1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ellie review....a copout?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by charles, Nov 27, 2000.

1. charles

charles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +156
    ive just read the review of the ellie in this months home cinema choice.this must be the most understated positive review ive ever read.
    i think the ellies quality for the money has got em scared-cos if this had been made by sony there would be trumpets sounding..ive never read a review of a projector that has resolved far above 5.8mhz and yet got such a cool review...and how come in the charts its not number 1 in front of the sony?(its not even in the charts!!!!!)
    look at the coverage!!!!! one and a bit pages!!!..it would have had three pages if it had been a seleco(which only resolved to 5.8..)

reading between the lines,this product has been reviewed without a fanfare deserving of what has been accomplished...i wonder why?...too much of a bargain?

2. mjwhitehouse

mjwhitehouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had the Ellie for 2 months now in a dedicated Home Theatre setup in my converted garage. I followed Neil Chinnery's conversion almost totally and got a home cinema for under £800. The Ellie picture quality is excellent with the built in line-doubler. Even Sky which is piped in via a video sender gives a brilliantly clear picture. I have no axe to grind here, I am in the Navy and was on a budget. The Ellie seemed to offer the best compromise between price and CRT quality. Its less expensive than the Sony LCD and does not suffer from the dust ingress problem or dead pixels of the LCD projector style. It is not perfect, it seems to behave differently with different model DVD players but I am very happy and my kids are over the moon. A prty of 14 seven year olds watching Toy Story 2 needed to be experienced. Funnily it works better with a Proline than a Yamaha. The last point is the after sales service is excellent and the team that sell it and set it up are obviously enthusiasts themselves. When I rang up about wanting to test DVD players on their demo model I ended up chatting for 30 minutes after they had rang me back. So all I would say is, don't buy it without testing it, but be prepared for a quick trip to the bank soon after.

3. ptmbradley

ptmbradley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Is there a web page featuring you gargae conversion? [​IMG]

4. mjwhitehouse

mjwhitehouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am sorry but I am fairly incompetant when it comes to Web Pages and although I have been online for a few years now, I have never done a web page. Neil Chinnery's is on www.angelfire.com/ns/neilspage/index.html and I followed what he did more or less. the main differences are that I used good quality chipboard instead of plasterboard and I didn't bother with a new ceiling. My main concern was the fact that it had to be removable as I only rent the house I am in. So everything can be taken down and removed. It is not difficult, it gives a perfect setup with no light coming in through windows and I get good acoustics.

5. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nice garage conversion by Neil. Obviously a lot more work than my own DIY jobby.
    A couple of points to make; I would imagine that having the equipment rack in front of the screen is distracting. But maybe that's dictated by space available? Also, why is the projector on such a long 'mount'? Could it be fixed closer to the actual ceiling? It looks as though someone could bang their head against it. (worried about the projector, not the head [​IMG])

------------------
    www.baldyplex.com

6. mjwhitehouse

mjwhitehouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have my amplifier setup along the long side of the wall nearer the viewer. It works well. The projector base is only 5'8" from the floor but as I am only 5' 3" tall it doesn't bother me at all. What I would have liked are proper cinema seats, we only have a sofa bed at the moment. If I was 15 years younger this would be very useful as I could watch a "good" movie with my wife and go straight to bed after, or even during. But as a 38 year old with 4 children under 7 including twin 5 month olds, this facility is never used. I used B & Q for the material as you can take it back if not used which offset the price premium somewhat. I also used a 4" x 2" for the projector mount. As I have an Espace which wouldn't fit in the garage, this is a brilliant use of the redundant space and I am very happy. I could post some pictures of the finished setup if anyone is interested and could tell me how to do it.

7. ptmbradley

ptmbradley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Can you scan pictures? If so, then why not fill out the form on the gallery page and submit your setup? [​IMG]