Elite HDMI - image persistence in dark areas problem

Johnmcl7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(apologies if this should go in one of the TV forums, seems more like an issue with the Elite so I thought I'd start here)

Hey folks, having a problem with the hdmi connection on my Elite - whenever there is a dark scene, the previous data is imprinted on it. Sort of like really, really bad ghosting except it doesn't disappear it just sticks there. I noticed some issues with Bullet Witch but didn't pay much attention as it doesn't have many dark scenes. However playing Bioshock it's very noticeable and very annoying. The WB is out in these shots but it highlights the issue, this is taken in the lift down - I've spun around from the bright door then hit the pause button and you can see it's all still there:

189824193-M.jpg

Again in the lift, I've turned again and you can see the lit joint has left a trail:

189824082-M.jpg

And one just outside the lift, you can see as I've moved it's created the effect in the dark area:

189824148-M.jpg

This is the first time I've used the hdmi socket on the TV, I can't remember the exact model number but it's the 32 inch Samsung LCD that was released around the time of the original 360. It looks to work fine on all other inputs (been using a Premium over component pretty much since launch), it's just hdmi that seems to be the issue.

I do have another slightly newer Samsung TV with hdmi, I plan on moving the Elite through and trying it on that but would appreciate any thoughts people have. Incidentally, the moment I power down the 360 and the TV returns to a black screen it's a solid black - no persistance there. Also, this is not standard burn-in/image persistance as it disappears when something else overwrites it.

Any thoughts appreciated, none too happy right now.

John

Have you tried lowering your reference level on the 360?

I found this was caused by DNIe on my old samsung LCD

try disabling it in the tv menu and see if it helps?
Good idea, I've just tried it with the DNIe demo and it looks like it's still appearing - however with the digital NR (different feature?) it seems better. As it's daylight at the moment the effect is harder to see, I'll do some more experimentation this evening.

When you had the DNIe issue, did it only affect hdmi?

John

Good idea, I've just tried it with the DNIe demo and it looks like it's still appearing - however with the digital NR (different feature?) it seems better. As it's daylight at the moment the effect is harder to see, I'll do some more experimentation this evening.

John

Hi i just noticed this when watching heroes hd-dvd but only after i turned digital NR off, when i turned it on it seemed to go away ill check later on bioshock...

Ive just got my elite and am using HDMI, before that i was using a core with component..

John

My samsung didnt have HDMI , it was an older model so maybe DNIe is better now. But it affected all inputs and looking at your photos it looks exactly how mine looked.

You might find that as its the first time youve used HDMI, that the tv has individual settings for each socket . so everything will be factory set. Have a look at how say component is setup and try similar settings for HDMI

good luck

Hi i just noticed this when watching heroes hd-dvd but only after i turned digital NR off, when i turned it on it seemed to go away ill check later on bioshock...

Ive just got my elite and am using HDMI, before that i was using a core with component..
That's interesting to know, please post back with your findings.

My samsung didnt have HDMI , it was an older model so maybe DNIe is better now. But it affected all inputs and looking at your photos it looks exactly how mine looked.

You might find that as its the first time youve used HDMI, that the tv has individual settings for each socket . so everything will be factory set. Have a look at how say component is setup and try similar settings for HDMI

good luck

Definitely possible, it's ages since I configured the TV so it's worth checking.

edit: Definitely the digital NR although it seems to cause no issue when on and the 360 is throught component (this setting seems to be global)

John

I had EXACTLY the same problem on my Samsung. Set your reference levels to expanded on the 360 menus and it all goes away.

Hey guys.

I'm having the exact same problem with my Xbox 360 Elite through HDMI on a Samsung 26" LE26R72B HDTV.

The only way i can sort of get rid of it is by setting the reference level to standard (it's really bad on the expanded and intermediate settings). I'm not happy with the standard setting either as the picture is washed out. I've also tried turning on and off DNIe and Digital NR but this has no effect whatsoever. I had no such problems through component either.

Could it possibly be a problem with the HDMI cable? If so could someone recommend me a HDMI cable that i could try and i'll see if that makes any difference.

Help and thoughts on this would really be appreciated.

Shocker

Hi

I've found something similar with the Elite on HDMI when playing Halo 2 - not noticed it on anything else yet. My TV is the Sony SXRD 70" so def not a common TV fault. The image is actually like a totally different scene not just screen persistence (which doesn't happen on the Sony anyway). I haven't tried changing the Xbox reference level settings cos to me the problem is in processing in the Elite so changing the reference level is only going to mask the problem not cure it.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom