. Mock Turtle

Mock Turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That should be fine. Try not to push it against the wall but bring it out a little. Experimentation id the key though

15. March Hare

March Hare
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I heard one of these recently.With movies it was so-so (i'm trying to be kind to it) .With music it was slow and ponderous and was better switched off.

16. Queen of Hearts

Queen of Hearts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mr Hare
    Lets not split hairs (pun intended) but I believe you are doing the sub10 an injustice of biblical :eek: proportions.

Its not a good a little sub as the unit packed with the Eltax 5.1 system review here and it isn't trying to be a Rel or a Vel so whats your problem :(
    People don't always have budgets available that run into hundreds/thousands of pounds to spend on a home cinema system.....unfortunately.
    And those that do I suspect don't have the ability to know a good system when they hear it and buy it purely on the basis of magazine reviews and people on forums such as this that have probably never heard the equipment they claim to have in the first place :(

Lets not fall out :kisses: :kisses:

17. jasonb

jasonb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One thing I definately think is a worthwhile addition would be an SPL meter to get the most out of your system. I beleive this to be really important and will get the most out of a "budget" system when set and an expensive system sound horrid if not set up well. I found the exact same with the floorstanders but filled them with sand and it made a huge difference. A good tip with sand as B&Q, home base ect... have poor sand is to get it from a pet store as it's much finer with less rubbish in it. Also put the sand in those sandwich baggies that seal up as this is much less messy and is easier to tune the speakers as you probably won't need to fill them fully. Bake the sand first to get rid of any moisture as you don't won't to rot the wood inside the cabinet enclosure. I found that toeing them in helped but also if they are close to the corners of the room at one end try toeing them out but place them close to the rear wall. experimentation is the key here. I'm a true believer in that you get want you pay for but for all there sins RS do tend to bugger that theory sometimes! Use your ears, I'm sure that sometimes I've brought kit because I thought that because it was more expense it must be way better. Always go in with an open mind and not nessaccerily (I know I can't spell!) an open wallet. Always kick the shop assistant out of the demo room so you can have a play on your own and not be blinded by there (mostly) biased opinions as you are trying to listen. Sometimes stuff just sounds different, not better not worse. I do hope that this helps :lesson:

18. jasonb

jasonb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry about that last post it's a bit jumbled ( I've just read it back) but I've had an awful w/e and not much sleep!!!!

19. dukebox_1st

dukebox_1st
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    jasonb thanks for the info, i was looking at "investing" in a SPL meter but just need to get some cash, i is only a poor student after all!:D

thanks for the tip bout the sand, one of my main concerns was the problems with taking it out again if need be.
    thanks agian
    tom

20. jasonb

jasonb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi dukebox_1st

If you only brought them in thelast 28 days RS will refund the difference. I have done that before as they let you exchange products. It certainly is worth trying anyway. £100.00 buys a lot of pints in the uni bar!!!!
    :rotfl: