elonex artisan vs evesham ebox

T

toxicmango

i note evesham has been getting rave reviews. Anyone had the pleasure of comparing the two models side by side ?

Haven't managed to compare them as I didn't get a review model of the Artisan but here are my comments on the Ebox

"Well I've just recieved my review ebox-s from Evesham at the last minute. It took them about 7 days to build and the sound is certainly not as bad as people have said, yes you can hear the fans but it doesn't distract from watching TV, recording or anything else. I've set it up in my bedroom (wait til the girlfriend gets home and kills me) and have 6.1 speakers around the room (another sign of sure fire death from my gf) playing DVD's etc. I've got it connected up via DVI to my Viewsonic VX912 19" TFT as the ATI X300 it comes with has DVI out which a lot of the past few months of reviews haven't mentioned so far. I believe the card is the plain X300 and not the cheaper X300 SE but right now I'm not sure so don't quote me on it.

The review build came with Dual Digital TV cards, both Black gold and it also came with a dual booster for connecting up if you only have the one arial in your house. The machine also came with a wireless net connection too which was easy to setup and means i'll never have to have wires dragging all over the house.

The build quality is excellent, the Ebox itself is quite big, basically its like a smaller version of a desktop machine except it actually looks stylish. The slot loading DVD drive works well as does the great wireless keyboard that has an intergrated trackball for mouse control, which surprisingly I have got used to really quickly.

Performance is excellent, it loads fast, tasks are fast, switching of channels is really quick and the large harddrive will hold a lot of TV. Feel free to ask any questions and I'll try to answer them."

Bryon thanks for the comments and hopefully your gf has forgiven you :D

I had a couple of further q's

How is its DVD performance and how does it compare to a stand alone dvd player. Is it comparable to say a cheap end dvd player like toshiba sd330, or mid range like denon 3910

Is there an optical out to connect to an av amp - if so have you managed to do it and what is the sound quality like?

How would you connect it to a projector does it have component out/scart etc ?

Thanks

DVD performance is good, i've played various DVD's on it including Sky Captain and the world of tomorrow which shows off the picture quality well. I'm a big fan of DVD's and have a high-end player downstairs, so I'm personally pleased with its performance.

I've got it attached to a 19" LCD via DVI at the moment, but it can connect up via scart to your TV via a different add-on connection lead that can be purchased when you buy the box. It can also connect up via S-Video. It doesn't come with component out for Hi-Definition but can connect via the basic VGA cable.

The Ebox comes with on-board sound which does have optical out but I haven't connected it up to my Dolby Speakers downstairs so far...but the sound on 5.1 creative basic speakers though anologue connections is great even with simple TV sound.

Just as a follow up - it came with an ATI X300 SE card.

I would agree with most of what Byron has said.

I have used the eBox (not the Artisan), but the noise was a major concern for me. It doesn't intrude when you're listening to most music, although it might in quiet orchestral pieces. However, I did find it intrusive during lulls in conversation and I would image that it would be a pain during quite moody/atmospheric films, not to mention PC stuff - surfing, messaging, email etc

In conclusion I put my grand on the Artisan - can't wait.

PS - I still think the ebox is way sexier then the Arisan, Hi-grade or most others, unless you can afford a HUSH :cool: .

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom