Electromotion ESL problem?

aurabullet

Standard Member
hey guys I just opened a can of soda and 2 drops of soda got on the panel. My speakers have been off for 4 hours, and they weren't plugged in so would I have any problems? Degrading of sound if I let the soda dry off?

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
By "can of soda" do you really mean soda water (carbonated water), or do you mean a sugary sticky soft drink such as coca cola? The first will be OK once dry. The second sounds like bad news, and I suggest the following.

Wait until it's dry, including the foam spacers, then vacuum the speakers as explained in the manual. This will anyway need doing every 6 months or so: you'll get whistles or pops or clicks or crackling if you don't. Then test. If you can hear nothing untoward, count yourself lucky and be more careful next time - unlike Quad ESLs, the Martin Logan design is supposed to look good, rather than to survive adverse conditions or abuse.

If they do exhibit problems, you'll need to clean off the sticky goo you sprayed all over them (the "two drops"). This is done by giving the speakers a shower or bath. Illustrated instructions are here. After showering, reckon on 48 hours to dry. I have no personal experience of the showering procedure.

aurabullet

Standard Member
thanks for the reply, i waited about a good 5 hours and just turned them back on normally. Luckily for me, there was no damage whatsoever from what I can hear. It seems as if expensive equipment is a magnet for damage eh just like earlier when my computer attenuation got screwed up and blasted my 250wpc 4ohm amp up to max vol. Hopefully the woofer wasn't damaged since I hear the panel is quite resilient.

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
thanks for the reply, i waited about a good 5 hours and just turned them back on normally. Luckily for me, there was no damage whatsoever from what I can hear. It seems as if expensive equipment is a magnet for damage eh just like earlier when my computer attenuation got screwed up and blasted my 250wpc 4ohm amp up to max vol. Hopefully the woofer wasn't damaged since I hear the panel is quite resilient.
The woofer is a lot less sensitive and should survive spraying with cola. The panels should last a while, at least assuming you stop using them for drink target practice. ML have an official "lifetime service and support" policy (here), but your warranty won't cover abuse.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom