1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ellie maintenance issues

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by RanjanB, Jan 23, 2001.

1. RanjanB

RanjanB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I spoke to a sales guy yesterday (who incidentally was trying to flog me an LCD projector.)

He told me that all CRT projectors needed a professional to come round every 8 months or so to adjust the three beams so that they converge properly. Is this true for the Ellie?

Also, he said that if you stick the projector in a coffee table and someone nudges it slightly, then you need to call round a professional to re-install it! Is this true for the Ellie?

Please let me know if I have been told porkies

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,909
    Point 1: Routine adjustments - this is generally true of 3-tube CRT devices, but I can't speak specifically for the Ellie. As they age, the relative size/position of the 3 images drifts, and need readjusting. Whether the Ellie is better than "normal" I can't say.

Point 2: Definitely true. All 3-tube CRT devices must be permanently fixed in position. The smallest shift in position will destroy the image setup, so unless you can put it back exactly where it was originally set up, it will require readjustment.

Most CRT devices offer user adjustments for image convergence. As to how easy these are to use to achieve the perfect(?) image, I can't comment.

My advice - despite all "pro's" of CRT machines, esp., the Ellie, you will find described in this forum, if there is any likelihood of movement - pick an LCD or DLP device with a single lens.

(A completely satisfied Sony VPL-VW10HT user)

------------------
    You should not drink and bake.....

3. RichardA

RichardA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, these points are basically true of all CRT projectors.

However they can be managed - the drift of the unit over time can be a real pain, but if the installation is correct (i.e. not a the wrong throw distance, correct angle to the screen etc..) then the drift will be less. It will also be affected by ambient temperature as well.

The problems of mounting in a coffee table and then knocking it - a very real problem - and I wouldn't want to put an LCD or DLP in that same situation either - jogging very hot lamps does them no good either. If you want to do this kind of thing don't mount the projector to the table - sit it on it's own platform and then have the 'table' over the top - the table can then get knocked a little without it being transmitted to the projector.

If you are a little technically literate then it is not that difficult to keep a projector lined up yourself - The hard bit is getting it installed in the first place - the only regular tweak is to convergence.

However for anyone who is not completley happy with that should certainly budget in to the price of any projector a service agreement to cover the regular 'service' items (e.g. tweaking CRT's or new lamps for LCD/DLP)

It is always a balancing act between the optimum picture capability of CRT against the expense of keeping it like that!

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,781
    Richard A has covered all the bases. The hard part is the initial geometry adn installation. If this is done pretty well it minimises drift. We have some Seleco800's at clients that I installed over a year ago. I went back to see them before Christmas for a pre-holiday check up (not required, just thought it'd be nice).They hadn't drifted enough for the clients to even have noticed.

The touch up required was a 5 minute job that the owners could have carried out had they been inclined ( or shown how).

My LARGE crt projector is on a pallet, covered with a blanket, with a hush box built over it. My cats, my girlfriend and I manage to have friends over, parties etc... using the top of the box as a table for drinks. So far I haven't had to re-do the geometry because the thing has moved.

LCD/DLP is much more flexible in use and installation, but CRT is a bit more robust thatn folk make out ( that's why they use the things in military installations where they have to be on 24hrs a day 365 days a year)

Gordon

------------------
    StereoStereo
    Intelligent Solutions for Intelligent Homes !

5. GarryF

GarryF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    If you have ever messed with the geometry of the picture of your computer monitor then you are half way to understanding how to converge a CRT. A CRT projector has the same basic controls as a PC monitor, the main difference is that there are 3 sets one for each of the 3 tubes.

I would say it's definitely worth getting it professionally calibrated when installed, after that if you can alter the geometry of your PC monitor you will probably be able to fine tune your CRT picture easily enough.

6. charles

charles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Iv`e got to say that,i would prefer the odd touch up with crt than the picture compromise option of lcd.
    As Gordon states,they are more robust than given credit for-and most statements about crt drift and regular re-convergence may be applicable to 10 years ago-but not now.(its worth mentioning that these statements are normally made by non-crt owners as well!)

As regards the Ellie,iv`e just had the convergence tweaked-though i must say the picture was very good before tweaking,and though i could have done it myself-i`m an amateur in such things.
    I had it tweaked by John from Screens u.k. and all i can say is wow!..this fella is a perfectionist..if you have a crt-any crt-get this guy to tweak it,you`ll be amazed what he can do with your picture!!!!