Eltax Atomic Subs

enajh2

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks!!

I've just been looking at Eltax's new range of subs at qed-uk.com.

I know there have been lots of threads/posts on the "no sub is better than a small/cheap sub" issue BUT...

I am looking to sell on my Videologic Digitheatre satellites and sub, complete which means I will be without a subwoofer. The amp in this sub is rated at 25W!! However, it has served me well until I recently purchased a set of Eltax Jupiter speakers. These are driven by my Sony 1070 receiver.

The advice I am looking for is whether I should be looking at any other makes of sub (having already checked the classifieds and found nothing suitable) instead of these Eltax Atomic subs b4 I make a purchase? This will serve me for 2-3 years until I get my own place with a bit more room than I have now (16 ft x 7 ft).

I have £100 for my birthday to spend plus whatever else I can chip in myself.

I am considering one of the following:-

Eltax Atomic A10.2 175W 250mm woofer 35-170Hz £105 (post free) (All colours being delivered tomorrow) Link

Eltax Atomic A12.2R 250W 300mm woofer Remote Control 30-170Hz £150.99 (post free) (1 in stock, black only) Link

Eltax Atomic A15.2R 300W 375mm woofer Remote Control 25-170Hz £176.78 (post free) (Black only, 9 in stock) Link

I have read all the reviews I can find. I think the 15.2 would be overkill being 450mm cubed!!

I would like some advice as to whether the 12.2 would be worth the extra money or would this too be overkill. The full specs for each are on the Eltax website Link

What about a pair of 6.2s (60W) or 8.2s (120W)? :D

Oh, and not forgetting, I will use this setup as much for music, if not more than for watching DVD's (DD EX and DTS ES) and VHS in pro-logic ;)

I look forward to reading your opinions!!

Kind regards,

Alan

Originally posted by enajh2
I know there have been lots of threads/posts on the "no sub is better than a small/cheap sub" issue BUT...

Oh, and not forgetting, I will use this setup as much for music, if not more than for watching DVD's (DD EX and DTS ES) and VHS in pro-

Alan,

The advice that no sub is better than a poor one applies twice as much to music as it does to films. Whilst you may get away with woolly, overblown and distorted bass in a film you will have it whilst playing music.

You seem to have quoted £179 as being within reach and said that there is nothing suitable in the classifieds. Hang onto your money as there will be something much more suitable than what you have shortlisted and it may appear tomorrow or the day after, but it will appear as it always does.

For music I have actually found that my floorstanders are pretty capable of delivering the sound I like, with the necessary weight and clout, without my "sub" being turned on!!

I just felt I should give an indication of my tastes/application. ;)

I can't really afford £178 to be perfectly honest!! :(

I don't even have cash for the petrol I'd need to pop home to get the packaging to sell on my Videologic digitheatre!!! :rolleyes:

Ive heard the Eltax A12, Its VERY slow, and skips alot of bass. It doesnt go very low and it doesnt sound clean. I wouldnt recommend it.

Just get some bassy speakers like the Whafedale Valdus 500s.

Take a look at the Sony SA-WM40

Its £160 and does provide pretty good reasonably clean bass, especially if you keep it away from corners (although that can be quite fun for some films :) )

I wrote a bit more about it in the budget subs thread a little lower down.

Alex

I have an Eltax A8 for sale in the classifieds if you're interested. Let me know if you'd like some more information.

JIT,

I did see this but silver is not really my colour or in keeping with the rest of my furniture! Sorry! :)

FYI and others, I'm looking into the Monitor Audio ASW100 but I had to go out b4 I got to finish reading the older posts that reference this model.

Currently available for £150 from Hifibitz. A good audiophile quality sub that can just about hack it for movies. What Hifi **** in 2001. I will do some research in the morning. ;)

Thanks for the advice/warning Tejpal!

Alan

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom