Eletrician has not come back for his money help needed

killz187

Established Member
Reaction score
Okey here is my story 3 months ago we got a plumber to fit a new bathroom and eletric shower,which he agreed but said he would get an eletrician to do the wiring the eletrician is his friend.We have never had an eletric shower before so everything would be from scratch.Anyway the nextday the plumber came with eletrician came round looked at the bathroom and said he would do it and issue us with a Certificate once the job is done.A week later he came down and done the lights,wiring,put new earth wiring,electric shower circuit breaker etc job done.Anyway 2 weeks into the job we got rid of the plumber the reason being he was slow and his tiling was rubbish,gave him what ever we owed him for the job he had done so far,and he told us how much we owed the electrician and we told him to give use the number of the eletrician and we did ring him to come and collect his money.Any way when i spoke to him i said i would pay him by chaque and send it to him and he said he is not Vat registered so i had to write the chaque in his wifes name,So i said before i write him the chaque he needs to give use the eletrical pass certificate.Since i asked him about the eletrical certificate we have not heard from him now for about 2 and half months and we still have the money waiting.
My quastion is if you are having new wiring done in a bathroom is it by law for the eletrician to give you a pass certificate?Where do we stand in regard to the wiring if we are to sell the house later on in time,what are the Regulations when it comes to wiring a new bathroom?The guy as not rang since what shall we do.:lease:

I would send a letter to the electrician saying that if he does not issue the certificate within 2 weeks then you will use his fee to employee a new electrician to certify his work and that you won't pay him a penny after that.

That is of course if you do need a certificate, which I don't know. If you don't then I wouldn't worry about it.

I would send a letter to the electrician saying that if he does not issue the certificate within 2 weeks then you will use his fee to employ a new electrician to certify his work and that you won't pay him a penny after that.

Plus, make sure you keep a copy of the letter and that you send it Recorded Delivery.

Cheers,

Martin.

p.s. I also know nothing about the Electrical Pass Certificate.

Regardless of whether you need a certificate or not by law, I'd be enclined to have one just for peace of mind.

The guy sounds like a cowboy anyway with his story about VAT. You don't need to be VAT registered to be able to be paid by customers. You should have to declare the work for income tax purposes but that's about it if you're self employed.

it needs to be certified. so i hope its on a separate circuit with correct diameter wiring and circuit breaker... have u got the spark's name? maybe look him up, depending on self cert scheme he is registered too... (i hope he is!!)

if so, a little long winded, but u can contact ur local building control, explain the situation and they may certify it for u.... for a charge. if ur happy with the work u could leave it a little longer and see if a periodic cert can be issued... :devil: or ring around some electricians, explain to them.... although if they decent, they will kindly decline....

the eic cert is a bs7671.... u will need it, or ur house insurance may be invalidated....gutted when they dont come back to certify.... :thumbsdow but dont worry!

Last edited:
We had a similar job done recently and it wasn't cheap.

Last thing I would be doing in the same position is pushing to pay for the job just for the sake of a piece of paper. :)

Thanks guys i will write him a letter and see if i get a reply from him if not have to get someone to certify his work .
Just been reading this Part P to Building Regulations - The IET
so i think i will need a certificate .Not having one might end up with an invalidate house insurance .

Just been reading this Part P to Building Regulations - The IET
so i think i will need a certificate .Not having one might end up with an invalidate house insurance .

Hit the nail on the head there. Best case scenario is that he doesn't want the money (may have gone bankrupt and therefore won't claim it back from you), and the cost of an electrician to certify his work will be less than what you owed him :smashin:

i think you'll find,another electrician will not sign off on work & issue a certificate performed by another electrician,due to the fact that something could go wrong..

i think you'll find,another electrician will not sign off on work & issue a certificate performed by another electrician,due to the fact that something could go wrong..

Plenty of electricians out there who have just qualified who sign off work for people who have been in the trade 30+ years. Sounds to me though that his "mate" may not be part p qualified. Did you see his van any signs of him being jib or niceic registered?
Personally I would use the money to get it checked by a proper electrician. I have seen cowboys wire 10kw showers in 6mm cable, which on full pelt is a potential death trap.

They can't just issue the certificate. They would need to inspect\test the wiring and then issue the certificate. But they would do it under those conditions.

The guy who did our kitchen wiring was not qualified to do the certificate, so arranged for an inspector to visit and do the inspection.

I know it may be unfair speculation but I wouldn't be surprised to find that the electriction is not qualified to issue the certificate (based on the dodgy accounting practice).

I'd keep hold of the money - send him a letter saying that he needs to provide a certificate and collect his payment. Give him a reasonable time to respond (2 weeks should do it). If you don't hear from him, pay to get it inspected and certificated and make sure you get a receipt. Then write to the original guy, include a copy of the receipt and say that he is free to collect his payment MINUS the cost of certification. Then leave it up to him, no more chasing.

Cheers,

Nigel

Last edited:
We had a similar job done recently and it wasn't cheap.

Last thing I would be doing in the same position is pushing to pay for the job just for the sake of a piece of paper. :)

Not very good advice considering that piece of paper could be worth hundreds of thousands of pounds when the house goes up in flames :facepalm: And it is not just paper, the job will be registered as well...And since it sounds dodgy, I'd rather get it sooner than later...

Actually you'll find they all do it and have to do it...Many properties don't have the certification yet, but still when work gets done it will be required. So any sparky certified to do this work is trained to check others work...In fact many builders work on that basis, as do I....I know enough to do the job safely, but not often enough to warrant several grand in training/certification...So I just get a sparky in for a couple of hours to check and certify...

Glad to see the armchair experts are out in force.

Lets get the facts straight here.

You DO NOT have to be qualified to carry out installation work, or even write out a certificate, just competent.

Registered electricians are NOT allowed to sign off others work as the scheme providers forbid this practice.

If you electrician has done a bunk, the only thing you can do is get a periodic inspection report carried out.

This will at least then be something to put in the - not going to happen - HIPS file for when you sell the house.

If you electrician has done a bunk, the only thing you can do is get a periodic inspection report carried out.

Isn't that what I said - would need to get it inspected.

Hands up though about the 'anyone can issue a certificate' - didn't know that. The electrician who did our kitchen said he couldn't and arranged for an independent inspector to come in and do the certification.

So why didn't the electrician do it (and take the fee) if anyone can issue a certificate?

Cheers,

Nigel

Plenty of electricians out there who have just qualified who sign off work for people who have been in the trade 30+ years. Sounds to me though that his "mate" may not be part p qualified. Did you see his van any signs of him being jib or niceic registered?
Personally I would use the money to get it checked by a proper electrician. I have seen cowboys wire 10kw showers in 6mm cable, which on full pelt is a potential death trap.

Just been speaking to my partner and we both agree we have to get someone qualified to come and check it.We will write to him and if no reply in 2 weeks we will use that money to get everything tested.
What i dont get is why he done the job when he knew he was not able to issue us a certificate,he thought we were just going to hand over the cash to him.
About him being being jib or niceic registered?all i remember on getting from his van signs was name of company and telephone number.
Does anyone know how much roughly it will cost us to get someone in who is p qualified to come and check and issue a certificate ?

Glad to see the armchair experts are out in force.

Lets get the facts straight here.

You DO NOT have to be qualified to carry out installation work, or even write out a certificate, just competent.

Registered electricians are NOT allowed to sign off others work as the scheme providers forbid this practice.

This will at least then be something to put in the - not going to happen - HIPS file for when you sell the house.
Real life experience...what's the sparky going to do, rip it all out :rotfl: Periodic Inspection Report/Certificate (you should get that anyway) again symantics, the point is that you end up legal, insured and can sell your house.

Qualified/Competence you still need to proof it, do your course and demonstrate you know the regulations...symantics...

Isn't that what I said - would need to get it inspected.

Hands up though about the 'anyone can issue a certificate' - didn't know that. The electrician who did our kitchen said he couldn't and arranged for an independent inspector to come in and do the certification.

So why didn't the electrician do it (and take the fee) if anyone can issue a certificate?

Cheers,

Nigel

Just been speaking to my partner and we both agree we have to get someone qualified to come and check it.We will write to him and if no reply in 2 weeks we will use that money to get everything tested.
What i dont get is why he done the job when he knew he was not able to issue us a certificate,he thought we were just going to hand over the cash to him.
About him being being jib or niceic registered?all i remember on getting from his van signs was name of company and telephone number.
Does anyone know how much roughly it will cost us to get someone in who is p qualified to come and check and issue a certificate ?

Exactly my point, that just happens a lot and is normal working practise...They are compenent in their own thinking, and then get a mate in and pay him to 'sign it off', the mate who is good at studying doesn't gets his hands dirty anymore...See that happening all the time.

To be honest, one part-p qualified guy I came across knew the regulation but imo hadn't got the foggiest about proper electrical work...And that is not what is tested to be 'competent' ;-) Bit like when you need an innoculation, do you prefer the nurse who does it daily, or the doctor who has less experience...

Cheers,

Nigel

Anyone can issue a certificate, only a registered electrician can notify it.

OR the home owner can notify LABC who will do it for them ( for a large fee).

I did make a slight error, in so much that Part P does not permit registered electricians to sign off non -registered electricians work.

A periodic inspection report is VERY different from an installation certificate.

If a scheme provider discovers one of its members is doing the above, then their membership can be terminated, although thats unlikely as they want the money.

If LABC discover that work has not been notified, then either the electrician or home owner can be prosecuted for "failure to notify".

But, it is ultimately the responsibility of the home owner to ensure that work is.

Last edited:

Ball park figure I would say anywhere between £50-£150 depending on where you live, but then again I am only an armchair expert (albeit a 16th edition one)

I'm gas safe and used to be corgi and my van isn't sign written ,so whats his van got to do with anything.Part p's a joke anyway ..
Just get another sparks in ,get to test the lecs ,get your cert and jobs a good en..
Forget about building control,useless..

Can someone tell me /send a link to what sort of stuff will be on this certificate ?

I just want to make sure i get the right thing if the first guy who done the work does replay within 2 weeks and says he can issue us one.

Last edited:
Not very good advice considering that piece of paper could be worth hundreds of thousands of pounds when the house goes up in flames :facepalm:

Honest question - does this come into play with insurance? Do I need to have a valid 'part p' certificate (or whatever it is) for every piece of electrical work done on my house by anyone or any former owner in order for my house insurance to be valid? I dont' remember it being in any house insurance T&Cs, and I've certainly never been asked about them on any insurance quote forms. :confused:

I'm gas safe and used to be corgi and my van isn't sign written ,so whats his van got to do with anything.Part p's a joke anyway ..
Just get another sparks in ,get to test the lecs ,get your cert and jobs a good en..
Forget about building control,useless..

Part P is a joke, however, its the law.

A bit like Gas Safe.:rolleyes:

Do I need to have a valid 'part p' certificate (or whatever it is) for every piece of electrical work done on my house by anyone or any former owner in order for my house insurance to be valid?

Part P only applies to certain types of electrical work, usually any work in bathrooms / kitchens.

And it only came into force from 2005.

So the answer is no.

We live in a world that relies too heavily in pieces of paper. The important thing is to get someone in who knows what they are doing and eyeball their work as much as possible.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom