1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ellie v other CRT projectors

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by tryingtimes, Feb 16, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +548
    Hi there
    I know there are a few Ellie owners here on the forum.
    Because of the price it usually tends to get compared to the LCD and DLPs around (the Sony 10HT, Seleco HT200, etc)

However, I wondered whether the people who have seen the Ellie also had demos of the other CRTs on the market such as the Seleco 350, 450, 500, Barco, etc.

Anyone care to comment?

Thanks
    Alex

2. HT Dude

HT Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I've seen the Ellie and own a Barco 708.
    The picture on the Ellie is superb for the money, though it's not as good as a higher-spec'd machine - of course.
    It is possible to pick up used Barcos etc for cheaper than the Ellie, but you then have the issues of used tubes, warranties etc.
    IMO, I'd go for a used Barco if I could get one - which I could at the right time. But they are relatively rare compared to the Ellies which are easily available with a swap-out 12 month warranty.
    You pays your money etc.
    Put it this way, if there was a highly spec'd (i.e. Datagrade for a HCPC) used CRT from a reliable source with a warranty and cheaper than, or similarly priced to the Ellie, then I'd go for that. Otherwise it would be the Ellie. The Ellie is VERY good.

3. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    Is the ELLIE 16:9?

4. Jagular

Jagular

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Anyone care to comment?

Thanks
    Alex[/B][/QUOTE]

Yes Alex,
    I did audition the Sony 10HT, the Seleco 450, and then auditioned the Ellié XS2000HT CRT projector at Screens UK. I bought the Ellie in August 2000 and have not looked back.
    Once settled in and converged the machine is as stable as a rock. With optics that are liquid coupled, a 20,000 hour tube life and line-doubled, it makes good sense at this price to audition this machine that is without doubt intended for Home-Cinema use.

I now see the problems brought to light on this forum from people who bought LCD or DLP Projectors; dropped pixels, rainbow effects, the price of lamps, poor contrast levels, greys instead of Blacks and special screen requirements to simulate true black. I feel sorry for the people who have paid upfront for manufacturers to research these new video technologies, but on the other hand perhaps their main aim was a projector primarily intended for computer interfacing for games etc. If this is the case I take back all I have just said.

Whatever you do though, don’t take my word for it. You need to go and see them for yourself and make your own mind up. Don’t be led by the people who push their opinions onto you because of the decisions THEY have made, and that applies to me too.

BadAss,
    The Ellie is 16:9 and 4:3. The format and individual preference of picture set-up can be stored in up to 10 memory banks. The screen required is 4:3 and when using 16:9 material it uses the full height compressed into the 16:9 aspect ratio. Hence no quality is lost, unlike letterboxed counterparts.

Rob.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.