1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ellie XS2000HT

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by component-man, Apr 5, 2001.

1. component-man

component-man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone help me! I'm looking at investing in a front projector, but not sure which one to go for. I here that the best type of projection is using CRT. I'm trying to decide between the sim2 HT200 (DLP) or Ellie. I'll be using it for purely DVD, mainly NTSC anamorphic.Also does anyone have an Ellie?, if so, please advise.One other thing, does it handle progessive scan signals?

2. tiberious

tiberious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    horses for courses my friend !

I have an HT200 , and have posted extensively on its merits.If you are looking for a versatile machine with a long throw distance, its worth checking out - make sure it is running the latest software (1.15).
    You should be aware that SIM are (rumour has it) launching a 16:9 native panel DLP later this year (as are others).Personally,I couldn`t be happier.

If you have more space, there are some Ellie fans here who will give you the run down -by all accounts a very good machine

[ 05-04-2001: Message edited by: tiberious ]

3. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Component-Man,

First do a search here on Ht200 and Ellie. You will find extensive notes and comments on them both.

Under the Test Bench heading on out Pronto friend on the left menu you'll also find the Home Cinema Choice Reviews. Both good machines that you should research somemore.

You'll also get more help by specifying Room Size, Equipment to use, Screen Size and lighting conditions of the room.

All the best. Regards Neil.

4. Jagular

Jagular

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

:) Hi component-man,

The requirements most people want to know about front projectors are:

a. do I need the best picture available for the money?
    b. do I need to keep moving it around?
    c. do I want to keep changing lamps?
    d. do I want computer graphics as a priority?

To answer some of these common questions, first I would say that yes, you are right in saying the CRT gives the best picture available at this point in time, primarily because of the contrast ratio they provide, and secondly, if the CRT has a line doubler fitted and providing the projected image is no larger than 10ft wide in an average size room, you will have an image that will astound you, and totally free of pixels.

Of course I’m biased. I’ve done all the research before. I’ve compared many machines LCD, DLP and CRT, seen the rainbow effect on some machines with the spinning colour wheel and flapping mirrors (although this is subjective, worse on some, but not all), seen the limitation of using LCD technology that switches panels through a physical matrix by TTL arrays. But of course that was until I witnessed the ‘ELLIE’ CRT technology. For £4,000 it’s a snip! I thoroughly recommend one!

I have a 6ft wide screen in an average sized room and get superb results. I use subdued lighting to give that extra involvement required when watching films. Contrast ratio on the Ellie is tested at 800:1 In reality it’s from the brightest White to the Blackest Black. Checkout HCC’s Test bench on:
    [url="http://www.homecinemachoice....ideoProjectors/ScreensUK/EllieXS2000HT.shtml [/url]

I suppose this does sound a bit like an advert, but as others have said before – if customers are happy with the product then why not spout about it! ’trouble is, by saying something positive about a product can upset people who either could not have it due to limitations of room size or distance from the supplier (not really an excuse) or were led into a decision by false information.

If you decide to go the DLP route, work out the economics by calculating how much the cost of lamps will be over a period of time and whether the variation of lumens over each lamp life is going to be a consideration.

After all said and done, you should book a demo to see one or the other, preferably both, and judge with your own eyes. That way you can be satisfied you made the right decision and was not LED down the wrong path!

Rob.

[ 05-04-2001: Message edited by: Jagular ]

5. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
    The pro's and con's of both technologies are well documented in past threads.

I would suggest that, if you can fit a CRT in your room, you must visit Jim at Screens UK and take a look at the Ellie. Also try and get a look at a Seleco 420.

Have a look at the HT200 and of course the Sony VPL10. They all have their strong points. Finally you amy also want to consider the s/h route that many others have here.

Gordon