Eliminating Camera Shake

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by Ken42, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Ken42

Ken42

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hi folks. I have a Canon HighDef video camera and like to show my footage on a huge screen using a projector. This obviously amplifies camera shake and any panning that isn't too smooth.

Can anyone recommend a good gadget to help me with this? At around £150 or less.

2. evilgenius

evilgenius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    no idea, but eliminating camera shake is super easy in adobe after effects/boris etc. Im sure there is some freeware solutions out there too.

3. alpine101

alpine101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Leki Sierra Fotosystem hiking stick helps a lot, stronger than a Unipod, and you can pretend you're a healthy walking sort of person:).

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  4. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    Tripod??:rolleyes:

5. alpine101

alpine101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    So clumsy:D Hiker's poles otoh look great:
    Product Image

(no connection)

6. siimo

siimo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  7. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    Despite the apparent one liners above which may "seem" unhelpful

There is actually no better way of avoiding camcorder shake than a Tripod. This may be a monopod for handheld shots or any variant of that. technique count for a lot .. very slow panning.
    Trying to correct in in post production is very hard
    The optical image stabilisation methods used by the camcorders is meant to minimise the " shake" it is less helpful with judder
    Unfortunately High definition footage especially AVCHD is far more prone to motion artefacts ( judder) from panning despite the fact that they are far better now than they used to be. This is present even with Tape ( HDV) to a lesser extend and much leds so with SD tape (DV AVI)
    Domestic displays vary in thier ability to compensate for this but a projected image will mean al the care taken whilst shooting would be worth it if the resulting video is " smooth" off your projector

A tripod with 3 way fluid head should cost you less than £150 if you get a modest model .
    My anecdotal ( and limited) experience is that the very worst panning shots never get past the " cutting room" in Pro shoots

8. rogs

rogs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +383
    Agree with the comments above - get a decent fluid head tripod, if you're looking to shoot from a fixed location.
    If you nee to move the camera while shooting, you could try this cheaper take on the 'Steadicam', for smaller cameras:
    HAGUE Mini Motion-Cam

It may look a bit odd, but it can be pretty effective, from clips I've seen.

9. A n d r e w

A n d r e w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
  10. mmace

mmace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    I bought a smoothkam which is no longer available, basically a ready made steady cam, I also use it for low shots when filming my son playing

11. Ken42

Ken42

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Thanks everyone for the very useful replies. A tripod is a bit too heavy for me to lug about on holiday, so I think I'll go for rogs suggestion - the HAGUE Mini Motion-Cam. It looks very similar to the Steadycam Merlin costing ten times as much.:)

Mercalli software looks good, but has mixed reports.

12. alpine101

alpine101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    The other cheapo steadicam type device is the Manfrotto Modosteady, which does fold up a bit:
    Manfrotto Modo Steady MN585 () - Warehouse Express

The problem as far as I am concerned is that all these sort of things are obtrusive and need putting together and taking apart. I'll stick to my hiking pole!

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  13. Ken42

Ken42

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Got my Hague Mini-Motion Cam yesterday afternoon and so far I'm very pleased with it. It took about ten minutes to set up and get the balance right. When I asked my wife to bump into me a few times when shooting (as happens sometimes in busy places), I was amazed to find no sign of a blip when played back on my 32" TV. Haven't tried the projector yet, but she did bump me quite strongly.

Most people buy these things for walking shots, but I never do those.

I also bought an offset plate so the camera can be positioned centrally for weight distribution - the Canon HV20 is biased to the right where the tape transport is located.

With the weights attached it weighs about 1 lb. As alpine points out these things are a bit obtrusive and fiddly. However, I find the extra weight makes the camera more stable when used 'normally'. It is easy to lift up and use the viewfinder and it is also steadier when shooting from a low position using the LCD screen

Thanks once again for all your help.

14. kBm

kBm
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,276
    Does it make an improvement when at the telephoto end? I can imagine it wont eliminate wobble, but it may improve it?

The other half is terrible at filming with full zoom, then swinging round, moving about...:rolleyes:

15. Ken42

Ken42

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Don't know about zoom. I'll try it and let you know.

16. Ken42

Ken42

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Re Zoom. First of all, because the camera is suspended on a ball above the handle to counteract wobbles etc, you can't use the camera controls without disturbing the camera and thereby inducing wobble. So, for example, when you start and stop recording you will get a wobble from pressing the button each time. I get that sort of thing anyway if not taking sufficient care.

I've never tried moving the camera about at full zoom (I try to shoot family events and holidays movie style - a set of shots from a fixed position, zooming in or panning only some of the time. Any advice you can give will be most welcome, because I guess I would be as bad as your other half. :)

Having said that, because there is an eighteen inch long curved piece of metal to get hold of, I think your other half would find the camera easier to control. I think I do. In other words, imagine using the camera with a small tripod attached to it, but not seated on a firm surface. If you use the right hand for the camera controls and also to grip the camera, the left hand can be placed in another more stable and more comfortable position than on the camera.

I hope that helps.

17. kBm

kBm
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,276
    Thanks - sounds like there is an improvement. Without a tripod though, full zoom will never be wobble free!

18. Mr Cheese

Mr Cheese

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    The basic answer to eliminate camera wobble is to shoot as wide as possible. If you need a close up of a subject, etc then move closer!

19. A n d r e w

A n d r e w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    Thanks for this. I've just bought a Leki Sierra and, although it would have been nice had it been less expensive (they're around the £40 mark), it seems a good solution in situations where a tripod is impractical. Cheers.