Elonex Artisan - Is it just me or is this the most unstable piece of kit ever built?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by chaholl, Mar 20, 2006.

1. chaholl

chaholl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

I bought an Elonex Artisan a few months ago, i have to say the concept behind the machine is great. Once you get used to being able to record TV with the click of a mouse or build playlists from your entire CD collection there really is no going back!

However, I think Elonex may have mis-named the product. Plutonium would have been a better name since it is without a doubt the most unstable system I have ever owned. The system frequently crashes (at least twice a week), video playback often drops (although this can be resolved by rewinding slighly) and it regularly reports missing tuners or fails to boot from the hard drive on restarting (nothing more certain to provoke a cold sweat when you've spent weeks converting your entire CD collection to WMA!)

Has anybody else experienced similar difficulties with this product?

2. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,298
    Hi

All the problems you describe are symptoms of a failing hard drive.

It would probably be a good idea to find out what manufacturer of hard disk you have in the machine. You should then be able to visit the manufacturers website and download a diagnostic tool. For example the Maxtor one is called Powermax.

Steve

3. GingerTez

GingerTez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    As far as I'm aware the same manufacturer makes the Advent DHE series - my confidence in them was severely shaken when I bought a supposed DHE2000 from PC World. The LCD display on the front said DHE2000 when I turned it on but when it wasn't performing as I expected and I checked the spec I found it was actually a DHE500 in the wrong case....!!!!

After it had been replaced it worked as expected and I've had no problems with it since... but I still have the fear that the mistake I encountered in the first place is symptomatic of the manufacturing process... *gulp*

EDIT: I've only had it a few weeks so I'll let you know if I agree in a couple of months!

Cheers,
    Tez.

4. mikeb71

mikeb71

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I agree the Artisan is a little unstable.
    I've had mine since October 05, and had my fair share of problems including live TV problems, recording problems, freezing and generally sluggish performance.
    Then I decided to buy an OEM copy of MCE as Elonex don't supply a copy (strange bearing in mind my desktop PC, my laptop and my wife's laptop all come with a copy of Windows), and a bigger harddrive and now everything works nice and fast :cool: leaving me with only two problems:
    1. if I'm watching a programme thats also recording sometimes I get the 'no tv signal' and have to cancel the recording and exit/restart MCE to get live tv back.
    2. occasionally when I bring the Artisan out of standby I sometimes just get the blue volume light and nothing else, which then needs to be turned off by holding down the power button and rebooted.
    Other than these 2 (annoying) :( problems everything is fine.
    I feel that the above problems and probably some of your own are not the fault of hardware but probably bugs in MCE itself.

5. ENEM

ENEM
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sorry to say it (I will probably get shot by the Media Centre fans on this forum) but I think this is a typical experience using Windows Media Centre, not an Elonex problem.

I have used four, from different manufacturers, including one custom build and they are quite simply not 'ready for the big time'. The user interface is wonderful however, as is the functionality but compared to a dedicated AV appliance they are utterly unreliable.

Strictly for enthusiasts. Just my two pence worth.

ENEM

6. rgmaniac

rgmaniac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Never had any problems with mine! just about to watch Formula one which it reliably records whenever on. Normally I never get a look in on TV with three kids and a wife but now I know when they have all gone to bed my favourite selection of programmes will be waiting for me.:) Thinking about adding an X10 system to it after seeing it on the gadget show, anyone know of a good site to buy the modules from?
    Which other media centers have you tried?