Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Ellie Advantage Screen & 12 Volt relay

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by BOBFAN, Dec 15, 2004.

1. BOBFAN

BOBFAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Recently purchased an Ellie Advantage 250 & Jim at screens UK also mentioned that they sold a relay for the screen for a 12 volt relay. Not being very technical on these things it seemed like a perfect solution to save me trying to find the right relay for the job. However when I gave it to our electrician for wiring the screen up he said it needed a PC board with screw terminals or some sort of pug in board as you cant solder 240v onto the pins of the relay. I tried our local Maplins but they didn't have anything.
    Has anyone else bought one of these relays & if so what did you do? I'm not sure if our electrician is just being awkward or if he's right. Any help would be much appreciated, it's taken us a little while but this is the last thing left to do to get us up & running!

David
    :)

2. fortean

fortean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Hi David,

Just solder some mains wire to the relay terminals and connect the other end to a screw terminal strip so you can easily connect and disconnect your screen cable.

If the relay is fitted to a PCB then the relay is soldered to the track carrying mains electricity. This track may not be able to carry the same current as the mains wire.

If you plug the relay into a socket then you are relying on a small contact area for the join. This is not as good as a properly soldered joint with the correct size wire.

Use a sleeve over the solder joint for additional protection. Be sure to use the correct size cable too.

Regards, John.

3. BOBFAN

BOBFAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi John

Many thanks for that, all sounds good to me. If our electrician won't do it think I can probably manage that myself.

All the best

David