1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ellion DVR-900A - problem recording from VHS

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by mamashaz, May 17, 2005.

1. mamashaz

mamashaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello. I've searched the forum and can't find anything about this problem. I'm a complete newbie though so I may just not know what to look for!

I recently purchased an Ellion DVD-900A. I am trying to record personal (not commercial) VHS to dvd but am having problems.

When recording, I am manually pausing in order to fast forward to the next part of the video tape I wish to record, then unpausing to resume recording (they are small clips so I want to keep them together within one chapter) This works fine but the dvd recorder keeps ruining my attempts by also pausing and unpausing of its own accord.

It seems to do this on parts of the video tape where one recording joins another as though it is detecting the start of a new clip. But also does it in
    the middle of clips for no apparent reason.

It may be an automatic function but it is not mentioned in the
    manual. I can't find out how to disable it. It is not the "auto chapter" function causing this as that is turned off.

If it is not meant to do this at all, does this mean my dvd recorder is
    faulty?

Hope I made sense! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    It sounds like there is a trigger signal on change of recordings being sent from your VHS player. This is usually through pin 8 on your scart cable. If it's a cheap cable and no major loss to you then you can try snipping pin 8 and that should do the trick ;)

3. mamashaz

mamashaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply Ekko Star. What you say certainly make sense.

Regarding your suggestion of snipping pin 8 from my scart - does the winky face mean you're joking? Sorry to sound thick but thought I'd better make sure before actually trying it. :eek:

4. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    No I'm not joking.

Pin 8 on the scart is the 12v Status trigger. You may have noticed that when you switch on a scart connected component the TV changes to the AV input automatically ? That is because it detects this trigger. Components usually fire this trigger on switch on and sometime at blips in playback. It seems your recordings at edit points are doing this and they would only likely do it through Pin 8. There is no other purpose for this pin and many people remove it for this inconvenience. It has no detrimental effect on Audio or Visual output once removed.

If it is a cheapo cable and you feel happy about altering it then it may be the likely problem & solution*I leave that for you to decide* If not you can buy a Scart that is NOT fully 21 pin wired.

My experience tells me your problem is most probably this. If not it could be your DVD Recorder or an in depth setting on it somewhere.

You have to decide if you wish to try isolate the problem first or simply take the Recorder back :)

5. mamashaz

mamashaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you very much for your help. I will try your suggestion (I have a spare scart I can experiment with).

I'll let you know if it works :thumbsup: