1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ellie Screens

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by TT9, Dec 11, 2003.

1. TT9

TT9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Greetings all,

After deciding against a Stewart, just thought I would mention that I have ordered a 213cm Ellie Finesse.

Spoke to Jim on Thursday evening and impressed by his professionalism in genuine interest in getting the best to suit my requirements.

Delivery is promised for Saturday morning so I shall hang and give it its debut on the evening. These screens have been touted a couple of times on various threads so I am keen to see if they live up to the recommendations. Mind you, I've only got a white wall to compare them against !! :clown:

Full impartial review and a screenshot or two to follow. Should be able to give it a LCD and DLP workout.

Cheers,
    Steve.

2. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    So it was you who bought the last one. I had spoken to then on Thursday as well as was told there was one left.

I phoned today and was told it had been sold but were getting 2 more so have ordered one.

The girl mentioned that they would be increasing the price by quite a margin begining of next year

3. TT9

TT9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Petrol,

It was me. I spoke to a girl first and she mentioned that they had one left and had spoken to someone earlier in the day but the enquiry had not been followed through at the time. I called back 5pm, spoke to Jim and the deal was complete.

Sorry if you'd pencilled it in :eek:

Anyway, slightly off topic, if you don't mind me asking, are you a thoroughbread Newcastle boy, only I notice your location puts you there. Only I'm an ex Ponteland lad, exiled in the South East for the last couple of years.

Cheers,
    Steve.

4. James McHugh

James McHugh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Finnese screen increase will be about £80.00 more and the rest of the range will remain the same. So don't panic lads:smashin:

5. Godfather

Godfather

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +224
    How's your new screen?

6. TT9

TT9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Godfather,

What a weekend. As I am doing things properly, this weekend had all the floorboards up for cable runs. Got the Ellie hung up too. Had to give Jim a quick ring today as i'm an electrical disaster :blush: and the wiring diagrams and remote explanation confused me !

Well, finally did it, just now, and have to say that its absolutely WICKED. . . It is perfect, not the slightest imperfection or ripple or anything at all. Motor mechanism is steady and not too loud. Just a gentle hum which adds a drum roll effect to the excitement !

Unf., I cannot test a movie on it as yet because if you have seen my other thread, I am pj-less but should have a HT300+ or a Domino30 by the weekend. I'll be able to post a pic or two then. My LCD loan didn't happen so DLP tests only. As soon as I've been able to get some images I'll be able to give the proper considered opinion.

Anyway, a tab tensioned 7ft Ellie and it looks to be a cracking investment. The workmanship is the highest and if it performs as good as it looks sitting idle I'll be one very happy boy. I've ran the motor in thats for sure just watching it go up and down and up and down and . . . . . . ! :devil:

What a stonking piece of hardware.

Steve.

7. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds like you're well chuffed with your new screen :)

Look forward to a few pics when you've got your projector.

Congrats & just in time for Willie Wonka's chocolate factory on Christmas day on "d big telly" :clap:

8. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Sorry for the late reply but I am NOT getting emails to tell me there have n=been posts to this thread :(

Anyway, yes a Geordie thro and thro. So you an ex Poshy - Ponteland and all that :)

Still waiting for my screen but hope to get it by end of this week.

9. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,100
    Petrol,

if you quick reply, it doesn't 'tick' the email alert button. You have to either click the 'post reply' button to get the reply box with all the options and 'email alert' tick box, or after replying via the quick reply box, click the 'subscribe to this thread' link underneath.

I found that out after realising I wan't getting the emails telling me people had replied either.

Gary.

10. OnTheFly

OnTheFly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    TT9

Would you mind telling me how you are getting on with your finesse screen? I am just starting to search for a screen myself.
    Thanks.

11. TT9

TT9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Greetings,

Apologies for the delayed reply.

I have now enjoyed an extended period with this screen and I must say I am very happy indeed. There is nothing to fault it whatsoever. The motor mechanism performs perfectly upon instruction from the remote, the screen is ripple free and after wrestling with projector position (not as easy as it sounds) I managed to get near perfect geometry. The screen is a brilliant white and no marks or imperfections.

This is as good a screen I as hoped for. I am fortunate enough to have I suppose what some may call a reasonable high end system and my original screen shopping list started and stopped at a Stewart firehawk. In the end I went for this, being not able to jusitfy the price of a stewart to myself and I am so pleased I did. The picture from my Domino 30 is nice a bright and the colours are very deep and rich with the Ellie and it brings a quiet satisfaction whenever I startup a movie. I have viewed neither CRT or LCD with this however so couldn't comment on these.

I would certainly recommend this screen. If I am not mistaken this screen is manufactured in Italy and may be by the same manufacturer that also does the Owl and Nexnix screens. I am sure I have read that the three are rebadged versions of each other.

If I wanted to be really picky I suppose I would have liked a 'memory' of some sort so that the screen extends to exactly the same depth every time. Instead I have to make minor vertical lense adjustments with the pj to line it up perfectly. I accept this 10sec pre-showing task and it does not bother me.

So all in all very happy. Before deciding, ask petrolhead his experiences. His have not been as positive so will provide an alternate angle and give balance to your choice.

Best Wishes,
    Steve.

12. Yandros

Yandros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    Thanks for the reviews guys. I'm probably going to go for the Ellie Advantage in a couple of weeks.

One screen newbie question though. You mention that the screen doesn't have a memory, but does the screen safely stop at maximum drop (which should be the right height for us)? I get in enough trouble as it is with the girlfriend when fiddling with remotes pre-movie, and I don't fancy the "what are you doing NOW?" factor being increased by mucking about with lens shift every time :(

13. TT9

TT9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The screen does safely stop at the fully extended maximum without input. If you were able to mount the screen at at a height where full screen extension gave you exactly the the vertical position you required then this would act as a 'memory' and require no lense shift each time.

Regards,
    Steve.

14. ailean

ailean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0