Elite Dangerous (PS4)

No, if I land manually I have to wait until the ship is down to put the kettle on or go for a wee :thumbsup:
With the DC I can do that as soon as I get within 7.5km.
Multitasking for the win!
Which is exactly what i just said.

If you're not doing something out of the game then manually landing will be quicker, meaning you can then get your next mission quicker and start it quicker.

All very true but unless your a proper Dave Brailsford marginal gains type of gamer, the seconds saved are pretty much inconsequential.

I can land manually, and I can do it quicker than a DC. I still use one on most ships because most of the time I can't be arsed to land manually, especially if I'm just to-ing and fro-ing running missions. It's a convenience thing, and generally I don't mind giving up a small slot to accommodate a DC.

Each to their own though :)

D'oh, the forum software posts replies and shows them without updating the thread. Missed that post. You even mention the sacred art of making a brew while docking.

Sure, you can dock quicker without the DC, but the main thing I'm loving about this game is the fact that it supports so may different playstyles. I'm one decent exploration trip from Pioneer, but still Mostly Harmless. Haven't flown a ship with a single weapon in about a month. For some reason I can't explain I'm really enjoying tourist missions. Jump, Skim, Honk. There's something quite relaxing about realising you've covered 400 light years in under 10 minutes. I'm pretty certain that would bore a whole bunch of players and, to be honest I have no idea why I enjoy it.

Just done a few more Planatary Scan missions and have a couple of questions.

I picked up four missions in total from two different people. All four missions had different descriptions to which faction it was against etc. However when I completed the first mission two of the missions completed.
Then for the second mission I checked the galaxy map and had two different locations marked. So I picked the nearest and once again when I completed the scan both missions completed.

Is this normal or have I run into a bug ?

Secondly can I attack the bases defences turrets/drones in my ship ?
I was thinking of adding some torpedoes or something to the ship and swooping in on the base.

Another question for Horas users:
How do you have it configured for SRV driving? I've not really spent much time using SRVs, and then only for resource and barnacle hunting. Driving about using the Horas is OK, but I'm not certain how I'd handle any kind of combat since I can't see how you'd control where you're driving and where you're shooting at the same time.
Anyone come up with a workable setup?

Turned my icourier into a fire ball last night, modified shield bank deployment and dirty drive boosting really don't mix on a small ship.:zonked:

I had a fair bit of success with the old collect limpets at Unidentified Signal Sources. They're handy for just making collecting mats a lot less tedious.

The Orca is a weird ship to fly, the more I use it. It pitches and rolls like a medium ship, but the yaw is really responsive for some reason. Quite different to the Asp or Python.

Another question for Horas users:
How do you have it configured for SRV driving? I've not really spent much time using SRVs, and then only for resource and barnacle hunting. Driving about using the Horas is OK, but I'm not certain how I'd handle any kind of combat since I can't see how you'd control where you're driving and where you're shooting at the same time.
Anyone come up with a workable setup?
I don't have a Horas ;) but the only thing I changed was in Driving then Left/Right button steering to the relevant direction of the twist on the flight stick.
I can retain full control of the turret whilst still being able to drive around. It works for me but might not be for everyone. Out of turret mode you can still turn left/Right with the flight stick as per normal.

All my modules failed except for life support so I sat there and got gangbanged by the 3 pirates I was fighting. I never took much notice of the extra heat generated by engineers mods but I will look a bit closer at it now. I could put a heat sink on but I prefer a shield booster, I'll legit next time and let the shields regen, nothing can catch me in an icourier.

Made over 20 million today doing 4 passanger mission's, had two pay out 9 million each for less than 300LY trips.
Made the 50 million back I lost of the Beluga when I threw the dummy out the pram.

Bought another Beluga :rotfl:.

Now I need some engineering parts for some grade 5 FSD upgrades. Going to focus on getting these over the weekend.

Now I need some engineering parts for some grade 5 FSD upgrades. Going to focus on getting these over the weekend.
Which items do you need?

I did a "you" yesterday - almost - as my Anaconda got stuck getting out of the space station. Cue lasers. Cue 9m Cr rebuy. Swore profusely. Really? Let's do it again. Got stuck. This time I quit the game in disgust ten seconds before I died. Bad I know... but... I was a bit hammered and was probably waking up my neighbours with swear words. :)

I think it's because I didn't lower my landing gear before trying to get out, possibly. Not had this kind of trouble before, even with the Anaconda for the dozen or so times getting out of a station.

Which items do you need?

I did a "you" yesterday - almost - as my Anaconda got stuck getting out of the space station. Cue lasers. Cue 9m Cr rebuy. Swore profusely. Really? Let's do it again. Got stuck. This time I quit the game in disgust ten seconds before I died. Bad I know... but... I was a bit hammered and was probably waking up my neighbours with swear words. :)

I think it's because I didn't lower my landing gear before trying to get out, possibly. Not had this kind of trouble before, even with the Anaconda for the dozen or so times getting out of a station.
After a few trials I found going very slowly at the opening works, I don't go over 30 and haven't crashed so far. It's a pain in the neck but once I am used to it it should become quicker.

I need 3 things but without looking I cannot remember the names of two of the items, I know I need Arsenic which is from planet mining. One item is from those Signal sites where you find cargo floating about and the third item is from wake scanning.

EDIT: Just found this out I need Arsenic x 1 Chemical Manipulators x 1 and Datamined Wake Exceptions x1.

Last edited:
Just one more rank to go before I hit Duke for the Empire then I'll be able to get my hands on the Imperial Cutter. Upgrade costs for the big ships are eye watering, the A rated power plant is almost the same price as the ship:confused:. Might have to go for B rated modules for the time being or just wait until I've got enough in the bank to buy the ship and A rate it straight off the bat.........that would only cost me 800 million credits:D

Just one more rank to go before I hit Duke for the Empire then I'll be able to get my hands on the Imperial Cutter. Upgrade costs for the big ships are eye watering, the A rated power plant is almost the same price as the ship:confused:. Might have to go for B rated modules for the time being or just wait until I've got enough in the bank to buy the ship and A rate it straight off the bat.........that would only cost me 800 million credits:D
Tell me about it, it cost me 100 million for an A-rated FSD and Thruster. That's my Twix and Pickled Onion Monster Munch fund gone down the swanny.

I need 3 things but without looking I cannot remember the names of two of the items, I know I need Arsenic which is from planet mining. One item is from those Signal sites where you find cargo floating about and the third item is from wake scanning.

EDIT: Just found this out I need Arsenic x 1 Chemical Manipulators x 1 and Datamined Wake Exceptions x1.
Yup - I've done a few Grade 5 FSD upgrades myself but was just wondering if you needed a particular one item out of those three. You've nailed what you need to do, but if you want some advice from a relative n00b I'd say that:

1) Arsenic can actually be found on a planet in the same system as Farseer is located. I forget the actual planet (6B / 7A / 7B) but I'll check if you want me to.
2) Datamined Wake Exceptions I just picked up by hanging around stations and scanning wakes. Nothing special there just RNG and time. Similar to me hanging around the ladies loos at nightclubs and picking up wom--- no wait that's for another time.
3) Chemical Manipulators. Ugh. This will be a little painful. I think I posted earlier that your best chance is going to an Anarchy planet and a) checking out any Combat Aftermath signals (like you said), and b) going to HazRes sites and destroying any Type 9s and Type 7s that may appear. I did read about other scenarios but it didn't work for me as the Type 9 / 7s were only 'Competent' and didn't drop Manipulators. Hence the 'HazRes' not normal, low, or maybe even high.

Good luck. It is worth it. :)

After a few trials I found going very slowly at the opening works, I don't go over 30 and haven't crashed so far. It's a pain in the neck but once I am used to it it should become quicker.

Get yourself over to Dav's Hope for you Chemical Manipulators. If you do search on Google it will give you the location. Plus there are few more rare items that you can find there for engineer upgrades.

For the Datamined Wake Exceptions find a system in Outbreak state once you get there set filters in the navigation computer to only show points of interest. Once the filter is set you should see a POI called Distribution Centre. Fly over there and start scanning the wakes of ships leaving the area. There is a contant flow of ships coming and going so it shouldn't take you long to get what you need.

I'm farming mats for level 5 FSD on all my ships at the moment, but I level 3'd them all pretty quickly since I more or less can't turn around without finding materials for those. I slapped a level 4 on my Orca and can get around 36 ly jump range with a full load.

Thing is, as far as I can tell there's no reason not to accept an ok roll when engineering a base module. You've spent the mats anyway, so as long as the roll you got results in a modules which is better than the one you've got you may as well keep it. You can always roll again an see what difference it makes.

And the only reason not to stick early level improvements on while you get your engineer relationship up and collect the materials for that level 5 upgrade might be that you want the mats for other projects. I found that mats for anything up to level 3 were really abundant and easily found without really making much effort to look for them.

My experience with this is only with tour guide/explorer stuff like FSD, DSS, scanners and thrusters. Mats for low level combat upgrades might be harder to come by. I can see engineering weapons might be a bitch, since you'll often have 6 guns to collect mats for as opposed to one FSD.

I have been hunting Arsenic and found 9 pieces so far, I also found about 45 cargo containers with some holding gold. I also had to fight a few drones with some of them having a bounty on them.

I've not had a chance to play this for a couple of weeks, think i will visit my first engineer today and see what that is all about.

@sneeks That'll be Todd then? He's not bad if you like multi cannons. Felicity Farseer is the one you want off the bat as she'll upgrade your FSD for you making it easier to get around. And thrusters and a few others things too. You'll need Meta-Alloys though.

Which reminds me, I *must* unlock The Dweller at some point. Does he do Burst Lasers as well?

Have spent a fair few hours running missions around Keries seeing that Ochosi is now in bloody Lockdown! Quite a few REP+++ passenger missions ranking me up while earning some money. The Python really is a versatile little wonder.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom