• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Eltax A-8

webbonline

Standard Member
Hi all hope someone can help me I just bought a Eltax A-8 sub I didn’t pay the earth for it but at least expected it to work ….. Or woz I expecting too much ? It seems to work when listening to basey music but not that good too, all other times it just seems to hum or turn it self off ???? Have I bought a dud or is this sub just rubbish im running it on the line in phono socket but could feed my front speakers to it but there only thing providing base at the mo ????? Any advice help appreciated

Webb

phil2009

I have a A-6 and you do need to turn up the volume/gain to near enough max. But my A-6 worked quite well I never had a prob with less bassy stuff. But today just upgraded to a BK XLS200

webbonline

Standard Member
thanks for the reply Phil i got it turned up max its just buzzing humming ...... but if i put tongy on, on radio 1 it works, well i say works, if u put ya hand under it u can feel the speaker moving but i cant tell its on from sitting position base coming from my floor standers as far as im concerned not impressed

Webb

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
Hi all hope someone can help me I just bought a Eltax A-8 sub I didn’t pay the earth for it but at least expected it to work ….. Or woz I expecting too much ? It seems to work when listening to basey music but not that good too, all other times it just seems to hum or turn it self off ???? Have I bought a dud or is this sub just rubbish im running it on the line in phono socket but could feed my front speakers to it but there only thing providing base at the mo ????? Any advice help appreciated

Webb

Errm, yes, sorry :rolleyes: :(

webbonline

Standard Member
erm yes sorry it,s rubbish or erm yes sorry i sold u it lol ? ....... what should i be looking for ???? running a sony str-dg910 a pair of 150 watt rms wharfdale standers warthdale7.1, back plus some sony's back and center 7.1 surround ....... need to fill my profile

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
erm yes sorry it,s rubbish or erm yes sorry i sold u it lol ? ....... what should i be looking for ???? running a sony str-dg910 a pair of 150 watt rms wharfdale standers warthdale7.1, back plus some sony's back and center 7.1 surround ....... need to fill my profile

"Sorry it's rubbish" says it all, I thought :(

Give us a budget and we might be able to help :)

How about I shortcut and just point you to here;

Sub Woofers

Simply the best value for money you can buy anywhere, bar none.

Just buy the most expensive you can afford ;)
And trust me, they're worth scrimping/saving for ;)

Otherwise, you would need to go secondhand.

webbonline

Standard Member
Ok so u say it rubbish that said ……. do u think it is working correctly ? surely it shouldn’t just buzz when the base action dies down I would of said it should do the basic’s even if they where to a far less degree, just saying its rubbish doesn’t help has anyone ells had any history with this sub at one time its must have been something u would buy

My budget at the moment is around the 100 mark subject to off loading if I can’t fix the eltax was hoping to buy a Paradigm PS 1000 but there few and far between

Webb

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
Well, your description is really vague, tbh.

What is the gain on the sub set to?
Which amp are you using to feed it?
What's the amp's and sub's crossover set to?
Are speakers set to small?
What's the amps setting for the sub gain?
What mode are you talking about or is it all modes?

The hum could be a couple of things. If the gain is full up you would expect some hum. You could make sure the sub lead is well away from any electrical cables.
It's supposed to automatically switch itself off when there is no sound being played through it, so at least that part sounds right.

webbonline

Standard Member
Let me start by saying I am know expert I am just getting into audio video, surround sound

Before I have only just had normal TV through normal TV speakers, and last time I checked that wasn’t illegal, so u will understand if I don’t at first understand all u on about, and would expect u would know this, for me this is not a contest I was asking your advise, I will however try to answer your questions

The settings on the sub are all at max or u don’t get much from it otherwise, I don’t have the Manual so don’t really know what they all mean tried searching online tho

My amp is a Sony STR-DG910 which has auto calibration via a wired microphone for my 7.1 surround sound and sounds pretty good after I calibrated

So to the best of my so far knowledge, it is set up correctly, my two front 150 watt (Valdus 400) floor standing wharfedale speakers with spikes, still provide most of my base and don’t distort at all know matter how loud I turn it up ……. And they are set as large all others small and set at right distance

The sub is ok watching a dvd u cant here it buzz and does add something but watching normal tv, say the news its buzz is louder than the tv until it turns off

I think I listen mostly in pro logic 11x well that makes all the speakers work although for music sounds better just the fronts 2 channel and sub

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
Let me start by saying I am know expert I am just getting into audio video, surround sound

Before I have only just had normal TV through normal TV speakers, and last time I checked that wasn’t illegal, so u will understand if I don’t at first understand all u on about, and would expect u would know this, for me this is not a contest I was asking your advise, I will however try to answer your questions

The settings on the sub are all at max or u don’t get much from it otherwise, I don’t have the Manual so don’t really know what they all mean tried searching online tho

My amp is a Sony STR-DG910 which has auto calibration via a wired microphone for my 7.1 surround sound and sounds pretty good after I calibrated

So to the best of my so far knowledge, it is set up correctly, my two front 150 watt (Valdus 400) floor standing wharfedale speakers with spikes, still provide most of my base and don’t distort at all know matter how loud I turn it up ……. And they are set as large all others small and set at right distance

The sub is ok watching a dvd u cant here it buzz and does add something but watching normal tv, say the news its buzz is louder than the tv until it turns off

I think I listen mostly in pro logic 11x well that makes all the speakers work although for music sounds better just the fronts 2 channel and sub

That's a pretty agressive way of posting, imo and won't do you any favours :thumbsdow

To expect someone to answer your question when you provide no information whatsoever, is plain daft.
But whatever, I'm willing to let it go :)

To use a sub, you would normally set the speakers to "small" if they can't go down to around 25hz.
The simple fact is your sub goes as low as your speakers (if that) and that's it.
So it'll add nothing.
You can't expect an 8" sub to be better than your speakers which have 2 x 8" drivers.
Note your drivers are called mid/bass, not sub-bass here;

DISCONTINUED WHARFEDALE VALDUS 400 SPEAKERS - available from Superfi UK Visit http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/product_id/135 for details

The fact that you seem to have the gain turned full up would backup your thoughts that you're expecting too much and you probably will not improve things. The sub is just too small and certainly in your situation, "rubbish".

You need to spend more money on a better sub, simple as, imo.

webbonline

Standard Member
OK point taken guess i need to start saving up :( ...... just realized as well when i had the sub connected base signals not sent to my wharfedales by default just turned sub off IE told amp it not connected and i got earth shattering base again to speakers thought something was up

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom