1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ellie

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by buns, May 4, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    having had a quick look at the specs.....i said quick! I didnt notice that the ellie has any compatability to playback NTSC material. Is this correct? or have i missed something. Also, will i be able to set up an ellie or any projector for that, at only about 2 m from screen to lens distance?

2. cutes6

cutes6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi Buns I am a new proud Ellie owner but with very little experience or vast knowledge on the subject of projectors.What I can tell you is that I have a region converted Pioneer 636 dvd player and I get fantastic pictures from region 1 discs and the player does not output psuedo pal so yes it does play ntsc material.On the other matter I think that most projectors work on around 1.5 times the screen width from the screen to the face of the lenses so yes it would work but be a very small picture although very bright hope this helps

3. Jagular

Jagular

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You'd be struggling Buns, how about diagonally across the room? Or have you thought of that already?
    Rob.

4. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,415
    mmm 2 meters is about 6.5 feet (I don't think in metric, I'm afraid).
    That would give you a max screen width of about 4 feet 4 inches.
    The specs for screen size on these kind of projectors usually quote 6 foot to something or other (around 24 feet).
    Which implies a 6 foot picture is the smallest they can do.
    To be honest, I think you're out of luck. Is there nowhere else you can locate it?

5. Oasis

Oasis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    With only 2m for the projector depth, you have me wondering whether you are considering a rear projection set-up? Now if this is true it might be worth considering a mirror to 'fold' the light path and get a bigger picture (just like any rear projection set)

I have even heard of this being done on front projection, where the projector was mounted vertically on the back wall behind the seats and a mirror positioned above.(I believe it was featured some time ago in the AVS Forum - you could try searching the threads at http://www.avsforum.com )

Whichever way you go, it's important to get a good mirror, not just a bathroom mirror! try companies like DNP who make 'proper' set ups, or a mirror from a damaged rear projection TV (if you can find one!)

hope this helps!

Oasis

6. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    Oasis and all,

That was an AMPRO projector I think so that may help narrow the search on AVS.

The Barco 800 I'm using is projecting an image 160cm wide. It can't get any smaller due to the physicaly restriction of not being able to angle the blue and red lenses in any further without them hitting the central green tube. This is most likely to be the limit on most projectors rather than any optical limitations I'd guess.

Ask Jim at Ellie how small you can go. He'll know if anyone will.

Gordon

7. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    problem in my room is that half of it is restristed due to the eves of the roof. So In my current room i cannot really locate it much further unless i decide to locate the screen about 4 feet from my viewing positon....which is a bit close i think! I am really beginning to think that i am stuck until i can move into my own house.....maybe i should spend my student loan on that and not a projector.....but that wouldnt be any fun would it! thanks guys, if anyone thinks of anything.....i have discussed the rear projector thing with a front projector....whatever u call it, with my dealer, however he suggests that will add large amounts to the cost so its out the window unfortunately! keep hoping i guess!

8. WavyDavy

WavyDavy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wavy,

Do not post messages like this again.

Edited by Jenz (Moderator).

[ 11-05-2001: Message edited by: Jenz ]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.