1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Eltax Liberty 5.0 System OR mission FS1

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Gatekeeper, Aug 24, 2003.

1. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi all
    looking for a cheap yet good set of speakers for cinema and music using a denon 1803. my choice is the Eltax Liberty 5.0 System or the mission FS1 system.
    also do i need a sub for the Eltax Liberty 5.0 System
    thanks for looking

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    You won't need a sub with the Eltax package although a proper subwoofer is desirable in any system and will improve that one.

3. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    can u recommend a sub for about £100

4. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    how does the MISSION M70 HOME CINEMA PACKAGE compare to the other packages

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Definately not. It is almost impossible to make a subwoofer at that price that performs well as most are so poorly engineered with low quality components that they will make an existing system sound worse.

With the Eltax system that you mentioned you won't need a subwoofer so you can wait until something suitable comes along second hand that is within your price range.

Unfortunately more rubbish is spouted about subwoofers than any other subject. I managed for years quite happily with floorstanding speakers and no sub until I bought a decent REL. It was the icing on the cake but wasn't necessary.

Many of the satellite speakers on sale now won't reproduce anything below the mid band and need to be coupled to a sub to replay the whole spectrum but these tend to be misnamed as sub bass speakers they are not.

6. luv ya jen

luv ya jen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    used to have some of the speakers mentioned on the whole the eltax are pretty good for the money but since trading them in for some fs1 i cant belive the difference i use mine 100% for films and the odd time i listen to mtv through them and i think they rock

7. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the replys Ian J + luv ya jen

so luv ya jen
    to your ears the fs1 missions has the better sound

does any one use them for music as well as movie and are they any good for music

8. Freddie

Freddie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the trouble with using the fs1's for music is, as Ian J says they can't reproduce a decent spectrum of sound and therefore require a the sub to fill this out.
    IMO if you want to listen to music you are better with proper speakers like the eltax, or even better look around for a second hand set of better quality speakers, there seem to be plenty of mission m series coming up for sale.
    As for the sub, if you've only got a limited amount to spend I can recomend buying a second hand Rel Q50 which can be picked up for £130 - £150 ish not massively powerful but a quality speaker good down to the 25hz region.

9. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +505
    gatekeeper

I also have a set of Eltax speakers, not exactly the same, but similar in size and price (or they were at the time). I managed ok for a few years before thinking about getting a sub. I'd considered buying one of the cheapie subs from places like richer Sounds. I then upped the budget to £350 and was considering the likes of an REL Quake or Q150 or a Yamaha jobbie.

The guys on here then persuaded me that one of these was not up up to the job of making the difference i was looking for. It was then the choice (for me) between importing an SVS sub from the States or trudging through the quagmire that is richer Sounds for a Paradigm servo 15.

A 2nd hand servo15 came up at £300 on the forum so I bought it. Haven't looked back since. The difference between this and the REL/yamaha etc. is unbelievable.

Cheers

Chris

10. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers chris for the reply

11. luv ya jen

luv ya jen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i dont use them that often for music but when running them in i used some guns and roses, frank sinatre, and of coarse the king to me they sounded fine obviousley not as good as floor standing but as i dont really listen to much music they are spot on

12. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    Another vote here for the eltax package. I have eltax fronts and they are great for movies and stereo music.;)

13. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the votes are mounting up but whitch one? :)

14. neilybealy

neilybealy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    i bought the FS1s to go with my yam 630rds amp

sounds superb with movies, not so good with music but then i found a setting on the amp for when i listen to music that brings the FS1s into life (6ch stereo i think it is)