Electrolyte Sport Drinks e.g Gatorade

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by dakara, May 7, 2007.

1. dakara

dakara

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I went on a long, hot-weather hike recently, and despite drinking plenty of water, ended up with an electrolyte imbalance, and terrible "muscular cramps".
    Can anyone please suggest a UK source of the powder form of these products, at a reasonable price, as I cannot seem to find one.
    Gatorade, Cytomax, Allsport, Accelerade, I don't care what it is, so long as it works.
    Any Trekkers, Athletes, or Dreamers out there who know the answer?:lease:

2. Member 79251

Member 79251
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,187
    Don't touch them as they are false IMO get some water thats all you need.;)

If you must go down to your chemist and get some glucose packets (Dirt cheap about a £1 the last time I checked.), something my brother has always used and he normally runs a marathon a month.:eek:

3. Example

Example

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
  4. Woodywizz

Woodywizz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,135
    Alternatively, give up the long hot-weather hikes, stay at home and have a few of these energy drinks...

[​IMG]

5. limblee

limblee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    I think you can get Gatorade at either Makro/Todays or Costco, sorry no I idea on price. I only drink gravy, a mans drink !

6. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,034
    Keep drinking plenty of water, then have a banana after working out as well, this will help prevent the cramps.

7. Chox1988

Chox1988
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,161
    lmao :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: , i got this mental image of someone sat there drinking jugs upon jugs of gravy because their thirsty.

8. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    Potassium and sodium ions are what you need.

Take a few bananas for the potassium and make your own sugar/salt solution for an energy drink. Costs pennies and just as effective as any gatorade etc, but without the e numbers!

9. njp

njp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +177
    I think that advice needs to be qualified. Water will avoid dehydration, so it's obviously important. But sustained high levels of activity, especially in hot weather, can lead to hyponatraemia (too little sodium), and this can be dangerous. In extremis, you can die because "excess" water makes your brain swell up. This is what killed a 22 year old competitor in the recent London marathon (drinking very large quantities of water can also do this, regardless of physical activity).

I agree you don't need expensive ready-made drinks, but at least take some salty snacks with you!

10. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,304
    Depending on how much you exercise and the conditions , be careful of just a purely "Water" intake . That's what killed the guy on the London Marathon the other week .
    Any of the Isotonic Sport Drinks should do the job . Its about keeping hydrated ( the water ) and replacing the salts and sugars lost ( the rest of the stuff in those drinks)

John

11. dakara

dakara

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Games, a great idea. I think that my problem was, that since I eat very little pre-prepared food, just mostly fruit and salads, I was probably not getting enough salt. I started putting some salt with the sugar on my breakfast cereal, and the cramps did not re-occur.
    The temperature on the day in question was 36 Celcius I must admit, but it is generally well over 30 at this time of the year anyway.
    I will start adding some salt to my flavoured water in my bottles, and get more bananas.
    I'm 71 now, but am hoping to get another twenty years of stress-free active life at least. :thumbsup:

12. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    aye, most folks forget when you sweat it isnt just water but also mineral content (ie salt)....hence if you sweat in a blue shirt you'll notice white marks around the edges of the sweat patch....thats where the salt has crystallised again....

you can buy those drinks, or just drink water and get some sodium tablets....doesnt taste as nice but is a lot lot cheaper :D

also make sure to eat a well balanced meal the night before you do any strenous activity, that way you should have all the good stuff your body needs to cope with a hard days work/play.......meat, 3-4 veg and some pasta/potato based stuff.....bingo...