Elevating dual subwoofers

Johnny123456

Novice Member
I’m relatively new to home cinema having converted my loft space. This is basically a triangular prism shape 5 x 5 x 3m (LxWxH). I run 9.2 using a Denon AVRX 4200 with Monitor Audio radius 225s at front & centre and the rest are MA radius 90s as 2 surrounds, 2 front heights and 2 rear heights. I have two Monitor Audio Vector VW-8 front firing subwoofers. Currently I have the subs to the left & right of the centre. I’ve yet to do a crawl to find optimum positioning for the subs but I’ve been thinking about elevating them. I could put them on stands or (my current thinking) is to hang them from the centre beam in the room angled towards the listening position in the centre of the room. At the moment I’m not getting a particularly pleasing or balanced bass - and am generating room noise. I like the idea of suspending the subs to disconnect from the suspended wooden floor - I live in an old house so the low frequencies just travel through. I have tried the subs at the front and back of the room but it didn’t seem to make much difference. Anyhow - my question is - has anyone any experience of hanging subs from a ceiling in a large space and what sort of difference would this make as opposed to being on the floor. Appreciate the subs are not the best in the world but I wanted duals and these were quite a good deal so I thought I’d start with these to experiment. Any advice appreciated.

Last edited:

IWC Dopplel

Distinguished Member
You will alter the starting point for the room reflections but hanging doesn't work for me as when the driver has an impulse the cone goes forward or backwards and the cabinet will want to do the opposite, which you don't want and ideally need to control

Johnny123456

Novice Member
Thanks - Yes that’s a good point although I would have thought the weight of the speaker would be adequate to stop it from swinging about? I guess I could also suspend it with solid braces rather hanging with wire. I think I might just initially raise them if the floor to see what difference that makes before I start the acrobatics!

IWC Dopplel

Distinguished Member
I was watching my 18" move on a very heavy amount of bass on a film last night (thinking crikey, that's a heap of clean deep bass, how much does the cone move ? not as much as you think, 5-10mm. I know my cone is carbon fibre based and very light build to keep the moving mass down but when doing any calcs it has an MMS of 270g, my cabinet is nearer 60kg so that's a good ratio but I still wouldn't want to suspend it. I suspect (but dont know) that the initial impulse has a bearing in what we hear and losing energy there with movement isn't a good thing.

unoduo

Coincidently I just watched a video on YouTube today from Rel about why (they think) you should not decouple a subwoofer from the floor In most circumstances.

Johnny123456

Novice Member
Thanks for this unoduo. I totally bow down to the experts on this. I’ve been playing around with the LFE settings on my Denon AVRx 4200 and reducing some of the LFE in order to reduce the over-the-top room shaking stuff a little, rather than reducing the volume settings on the subs. This seems to be getting me a little closer to a more preferable balance of upper bass and low end. I’ve yet to do the subwoofer crawl and to mess about with positioning but this gives me something else to tinker with! Really appreciate the comments and feedback.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom