• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Electronic Shutter - Rolling Shutter - and Flash - what you need to know...

snerkler

Distinguished Member

Pete Delaney

Prominent Member
It was a good read. I'm wondering just how much better the Sony a9 will be at coping with things like rolling shutter and possibly even banding from indoor lighting.

snerkler

Distinguished Member
It was a good read. I'm wondering just how much better the Sony a9 will be at coping with things like rolling shutter and possibly even banding from indoor lighting.
We will have to wait and see. I also though banding was determined by the frequency of light, 50hz or 60hz depending on whether in the US or UK (50hz in the UK IIRC). Apparently if you make sure your shutter in i multiples of the same frequency ie 1/50, 1/100, 1/150 in the UK it should avoid the issue, although I've not tried this myself. The trouble with the electronic shutter is that you cannot change the readout rate so if it doesn't match the light frequency you're in trouble. However, you do have the mechanical shutter for such situations.

Pete Delaney

Prominent Member
We will have to wait and see. I also though banding was determined by the frequency of light, 50hz or 60hz depending on whether in the US or UK (50hz in the UK IIRC). Apparently if you make sure your shutter in i multiples of the same frequency ie 1/50, 1/100, 1/150 in the UK it should avoid the issue, although I've not tried this myself. The trouble with the electronic shutter is that you cannot change the readout rate so if it doesn't match the light frequency you're in trouble. However, you do have the mechanical shutter for such situations.
Yeah... I read about frequencies Snerks... there's no way on earth I'll get remember to set the right speed for fluorescent lights etc - If electronic shutters don't play nicely with indoor lights then you lose the advantage of having a 'silent' camera... I may as well stick to traditional DSLRs if that's the case.
People play down the advantage of silent shooting - I don't - I think it's a huge positive factor for discrete work that doesn't break the emotion of the 'moment'.

snerkler

Distinguished Member
Yeah... I read about frequencies Snerks... there's no way on earth I'll get remember to set the right speed for fluorescent lights etc - If electronic shutters don't play nicely with indoor lights then you lose the advantage of having a 'silent' camera... I may as well stick to traditional DSLRs if that's the case.
People play down the advantage of silent shooting - I don't - I think it's a huge positive factor for discrete work that doesn't break the emotion of the 'moment'.
But as I said you have the mechanical shutter on the A9 as well, then silent shooting for the rest of the time. In reality how often are you going to run into the fluorescent light issue?

Pete Delaney

Prominent Member
But as I said you have the mechanical shutter on the A9 as well, then silent shooting for the rest of the time. In reality how often are you going to run into the fluorescent light issue?

I don't know... I just don't want it to be at a time when it's important to be quiet... It's a dilemma for sure. Good job I'm not in a rush - yet -
Then of course the D820 is about to be released, that might be worth a look.

AMc

Distinguished Member
Really interesting, I've learnt a load of things about shutters which were news to me really weel written and interesting :thumbsup:

Shutter speed defines the intensity of the banding
This is only a problem if your shutter speed is short, though. If your shutter speed is longer than one flicker cycle (a light and dark period), shouldn't see any banding because the exposure will be long enough to average-out the flicker of the lights. But, as you use shutter speeds faster than one cycle (typically 1/120th of a second under most lighting on 60Hz power), you'll begin to see banding.
Given we use 50Hz in the UK and Europe I just need to avoid shutter speeds of under 1/100th under strip lights and LED without additional flash. Given the cameras I have I think I'll be OK :)

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom