Question Eltax Liberty 712 Subwoofer makes Loud booming pop sound when going onto standby

Linkadventurer

Novice Member
Hi everyone :)

I have recently purchased an old Eltax liberty 712 subwoofer.
ever since I have plugged it in, Every time the subwoofer goes to standby from I get a very loud booming pop and it makes me jump through the ceiling every time. I know this can't be good for the subwoofer... Or my ceiling. :D

Anyway...:)

The subwoofer will also, still stay on 10-15 minutes after my Pioneer SC-LX 71 Reciever has been switched off and make a loud booming pop.
This also happened before I had even connected a line-in cable from the receiver to the subwoofer. I did because I wanted to make sure it would power on properly before connecting it up.
I thought this was due to the receiver and the subwoofer not being connected. Also, all connections are correct and so are the settings on my receiver.

but apparently not.:(

My subwoofer is set-up with the volume on 8/10 as a personal preference (my system is set up in my bedroom so its difficult to hear the bass sometimes due to the lower frequencies being absorbed by the furniture. hence the purchase of the sub as I felt the Eltax liberty speakers weren't enough on their own), I have the frequency response setting dialled the whole way up as I've been told this effectively is the same as disabling the frequency controller on the subwoofer. (my receiver is set-up to control the frequency output of the subwoofer) And phase is set to 180.(can't tell the difference between 180 or 0for the phase setting)

I would greatly appreciate if anyone could help me out with this problem as it is beginning to drive my parents and I a little spare. Also, it would be great to know if anyone else has this issue with this subwoofer, And if they have found a way of resolving the loud booming pop it does when the sub goes to standby or have any suggestion as for why this may be occurring? and any possible fixes?

Many Thanks :thumbsup:

Christopher Sandilands

JayCee

Distinguished Member
I suspect the reason is in the first few words of your post.
“I have recently purchased an old”
Maybe it was faulty when you bought it?

Linkadventurer

Novice Member
Quite possibly. I had considered that.

However, there is also the possibility that it is a common fault with this line of subwoofer hence the reason Eltax may not have sold very many of them; As they're very difficult to find compared to many of their other subwoofers such as their atomic series, thunder series and their stargate series.

I was just interested to find out if anyone else had the same fault and if they did; I was just wondering if they had a potential solution to the issue.

Also when playing audio the sub works as normal and sounds pretty decent for what its worth. It just seems to have an issue when going on to standby.

That's all

Many Thanks

Christopher Sandilands

Had this with my Q Acoustics sub. It literally made me jump each time it made that sound. I put it down to possibly running it too loud when i first bought it. Ended up selling it and replacing as no matter what i did it would still make that noise.

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
You could try whipping out the amp plate and checking that the earth cable is connected well and that nothing has shaken loose from the power supply.

Linkadventurer

Novice Member
You could try whipping out the amp plate and checking that the earth cable is connected well and that nothing has shaken loose from the power supply.

Hey
Thank you, That's a good point I'll have look when I get home from college tomorrow to do that.
although is there anything that I need to be cautious of when poking around in the subwoofer.
for instance, remaining voltages being withheld in the capacitors or any possible fragile components? Also when unplugged does the amp in the sub still retain any of the power that has been stored when active?

Many Thanks

Christopher

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
Just unplug it give it a minute and remove the plate.

But if you’re not at all knowledgeable then it may be better to have a friend who knows his way about a soldering iron have a look.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom