1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Elonex Artisan / DMS II Gaming experience

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by smarks, May 11, 2005.

1. smarks

smarks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

i am interested in one of the machines that are out there on the market, either the elonex artisan or the dms II. i like the features but so far havent read about gaming experience.

can you owners let me know the quality - i am not a hardcore gamer, but sometimes i enjoy a fifa 2005 or pro evolution soccer. also counter strike. quality wise i am happy with xbox quality which isnt as good as the usual pc quality.

please let me know - need to know how the graphics run, gamepad connectivity, etc.

Thanks in advance,
    Mark

2. JonMace

JonMace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    Re the game pad connectivity on the DMS there is no MIDI port, don't no if you can get a USB game pad?

Can't help anymore I'm afraid as I don't use mine for gamming, but for HTPC and PVR its the dogs

3. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think both of those use on board Gfx (9200 or X300) which don't lend themselve to games like doom3 so well. Gamepads can be connected to USB port on the front.
    My personal HTPC has a 1/2 decent gfx card (Radeon 9600) that allows demanding games to be played at my plasmas native resolution -it also has 4 USB sockets available to the front for game pad/controller connection (I use logitec jobbies which are v similar to PS2 joypads)

4. smarks

smarks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    folks, i am not into doom 3 gaming, just pro evolution or fifa soccer games. would that work on an artisan or dms II? wouldnt have to be the full quality resolution...if you check xbox on a plasma, it doesnt look fantastic too.

thx mark

5. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure about Fifa, but onboard gfx isn't great for the type of games I play - essentailly driving games and FPS

6. BryanKitts

BryanKitts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    They both have proper graphics cards, I believe: passively-cooled X300. The Artisan is 64 bit and low-profile, the DMS2 is 128 bit. I've got 3dmark03 figures of 1779 for Artisan and 2624 for DMS2, but I'm not sure where I got these from so don't rely on them.

A version of the DMS2 with a Nvidia 6600GT 128Mb RAM is supposed to start shipping in a couple of weeks. The 3dmark03 quoted was 5635, but this was from a Higrade prototype so should also not be taken definitively.

Hope that helps.

7. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :smashin: hmmmm interesting

8. smarks

smarks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hm, what does it mean for my fifa gaming experience? works or doesn't?

just want to play and if somebody has tried to play on an artisan, etc please let me know their experience,

thx mark

9. MattTheBeanster

MattTheBeanster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    yello :), i have a dms and have tried so far

black & white, freedom force, sims 2, sim city 4, halo. I usually run at 1064x600 60hz but have had no real problems at 1280x768 85hz.

I tried a demo of far cry but that was pushing it too far, looked nice until you moved around and then had a frame rate that was a bit nausia inducing.

For a pad (on halo) i bought a ps2 converter for £6.99 on play and it works fab.

Would have thought that the games you want to play would be fine but if there are demos available and not too big i can always give em a try if you want.

10. smarks

smarks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok, thanks for your thread..that helps.

was just wondering if anybody of you guys has tried some games which are more spots/action games rather than simulations.

action/sports usually requires a faster graphics card and wanted to know your experience,

thanks, mark

11. MattTheBeanster

MattTheBeanster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    tried the fifa 2005 demo. no options to change res's, but ran pretty smooth. nothing to make me think the card was struggling.