Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Eltax Jupiter - Wierd High Freq Effect - Help!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by digitaldave, May 11, 2005.

1. digitaldave

digitaldave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I've recently noticed that on my Eltax Jupiter speakers, the high frequencies (particularly female voices) produce a strange distortion that sounds almost like you are listening underwater (hope that makes sense). I notice it mainly on the rear speakers (as they are closest), but I can also hear it in the front speakers if I place my ear fairly close to the tweeter. Is this simply because they are dirty cheap speakers that can't handle high frequencies? Or could the speaker cable be to blame (I plan to investigate this tonight if I can pick up a short length of decent cable)? Or are they blown? Finally, does anyone else have the same speakers notice this effect?

I'm using a Sony STRDB790 amp, with Sky+ for the source (I get the same effect using the optical connection or the normal phono connection).

2. mike_cummi

mike_cummi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Dave,

This sounds like it may be a source problem to me.

Run all the usual elimination checks, try different source, different amp, different speakers, different cable, different interconnect etc.

I reckon you may well find that everything's fine when you try a different source - CD player or something.

I have noticed this sometimes with my freeview box and I reckon it's down to the quality of the broadcast signal.

3. digitaldave

digitaldave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Thinking about it, you could be right, as I don't recall hearing the problem on DVDs, so it could well be a poor quality signal from Sky. I can't be 100% sure, but I don't recall having this when I was on NTL. I'll have a listen to some different sources to see if that makes a difference.

4. mike_cummi

mike_cummi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's surprising how poor the sound quality of some digital broadcasts can be. This "watery" sound is typical of a bad digital broadcast and there's nothing you can do about it. It also gets worse the more processing you put the signal through so if it's really bad keep processing to a minimum to get the best sound quality.

I don't have sky or cable but have noticed this on freeview, particularly with some of the radio stations on there.

Eliminate all other possibilities as I suggested but I think you'll find it's just down to the signal.

5. thelordmagus

thelordmagus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sounds similar to what you get on some badly compressed MP3s. This is due to the signal's compression, and when fed to certain equipment, it sounds absolutely terrible.

6. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +131
    Do you only get this effect when using prologic or do you get it in plain old stereo as well ,you get that effect when using prologic in the rears and some times not quite as noticeable in the fronts.If you are getting the same thing with normal stereo then it could be the source or last in line but least unlikely the speakers.