Elonex Artisan VX

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by steverussellAV, Mar 16, 2006.

1. steverussellAV

steverussellAV
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,

Has anybody bought one of these yet? It gets A-listed by PCPro this month. It looks good, might just tempt me into delving into the mysteries of connecting MCE & Sky+ & a 32"TV.

Any comments/feedback on the PC greatly appreciated.

Perhaps Jon Sayers is still around & comment from Elonex with a URL + details?

Cheers,
    Steve

2. jalite

jalite
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Seen the pcpro review today but it doesnt seem to be on the elonex website, may buy one of these as my htpc has died recently.

Any more info?

3. steverussellAV

steverussellAV
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I haven't found anything else yet. Looks like Jon doesn't frequent the forum anymore....

4. ReallyBigBob

ReallyBigBob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive got one, with hybrid cards, hooked up to sky and a viewsonic lcd, works fine, you cant hear it which I really like, got to say the remote and keyboard isnt msoft and is a bit shoddy but apart from that the system is very good. Although at the moment Id be hanging on for a sexier form factor out of the VIIV stable, and there are some truly living room designs coming up. The Artisan is one big lump of black metal, and whilst your techy mates will like it it I dont think its going to get you laid...

5. GrandmasterMak

GrandmasterMak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Be aware that they are doing redundancies at the moment - last time i heard it was 60% of the workforce.

Might be better off holding out for something else.

6. pd33

pd33

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    ..unless I'm missing something their review on the website makes no sense...

It has an A-List logo against it, then later in the review seems to say it misses getting A-Listed (towards end).

It also says it is a great price reduction (from LX model presumably) then at the end talks about the price hike !

It also is a bit poor to be reviewing it and giving a web price code to get free delivery when it isn't even on the Elonex site available!

Looks good though and I'd be in the market for one. Anyone know if you could add a HD (blue ray or whatever) later?

7. guyb

guyb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Also the review states that is cost £999 inc vat however the web site is advertising it at £1216.12 inc vat.

I was maybe tempted at £999 but not sure at £1200.

The reveiw also mentioned that at some point it would ship with a new GeForce card that does hardware HD decoding - I wonder when that will be.

What I really want to know however is whether or not you can upgrade the box with a new HD-DVD drive or other shuch things.

8. pd33

pd33

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    ...we are in the same 'boat'.

If you look at the case it looks like a 1980s video recorder (a step down from the LX if you ask me)...but you can see what looks like a fairly bog standard DVD drive in it. On that basis I'm imagining you could switch that out for a Blue Ray/HD DVD drive when they become available for dropping in to PCs.

This is the reason I haven't bought the new Sony media center with HDMI output - it is a proprietary case design with front loading, "slot" DVD drive and can't see how that is worth buying when within a year or so you'd want to be replacing the whole thing to get hi def dvd.

9. hhufschmid

hhufschmid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i am getting conflicting answers on whether the Artisan VX has an HDMI out or only a DVI. i am also getting conflicting answers on whether you can hook up Sky HD through the box (i know if works with regular Sky). Anyone out there know the answer? thanks in advance.

10. _Dom_

_Dom_
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've got a (broken) Artisan LX and I'm not sure I would recommend the Elonex system. Not really because its broken but because of their dire support. Mine broke beginning of MARCH and I still have not had it replaced yet. I rang 4 times this week asking for an ETA and was promised someone would ring me back - noone has.

If you are determined to get a pre-built I would consider another brand -maybe HiGrade or something.

Or if I was to do this again I would bulid one myself to be honest.

11. WheresMyArtisan

WheresMyArtisan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Got an Artisan LX. Does the job. I think it's very expensive for what it is though.