1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Eltax Avr200

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by joe sp, Jun 9, 2003.

1. joe sp

joe sp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anybody got an Eltax AVR200 or AVR250 amp?

If so are they any good? I am looking to buy a cheap Dolby Digital amp and Richer Sounds reccommend the Eltax AVR200 over the Sony STRDE485.

I have also noticed that QED-UK have the Eltax AVR 250 for only 88 quid which seems a complete bargain and seems to be the same spec as the AVR200 at RS.

If anyone has any views I would like to hear them.

Cheers

Joe

2. hamtaro

hamtaro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    personally i would check a review on the 2 amps. personally i would go for the sony..reason been the eltax at 88 is probably a job lot richer sounds will want to get rid of. i dont know what your budget is ? it stands to reason richer will favour the eltax,as they probably have lots to shift. there sale patter is the same all over the country.did they have the sony in stock?

3. hamtaro

hamtaro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just had a look and the eltax has a very poor power output. 60 watts per channel, where as the sony has 80 watts per channel ,more features and looks better.

4. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    There to my knowledge is not a problem world-wide that could not be fixed by a Gale/Eltax product (to include famine and disease let alone Home Cinema!) if you go on ANY Richer Sounds salesmans' advice.
    High profit margins me thinks?

5. hamtaro

hamtaro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes your right. i tend to think richer sounds have sale patter to ensnare home cinema newbies.ie people like i was. then they blind them with tech jargon!if you appear to know more than them, they tend to just blatenly walk away !!!!

but in richers defense, if you stick rigid in what you want you get it in the end!!by the way do they still have those mosaic remotes?

6. harleyman1000

harleyman1000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

I was in Richer Sounds today and I ended up buying the Eltax AVR200 as the sales guy told me I would just be paying £40 for a Sony badge and the system would sound the same. I had my suspisions and when I told him I would prefer a Sony beacause I had heard of it he reasured me that both systems would sound the same. On looking up the tech spec of them at Richer Sounds' web site you can see some fairly crucial differences. I'm guessing that they got the Eltax ones from China for pennies and they make a much larger mark up on these than the Sony models. I'm personally gonna swap this for the sony tomorrow as Sony have been making these for years and I've never heard of this other brand. Can anyone tell me who makes Eltax and what sort of experience they have had with their products? Many Thanks

7. krusty

krusty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no expert..but im pretty sure the eltax will be ****e...

8. MagicBoy

MagicBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Eltax are Danish company who've been around for a fair few years, usually known for their good value speakers. They've only recently started doing electronics.

As for the power outputs - check how they are specified. The Sony STR-DE ones are done using favourable methods to inflate the ratings. Not sure on the Eltax ones tho. To make a decision you'll need to listen to both products and let your ears do the deciding. Ignore the RS sales patter - no two products ever sound the same.

9. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    The Sony should murder the Eltax performance wise, ignore the RS salesperson, the commission is probably massive on the Eltax, they probably need to clear them out.

Eltax amplifiers aren't as good as their speakers. Eltax have a pretty good rep for speakers on a budget, and have above average ratings in many reviews, but I would stay well away from their AV electronics.

It annoys me when RS do things like this, as usually, they are ok to deal with......as long as you know what you are doing and what you are talking about.

10. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,080
    Avoid Eltax if you can, go for a Sony, Denon, Yamaha or Cambridge Audio amp if you can afford one!