Electrohome ECP4500 SXGA any good?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Orbital, Apr 20, 2001.

1. Orbital

Orbital

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi There Everyone!

I've got the opportunity to get hold of one of the above CRT projectors for £1200. It seems to be in very good condition but I have no idea if they are any good or not. So I'm hoping that you guys might be able to help me out and give me the low down.

Cheers

Orbital

P.S. I'm new to all this so please speak slowly :)

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,059
    Orbital: I've not had a play with one of these but from what I can gather it's a 7" tubed data projector.

Electrohome are no longer. They are now Christie Digital. I don't think there's a UK distributor but there are lots of s/h ones knocking about here and in the US so spare's shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Without the use of a video processor (or HTPC) you will see scan lines with this model.It's pretty good so it draws thin lines. I'd advise adding on money to your budget for an Iscan if you aren't going the HTPC route.

Ask to see it working before parting with dosh. If not possible check the tubes faces with a bright torch to see if there's any discolouration of the phosphor.IE Look for 4:3 brown colour on the face of the blue tube etc. If you can see this clearly then it's a sign of misuse/ageing. Also look and see if you can see anyhthing else burnt in to the face like a windows "stsrt" button or task bar.

£1200 for a good working one seems fair. Have fun and if you go for it, welcome to the club!

Gordon

3. Paul O Hale

Paul O Hale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. Orbital

Orbital

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi again :)

Thanks Gordon and Paul for the posts much appreciated. Could you please help me on a few other points. Firstly the use of the video processors and the "HTPC" in connection with a CRT projector and also how big do you think the room would need to be to get a five to six foot image?

I know this is newbie stuff but all of my attention has been focused on LCD projectors as I thought that CRT ones were way out of my reach so I don't know too much about them (actually replace too much with none :) Again any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks Again

Orbital

5. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,059
    Rough guide for throw distance is that the when X is the screen width the front of the green lens would be roughly 1.5 x "X". This should be checked as it depends on the focal length of the lenses used in the unit. It's unlikely to not be this though on that projector.

I'd try and keep screen width down to between 5.5 and 6.5 ft with one of those.

Gordon

6. Orbital

Orbital

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi once more,

What about the HTPC and video processors, what do they do? Like I said I was going to get a LCD projector like the MT1z or something where you just link up your DVD player and hey presto! But the world of CRT seems a bit more complicated than that so any help would be grateful.

Cheers

Orbital

7. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,059
    OK CRT's work by drawing horizontal lines across the tube face one after the other. The higher the spec of CRT the more lines it can draw across for a given height. (ie it draws finer lines).

This is good in that it means it can resolve greater detail and give a sharper picture when fed with a high resolution signal. It can also be bad though if you are feeding it a low res signal that isn't processed. Imagine you've a 4:3 screen and the thing can draw 600 lines across the way with each one just touching the one below it. Great! Unless you feed it a standard NTSC DVD unprocessed in which case it draws 240 lines, then the other 240 lines to create each frame. This is called an interlaced signal. In this situation that projector would be drawing "line" BIG gap "line" BIG gap " line. With a progressive signal it'd draw all 480 lines one after the other in one pass. So we'd be getting closer to it's sweetspot of 600 lines and the gaps would be smaller and less visible.

Now, if you fed the DVD image through a scaler and set the output to SVGA (800 x 600) or played it back on a HTPC solution set at the same resolution you'd have no scan lines and a much nicer to look at picture.

Not all CRT projectors have the same sweetspot, how they are set up can also have an effect on which resolution you'd want to use, as would the aspect ratio of the screen you want to use.

So you can see that with a Data grade CRT you probably have to use some form of video processing to get the best out of it. They'll often work nicely with a straight feed from a DVD but really you should spend that wee bit more to do the thing justice.

I hope this makes sense. There's more to it as well if you want to go further in to the differences between interlaced and progressive signals but you can do a search on the forums and find that info and links to www.progressivescan.co.uk I think.

Cheers,

Gordon

8. jlcrawford

jlcrawford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    If this is the electrohome in the bargain basement at A-V.co.uk The price seems to say so I'd be a bit wary as they say it outputs 1000lumens yet hi -Rez say it is much less ~700 from memory.Also the further info link takes you to a 4100 and if my memory is good this projector has been on and off this site a few times.
    Of course this is purely speculation and an inspection may prove worthwile

9. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the projection dist calc for the 4500 is screen windth x 1.45 + 9"

hope this helps