1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Elegant Speakers - Elegant Stands

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by dbloor, Nov 5, 2001.

1. dbloor

dbloor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi all,

I want to buy a 5.1 satellite/sub but it must fulfill two seemingly challenging criteria - that of sounding good with music and film with not looking too offensive on the eye.

I had originally decided to wall mount fronts and rears and I had not even considered speaker stands as my thoughts were that they all looked as though they could double as a north Sea oil platform. However, it seems to me that I would have much more flexibility with stands not to mention that they would be closer to ear level.

OK - from what I have gleaned from mags and these forums I plan to audition the KEF 2005 system but I am a little concerned that they do not look like they are that easy to make a solid bond with a speaker stand unless KEF do a decicated one with holes in for the egg mounting brackets to fit perfectly (none found on their website).
    I have dismissed the Mission FS2-AV that was at the top of my original shortlist.

Speaker stands must preferably be single stemmed and definitely not massive or bulky, I know this is not the correct philosophy but lets face it I am mounting a satellite on them not a Linn Isobarik.

What should I look for to audition please guys?

Budget about a grand for satellites, sub and stands.
    Probably used with Denon 3802.
    DVD player flexible but will be expected to spin music CD's convincingly too.

Cheers

david

2. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The KEFs come with a pair of stands, and you can buy another pair if you can´t hang the second pair on the wall, or a shelf...

3. flunchy

flunchy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Kefs come with little 'feet' that double as wall mounting brackets. There are a number of locating holes in the shell of the speaker so that the foot can be attached in different ways. A ball joint means the foot can be rotated or the speaker can be angled down (useful for high surround mounting positions).

Stands are available from Kef for £80 a pair that look very elegant. They fix into the same holes as the feet.

For your budget I'd look at the new Celestion AVP305 sub/sat package. It was launched recently and should be available in the shops around now. Designed by the same team that built the Kefs, they look and sound superb - curvey aluminium shell, small sub based on the Kef model but with more power. I have auditioned them with both movies and music and thought they were excellent. Kef/Celestion are expecting great things from them. Buy a set before What Hifi give them 5 stars and make it impossible to get hold of them ;). They retail at £1000.