1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ellie Price reduction, whats happening?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by uncle eric, Apr 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just noticed from the Ellie adds that their XS3000HT projector has been reduced by 2000 pounds. My first reaction would be to assume that this company are just not selling enough of these CRT projectors. My second would be of sorrow for the folks that paid 5995 for this projector just before this price drop. Are Ellie refunding the customers who paid the full wack?
    Apparently this price drop will be till end of May.
    Perhaps I'm jumping to conclusions here but I feel the increase in May back to the old price is possibly to counter any refund claims by full price payers.
    Everything eventually finds its level therefore I believe the price of this PJ will drop again not long after may. As a CRT fan I'm a little intrigued at the goings on of our only UK CRT manufacturer.

NB, Yes I know these are put together overseas but Ellie is the only UK company even attempting to make CRT projectors.

Eric

2. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,540
    Having spoken to Lynda at Screens UK, I can tell you the following:
    The price reduction is in recognition of the fact that the projector has been given a Best Buy award in the June issue of What Video & TV.
    The projector is reduced in price until May 1st when the magazine comes out.
    The price reduction is being made by the manufacturers in Italy and is being passed on by Screens UK.
    Though I haven't been told either way, there has been no indication that the price will drop again after May 1st.
    I don't know about the situation for existing owners. Only Screens UK can answer that. I would be surprised if the offer were retrospective to customers since it isn't retrospective to Screens UK (as far as I know).

3. gwbailey

gwbailey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The question is...is it any good?

Has anyone got one who can give us a personal review?

The £2000 price drop is a bit strange to me...usually when something wins an award it holds it's price doesn't it not drop it?

Is this a final sales push before they go under?

We'll see....

4. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    Didn't this happen with the last Ellie - discounted before reviews came out so that those that bought on faith were rewarded...

Cheers,
    Liam

5. Lizzard

Lizzard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The rumour was that Barco made the Ellie projectors, that is not true at all after speaking to Barco directly.

Ellie is what i heard produced in India.

It's about 2-3 generations backwards compared to a Barco manufactured now.

6. AndyF

AndyF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've seen one. In Jim's living room no less.

Pictures on an 8 ft screen were excellent. Slightly more detailed than the XS2000, although I doubt those of us with 6ft screens would benefit as much as the scan lines would probably overlap, softening the image. For me, the biggest improvement came from it being fitted with glass lenses. These took away the 'blue halo' you get with the plastic jobs. They also bump up the price by £1250 - ouch.

Would I buy one? Well, with a 6ft screen, no - I'd buy glass lenses for my XS2000 and spend the rest on wine, women and DVDS. If I'd had room for an 8ft screen (and the spare cash), I'd have bought one right there and then. I wouldn't buy it without glass lenses though.

Andy.

7. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    The scan lines shouldn't overlap just because the screen size changes. True, it may be harder to get focus quite as accurate, but we are talking very small differences here.

The only reason for the scan lines to overlap is if the projector is working beyond its sweet spot. This is as true for an 8ft screen as it is a 6ft.

Regards

8. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    The Ellie based on the old american RCF chasis. It is produced in India for an italian company (Maxivideo if I recal). Barco own the company - but that does not make the Ellie a Barco.

9. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Eric, the Ellie is not a UK made projector at all, it is imported from Itay / India. By the same argument you could call any imported product - UK made.

10. AndyF

AndyF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, I've engaged my brain and of course they wouldn't. Why would the scan lines get closer together just 'cos the projector is closer to the screen. The face of the CRT hasn't moved has it. What was I thinking. Always did have trouble with optics :eek:

Cheers,

Andy.

11. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Roland,
    Didn't say they were. My other job is a UK clothing manufacturer. We make everything abroad. Does that make sense?

Eric

12. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Ellie is the brand name of the product. Screens UK is the importer/reseller.

With all respect to James at Screens UK, I'm not so sure that this makes them a manufacturer as Eric appeared to imply in his original post.

Perhaps James would be so kind as to clarify the situation. I'm sure that this would be pertinent information for the Chompy Investigation Unit ;)

I'll put my wooden spoon away now. Night, night. :)

Regards

13. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Does that mean that Runco aren't a US projector manufacturer? ;)

14. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,540
    From the point of view of the consumer, whether a company is a manufacturer or distributor, they still have a responsibility to provide local dealers with the same support. Screens UK are slightly different as they sell direct and so are both distributors and dealers.

15. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Yes, runco don't make anything to my knowlege, everything is OEMed to their specifications. all their current CRT's are made by Barco for instance.

16. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
    What about the UK hi-fi companies who have their products built in the far east...
    or
    Nike don't make any shoes in US so are they a US shoe company?

Gordon
    Just interested in thoughts....

17. Couch Potato

Couch Potato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you could say that if the design or the intellectual property of a product is from the country where the manufacturer is based then it's irrelevant where it is made, it's just down to manufacturing costs and component costs.

Very few company's now manufacture or source all parts from the country of origin, we now live in a global ecomony hence why the US has a slight economic downturn and UK business slows down even though we've got the strongest economy globally at present.

Steve

18. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I think the only connection betwen Barco and Ellie is that they (Barco) make the internal line doubler.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.