Elipson Prestige Facet 7.2.4 Speaker Package Review & Comments

lgans316

Distinguished Member
The sub's frequency response is disappointing. 27Hz is not good enough at this price tag. The other speaker's response looks very impressive.

Mallardo

The sub's frequency response is disappointing. 27Hz is not good enough at this price tag. The other speaker's response looks very impressive.
Funny that the reviewer doesn't mention this as being an issue with the system, after he has actually listened to it.....

Abacus

Banned
Thing is, you have 2 x 10” subs not just 1 x 12 or 15” sub, therefore you will have much more bass power then the specs indicate, this combined with the room will probably put the larger (And technically lower frequency) single sub to shame. (Not forgetting a better balanced bass in the room)

Bill

chiro81

2 subs will have better SPL and flatter response but not better for lower frequency which is lacking on this sub and important for home theatre viewing.

The other big question mark is WHY GO DIPOLE?? Surrounds should NEVER be dipole on atmos...never. Big fail no wonder it is so cheap

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
@Steve Withers

" I would certainly urge manufacturers like Bowers & Wilkins, Q Acoustics, Arendal, and XTZ to consider developing an Atmos option, because it's the question I get asked more than any other when I review a speaker package. "
After talking with Monitor Audios tech guy he basically said they don`t believe the upfiring hype enough. Not everyone has flat & reflective optimal height ceiling and sitting close enough for it to work. Then the buyer will get disappointed and starts to cry how bad X brands upfiring speakers are, while this might not be fault of the speakers! They want a product that works for everyone. I assume many other brands think the same way.

Reading members thoughts here it seems height channels on front wall/side wall high up works great, better than upfiring for many. But one needs understanding wife/gf.

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
I’d quite like to try a 7.2.2 with the powered versions of the Prestige. But that would be a problem with the upfiring speakers...

A Dirac processor, the Dirac equipped Nad perhaps, would be interesting.

A thought for my HT plans.

SonOfSJ

The other big question mark is WHY GO DIPOLE?? Surrounds should NEVER be dipole on atmos...never. Big fail
On what scientific basis do you say that??

Steve Withers

Reviewer
@Steve Withers

After talking with Monitor Audios tech guy he basically said they don`t believe the upfiring hype enough. Not everyone has flat & reflective optimal height ceiling and sitting close enough for it to work. Then the buyer will get disappointed and starts to cry how bad X brands upfiring speakers are, while this might not be fault of the speakers! They want a product that works for everyone. I assume many other brands think the same way.

Reading members thoughts here it seems height channels on front wall/side wall high up works great, better than upfiring for many. But one needs understanding wife/gf.
I agree, and I specifically mentioned that you need a flat reflective ceiling for the best results in the review. It's always tricky with height and especially overhead speakers, primarily because most partners don't want more speakers in the lounge. So in those circumstances, and assuming you have an appropriate ceiling, an upward-firing speaker is a compromise that can be quite effective.

kbfern

Distinguished Member

GrannySmith

Why on earth are Elipson not offering the 7SR dipoles in a white finish, or even titanium...black just looks so oppressive mounted high up on modern décor walls. Shame, they just lost a sale...

SonOfSJ

Nice review Steve:smashin: just to point out though XTZ do have an Atmos speaker it's the S2 and has been available for some time.

XTZ Cinema S2 wall/ceiling speaker - XTZ Sound in Balance
@kbfern I notice that you have the S2 speakers in your signature, so you'll know all about them and how they sound. I can't help noticing on your link, that unless XTZ thought that calling them "Atmosphere" was enough of a pun, the description doesn't otherwise mention Dolby Atmos, it says: "It is ideal for 3D-Audio Systems like Auro-3D or DTS: X."

kbfern

Distinguished Member
They did not call them Atmos as they would have had to pay a licence fee IIRC. However they work fine with all the surround codecs including Atmos.:)

SonOfSJ

Ah, I see. Thank you kindly. By the way, with your experience of Atmos, perhaps you might want to comment in this thread Underwhelmed by Atmos.

pressure

Yes, the xtz s2s work very well for atmos when upfiring to a flat ceiling. The xtz cinemas (m6 etc) are probably quite a good comparator with these speakers if you want atmos and can’t go in ceiling. And the s2s bolt very nicely into the M6 and S5s.

SonOfSJ

Does anyone know the maximum and minimum heights of the ceiling for the upfiring Atmos modules to work properly? I know that the ceiling should be flat, but I'm not clear about its optimum height.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies
Top Bottom