1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ellie "DUET" screen problem.

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by sjb, Dec 27, 2004.

1. sjb

sjb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,

I've just installed an Ellie "DUET" multi format screen ( 2.4mtr wide ).

Can anyone advise whether I have to program the screen for the different aspect ratios ?

Pressing the buttons on the remote control just makes the screen go up and down like a bloody yo-yo !

Can't find any instructions on setting this sucker up !

Any help much appreciated ! :lease:

Regards,

Stan.

2. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Have you contacted Ellie?

3. sjb

sjb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Not yet, I think they're on holiday until the 4th.

It's been a bit of a pain fiddling with the remote to get the screen the right size.

Will be getting in touch as soon as they're back !

From the description and pictures on their website, I was under the impression these screens were tab-tensioned, the one I have here certainly isn't !!

Regards,

Stan.

4. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Hmm, sounds familiar

5. MovieAddict

MovieAddict

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Stan,
    I bought the same model DUET screen from Ellie about 6 months ago and had exactly the same problems as you.
    I would have thought they would be stating clearly that it is not a tabbed tension screen they are actually supplying!
    The other problem is that you get 2 remote units (one for the white screen and the other for the masking screen).
    I originally thought there would be one remote, pre-programmed with the 4 or 5 different formats, but agian, this was not the case. You have to start and stop the 2 screens independently. It's ok once you get used to it.

6. sjb

sjb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Pixel123,

I managed to get things sorted out.

Turns out, I had wired up both control boxes and activated one remote control, however, it activated with both control boxes !

I got in touch with Lynda/Jim at Screens UK, who advised I should have wired up one control box and activated the remote, then disconnect that control box and connect the second box and activate second remote with it.

Jim ended up sending me a new control to replace one of the existing boxes, everything's fine now :thumbsup: .

Jim advised that the screens were coming in from Italy with a control box fitted to them, programed with the 4 aspect ratios, working off one remote, however, he ended up telling them to leave the control box off and he'd supply the one remote to control each screen, the main reason for doing this was, there are alot more than four aspects used between various dvds etc...

Jim advised putting the white screen down, switching projector on and displaying start of film, then bring white screen up to bottom of picture and black screen down to top of picture. Now that I've used it a few times, I can see what Jim means about the numerous aspect ratios, with the two remotes you can fit the screen to any ratio you want.

As far as the tab-tensioning ( or lack of it ! ) is concerned, I think they need to change the picture and descriptions on their website - very misleading !!!

Regards,

Stan

7. MovieAddict

MovieAddict

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Stan,
    Glad to hear you're screen is set up ok now.
    Overall, I'm quite satisfied with mine.

Jim is very helpful and friendly, but its surprising that after 6 months they have not changed the website description. I only fully realised mine was not tabbed tensioned after I'd spent several hours putting it in place and wiring it up!

Anyway, the screens' ability to mask to any of the widescreen aspect ratios is great and definitely makes movie viewing more like a real cinema. So, it has been worth the extra money.

8. MATT JENNER

MATT JENNER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I have the duet tab tensioned screen, and like you guys i am happy with it,

you can use the limiter on the white screen so the screen automatically stops at the biggest pitcure - ie a 16 x 9 formatt, i have done this cos i was fed up with the screen unrolling to the floor.
    Jim again helped, which is good considering i bought this over a year ago,
    have you guys done the same ? adjusted the limiter so the screen stops at bottom of a 16 x 9 pic ?

9. MovieAddict

MovieAddict

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Matt,
    No, I don't use the limiter. I'm used to positioning the screens manually as there are so many slight variations on aspect ratios. Sounds like a good idea though.