Elite slow startup

845H

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Has anyone noticed their Elites are taking a while to boot up? Where as before my Premium booted up in less than 5 seconds my Elite takes around 20.

I have already swapped it over in my local Gamestation but this 2nd one does the same. I've also phoned up M$ who claimed to have never to have heard of this issue but have escalated it in case it grows, could Gamestation have a faulty batch?

If i leave a hd-dvd movie in the addon drive it takes a lot longer to boot up

Has anyone noticed their Elites are taking a while to boot up? Where as before my Premium booted up in less than 5 seconds my Elite takes around 20.

I have already swapped it over in my local Gamestation but this 2nd one does the same. I've also phoned up M$ who claimed to have never to have heard of this issue but have escalated it in case it grows, could Gamestation have a faulty batch?

My first ever 360 did this, it had 3 red lights within 6 months.

Mine takes a little longer to boot than my premium did.

After i switch it on i get a blank screen for about 3-4 seconds bedfore it decides to boot. It doesn't bother me though...

Mines is fine, not noticed any slow down on startup.

Mine was quick to rip cd,s but now i have about 150 cd,s ripped to it it takes a while to rip cd,s now........wonder why that is?

If i leave a hd-dvd movie in the addon drive it takes a lot longer to boot up

same here, this can add up to 10 seconds to the boot time!

Yeah, its definetly around 20 seconds and its EVERYTIME. Not happy considering I had a perfect Premium machine that was quicker.

Im going to wait until they get another load in before swapping over again, its such a pain!

Yeah, its definetly around 20 seconds and its EVERYTIME. Not happy considering I had a perfect Premium machine that was quicker.

Im going to wait until they get another load in before swapping over again, its such a pain!

Different mainboard different (bigger) hardrive though might have something to do with it. Depends on what the 360 is doing and what its checking while booting up. If it checks the integrity of the drive then its going to take longer.

Different mainboard different (bigger) hardrive though might have something to do with it.

Sorry mate but that's not the case, as my Elite boots up in about 5 seconds top.

Sorry mate but that's not the case, as my Elite boots up in about 5 seconds top.

Mine does too. But I've got my 20gig drive in it until my transfer cable turns up and its always online.

This should clear up a few things....

There's no way your Xbox 360 can boot up in 5 seconds Its simply not possible, the boot up animation takes more than 5 seconds to complete for christs sake!

I highly doubt anyone saying less than 10 seconds. It takes a good second or so for the picture to appear on screen after you press the "on" button -> Logo animation about 6-8 seconds -> pause while game disc is detected\DVD\verification of that about 2-5 seconds depending on scratches etc -> And the big one, what peripherals you have connected and related content.

There's so many things that increase the boot up time...

If you have any of the following it will increase...

Ethernet cable\wireless router connected
Hard Drive
External USB pen\hard drive
Lots of ripped music
Disc in drive
Disc in HD DVD drive
Patches (these get applied at boot up each time the box is turned on believe it or not!!!)
If your box is set to output HD this will make a small difference
Xbox live games downloaded
Your user profile size

...Its basically like booting a computer under there.

It WILL take a long time, 20 seconds is nothing unusual.

There's no way your Xbox 360 can boot up in 5 seconds.

Think what you like, mine takes 5 seconds from pressing power to being in the dash.

Think what you like, mine takes 5 seconds from pressing power to being in the dash.

I know how long my premium too and Im noticing a big difference here, I had more stuff on my premium Hdd than I do on this new one. Im going to call M$ soon and tell them to send me a new one rather than me keep going back to my local Gamestation.

Im talking about a fresh 120gb hdd on my Elite with nothing else connected and no game inside so I dont think your points are valid Robo.

Im talking about a fresh 120gb hdd on my Elite with nothing else connected and no game inside so I dont think your points are valid Robo.

Precisely mate. Even if you had a lot of data on the HDD, it would mean nothing anyway, as the dash and anything to do with it are held on the XBox 360's internal flash. The only things that could affect it are discs left in drive (which adds about 2 seconds tops) or if you were connected to a router that takes long to hand out IPs to its clients (I use Netgear and it's practically instant).

mine is 19-20 seconds and without hard disk. (mines isnt elite)

only the wireless adaptor is connected

Different makes of TV will take longer/shorter to do their HDMI and HDCP handshaking and negotiating. Bootup times may also differ depending on whether the TV is switched to the input used by the XB360 Elite.

Different makes of TV will take longer/shorter to do their HDMI and HDCP handshaking and negotiating. Bootup times may also differ depending on whether the TV is switched to the input used by the XB360 Elite.

Irrelevant because Im using exactly the same TV and cable. Before my TV recognised my premium via VGA straight away, now its taking ages and I havent even tested HDMI yet!

Unbelievable, I was promised a callback regarding my issue from M$ within 72 hours on Monday. lo and behold no call has been made and now I've been told to wait a further 48 hours now as there was a problem with the systems.

I cant believe one of the biggest/richest companys in the world cant fufill a simple callback. After blowing my top the agent said they would try and get a supervisor on the phone, she kept me on hold and then told me they were all in meetings. Then she said she would arrange for it to be repaired to which I argued was unacceptable because it would mean being without my console for up to 20 days. I told them I wouldnt accept anything else other than a direct swap for a brand new Elite, not another one from my local Gamestation.

I've got no choice but to wait for a reply within 48 hours, UNBELIEVEABLE!

I seriously doubt the issue is down to a batch from Gamestation m8 and to be honest the bigger the company the harder it is to find someone to take ownership of your issue. Good luck anyway getting the magic fix, for the record my 360 takes around 20 seconds to boot up and I do not see this as being an issue.

Bash,

Just a thought, but do you boot to dash or to disk? also do you have a profile set to auto-sign in?

My 360s (Elite & Premium) both are set to boot to dash and no profile.. they take approx 5-8 seconds to boot..

Signing in to profile/live seems to take a random amount of time, from 10-20 seconds..

You could try just booting to dash without a profile and see what happens.

Bash,

Just a thought, but do you boot to dash or to disk? also do you have a profile set to auto-sign in?

My 360s (Elite & Premium) both are set to boot to dash and no profile.. they take approx 5-8 seconds to boot..

Signing in to profile/live seems to take a random amount of time, from 10-20 seconds..

You could try just booting to dash without a profile and see what happens.

I set to dash. I'll try it mate although my premium was set the same.

To be fair does the Elite work. Does it play games etc as expected. There are a lot of different reasons it could potentially take a long time to boot up.

You have firmware and software involved in all of this and you have to bear in mind my firmware, your software, your firmware my software is the same as once its written it just gets replicated and flashed/programmed into the ce device. So differences in startup are likely to be differences in setup, data, handshaking or the actual hardware. Now the hardware is made by different firms and production line to production line is different do we know that every single component is exactly the same sourced from the same supplier and from the same batch? No. Plus this console is'nt a premium it IS constructed differently. I don't think you will get anywhere with this.

Randomly swapping consoles may or may not make a difference to a problem that probably is'nt a problem.

Unless you can prove the xbox does'nt perform its expected duties or course.

mine takes 18 seconds, connected bt hub (eithernet), game in the tray, hd dvd in the player

To be fair does the Elite work. Does it play games etc as expected. There are a lot of different reasons it could potentially take a long time to boot up.

You have firmware and software involved in all of this and you have to bear in mind my firmware, your software, your firmware my software is the same as once its written it just gets replicated and flashed/programmed into the ce device. So differences in startup are likely to be differences in setup, data, handshaking or the actual hardware. Now the hardware is made by different firms and production line to production line is different do we know that every single component is exactly the same sourced from the same supplier and from the same batch? No. Plus this console is'nt a premium it IS constructed differently. I don't think you will get anywhere with this.

Randomly swapping consoles may or may not make a difference to a problem that probably is'nt a problem.

Unless you can prove the xbox does'nt perform its expected duties or course.

and if his xbox is working fine now the new one might not...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom