1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ellie 2000

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Mora, Jul 16, 2003.

1. Mora

Mora
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Does anyone know where i can preview an Ellie 2000 in the south east ?

I'm currently in the market for home cinema setup, current ideas are to have:-

Panny 6series 42'' linked to an iscan ultra,

6 to 8 ft electric screen dropping down in front of this linked to either :-

ellie 2000 (£4000)
    ellie 3000 (£6000) or Barco 7 lt (£6000)

And i need to investigarte DLP....

I'm planning visits to Musical Images in beckenham, Av sales in Tunbridge, and perhaps Sevenaks hifi..

Any thoughts on projector solution would be gratefull

regards

Mora

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    Ellie sell direct so I think you'll have to get in a car and go and see the guys in Solihull.

Gordon

3. Sammy Jankis

Sammy Jankis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a demo of the ellie 2000 and then had a demo of a Barco 708 from Roland at B4. I bought the 708 because for me it had a much better picture. This kind of thing is very much down to personal preference, some people actually choose DLP or LCD ( poor devils). I cannot comment on the ellie 3000 or the 7lt but in this kind of technology you get what you pay for, if you can afford more then spend more. Don't let the shop salesmen push you to a DLP, for them it is a much easier sale than a CRT. Go out and see as many as you can and make an informed decision.

4. MATT JENNER

MATT JENNER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi

I was an ellie 2000 owner, but i upgraded to the 3000, i have their new motorised masking screen and the ellie 3000 , i live in Gravesend 10 mins drive from Bluewater,
    you are welcome to come and see it running in a home setting rather than a shop or demo room, which i found to be the best option, as these crt look great when set up in a demo room, but tend to look different when you get them home,
    i have mine set up in my small front room of 13 x 12 i get a 9 ft 16:9 picture and it looks great.

5. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Mora I'm in Reading
    I'd be happy to show you a 708 or the cine 7

6. Mora

Mora
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Matt, thanks for the offer...

I'd love to take you up on it and come have a look.

At the moment, I'm taking delivery of a panny6 42'' on friday from the wonderfull chaps at Av-Sales.
    Total cost so far is like £5700.. (makes sure missus doesn't see my typing this bit...)

This includes an ex demo glass stand, (£313) denon av amp,(£1500), cables (£whatever), jb convertor box (£150), panel (£3076)
    and some yamaha speakers (£200), and Cambridge audio DVD55 (£150) from Richer Sounds. The DVD supports just about every format, has component out, and NTSC and PAL progressive.

They also havea DVD57 for 200 quid, but im not sure what you get extra for your cash. (makes the tea maybe ?) :D

This setup will all be moved into the cinema room when its ready to go, (building work needed), so when thats underway, i'd love to give you a bell and come take a looksee.

I live about 10 minutes away near Bluewater :)

I'm going to check out DLP technology, i visited Musical Images in beckenham and saw a sim2 £9k model, i was pretty impressed, but, like you say - its in perfect conditions and will have had experts pouring over it for weeks to get the best possible picture.

I can go either way, CRT or DLP, the projector will never get moved.

My 'budget' for the projector alone is £6k max. (Any more and i'm on the streetcorner begging for my supper! )

I Haven't heard of this screen that adapts to screen size, and need INPUT INPUT on this baby.....
    :zonked:

Cheers

Steve

7. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    .....I hate to say it but not all DVD players are created equal/..... You want to get a quality DVD player for the best picture and sound. PJ's are like speakers. They just show what they are given.....

8. Mora

Mora
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yea, that might be true gordon, and i will surely find this out.

but i'm not the sort of person to spend £700 quid on a dvd player. :)

The trouble with deciding, is that you can only really judge the benefit of a 700 quid player by viewing it next to the one you have.

And even if the picture was slightly better, would it be £550 quids worth better?

Many people like myself wonder what the benefits of an expensive dvd player would bring, i mean, logically a dvd just reads 0 and 1s, it can either do it, or not. it either reads all the information, or it misses some.

I guess its the bit inbetween, with what it does with the data that makes a difference?

Steve

9. MATT JENNER

MATT JENNER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    hi Mona

Just give me a ring when you wanna come and have a look,
    the sim 2 i would not go for, as it was one of the earlier models and from looking into the lcd forum it was plagued by the rainbow effect, if you do go and see one in a shop/demo room, make sure they aint running it through a scaler, they normally do this as it improves the picture quality , they also tend to have the scaler in another room so you wont see it, ( i found this out )
    so check and if it is ask them to disconect it, and then you will see the picture you will get when you open it up at home,
    it is a good sales trick, but it is really disapointing,
    the crt guys in this forum will say once you get the crt properly setup you will have a much better picture and one that is free from pixels and other artifacts,
    most in this forum set up them all the time and if you go for the ellie from screens uk they also do a great job of setting up the projectors and wont leave till you are 100% satisfied,

keep us informed of how the prject is going

Matt