Elgato Eve Energy help

Discussion in 'Smart Home, Climate Control & Security Forum' started by Flashy, Dec 18, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Flashy

Flashy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,132
    I got an Elgato Eve Energy smart plug the other day, my first foray into home automation.

It's working fine with on/off commands via both iOS 10 (Home app and Control Centre) and the Eve app. But I can't get it to work with a timer.

I've got an iPad and New Apple TV showing up as Home Hubs and I know one or both work because I'm able to operate the plug from my iPhone with Bluetooth off.

I've tried setting timers to turn on the plug from the Home and Eve apps, and each shows the timer is set. But it won't trigger.

Anyone got any ideas? Hope @Synchro doesn't mind the tag, only member I know for sure had got one of these.

EDIT: I've now tried setting a timer on it's own and creating a scene ('Turn on lamp test') and applying the timer to that. Nothing happened.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
  2. Flashy

Flashy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,132
    I tried again with the ATV4 awake on the menu screen and set to never sleep. It worked. tried again with ATV asleep and it didn't.

So looks like I'll need to have the ATV awake for it to work as a Home Hub in Apple's terms, though Apple's own guides are vague and other accounts online vary. In all cases, the Home app shows the ATV as connected as a Home Hub.

What I don't understand is why I'm still able to turn the Eve on and off with Bluetooth off on my iPhone/iPad. The Eve only works on Bluetooth LE so the command to turn on/off in that situation can only becoming from the Apple TV.

So, it'll respond to a direct command (iPhone/iPad sends to Apple TV over wifi > ATV sends to Eve over Bluetooth) but won't do the same with a timed command.

I'm baffled. I may or may not be more baffled when I try a direct command when away from home tomorrow, which I've not done yet, depending on the result. But I'm sure I'll still be baffled.

Only other variable I'll try is setting the automation when the ATV is awake, which I don't think I've tried yet but may have done while the other half was upstairs. That's one for another day.

3. Flashy

Flashy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,132
    Updating again in the hope that a) someone with answers chances upon this and b) that if not, it might provide comfort to someone who finds themself as confused as I am.

Today's test – I can monitor the state of the plug and change it remotely, with the ATV in standby. So it is just preset timers that do not work with the Apple TV off.

Although having typed that, I remember it failed to trigger another test timer yesterday evening and I'm sure the ATV was on at the time. Hmm. I've set another one for tonight and will report back – even if it is to myself!

4. Flashy

Flashy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,132
    Know I'm talking to myself here, but updating again in case anyone has this problem in the future and stumbles across this thread.

Finally, it works! By a process of elimination, it must be down to iCloud Keychain needing the ATV on at some point to sync. When I was creating automations before, it wasn't on.

But tried a few times with the ATV on and it works fine, even if the ATV is asleep when the timer is set for.

A little quirk, but glad it's sorted.

5. xmb

xmb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    Indeed keychain sync is needed for Apple HomeKit to work. This is not ideal as many do not want to use these feature for security reasons but Apple make this compulsory.