1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

electrohome 4100 issue

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by rikko, Oct 8, 2001.

1. rikko

rikko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i finally got my new projector and i tuned the g2 and got the colors JUST the way I want them... except for sunlight.. it is pink!!! all light is pink in fact.. white shirts turn out white.. for some reason.. white cars are white except where there is pink sunlight on it hehe, I dont know how to get this to go away and I know it isnt a brightness/contrast/g2 issue it has to be something else.. maybe i have a greyscale type issue with my red? :) who knows.. i have the focus perfect on sattelite tv now and also 1240x760 for the home theater PC (dual proccessor geforce 3 with 10x dvd) its crisp as far as everything goes, just when i watch a dvd on the hdpc.. its awful. Oh yeah I have it running from geforce to protecter via the 5 connectors... rgb and vh.

hope i didnt forget anything :)

Thanks

Rikko

[ 08-10-2001: Message edited by: rikko ]

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hm if it isn't a g2/drive issue, what about the crt's maybe there is some wear on the blue and/or green which makes red the dominant color?

What happens when you hook up the geforce to a pc monitor? It could also be a color temperature issue. The ecp doesn't have a color temp setting but maybe the geforce does? If it's set well below 6500k everything will have a redish hue.

And are you sure you used the correct procedure for setting g2 and drive levels?

Cheers,
    jeroen.

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,001
    You should not be adjusting G2 to do greyscale. G2 sets the level at which the tunes start to operate. There should be other adjustments after G2 has been set correctly which will allow you to adjust the level of red/green and blue at both high and low IRE levels. Often these are called Gain/Cut Off or Gain/Bias.

It may be necessary to change G2 settngs as the tubes age to keep a decent greyscale and lght output. Do a search over at AVScience for "settng g2 levels". You'll get some posts about how to do ths on BARCO'S and NEC's. Same princples should apply.

Then once it's set properly do the other adjustments.

Gordon

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    G2 adjust the dark end of the grayscale (black level or brightness) while drive adjust the other end (white level or contrast). You can adjust g2 on the ecp by eye pretty easily. Set both contrast and brightness at 5 and put up a horizontal grayscale from avia. Set each pot at the point where (looking into the lens) the raster just blends with the darkest 2 bars for 7.5 ire black level.

After that you have to set the drive levels with the controls on the back of the pj. You really need a color analyzer to do this correctly. To do it by eye put up the grayscale again, and look at the screen this time. Turn green all the way up, and look at the maximum white bar. Reduce the drive levels for the over-powering colors. For example if blue is too strong, reduce it. But always keep green at its maximum position. You could also do this with red or blue maxed out, but i find it works best with green. What you're looking for is a neutral, metallic gray, all across the grayscale. There are more subtle adjustments, but this will get you in the ballpark.

5. rikko

rikko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wow what a wealth of information.. there is 0 wear on the tubes as they were just replaced.. I am not sure where the GAINS would be on this projector.. the g2 pots are by the focuses inside the machine and by the color cut off switches (the ones that you can turn an individual color off) AVIA is a demo that can be gotten at a website? and another note i did have the red levels cut off on the card some via the color software that comes with the geforce.. but that is because on the sattelite the reds are set perfect, but for pc and dvd its on a different card and those settings are out of wack with the sattelite card (that is my biggest pain)

THANKS AGAIN!!!
    Rikko

6. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,001
    Jeroen.

This is different to all other CRT projectors I have encountered. I bow to your superior knowledge of this device.

G2 is the second grid the electrons go past to be accelerated towards the Phopsphor. Usually I would expect this to be set in this manner.

Get a test disc and put up a 0ire test pattern.

Put contrast to 0, Set brightness to about 80%. Now, adjust each individual G2 pot until you can just see the raster appearing on the face of the tube. ie you should see the 0ire pattern within the active area of the phosphor.

Then I would seal the G2 pots with nail varnish or silicon sealant to stop them moving. Next I'd set contrast and brightness to useable levels. Then use the Cut off and Gain settings to adjust low and high ire greyscale.

I am not familier with this Electrohome though. It sounds like they have named Cut Off as G2 on some menu, or it operates some other way. The original poster sounds like he has G2, drive/gain, cut off/bias all set incorrectly anyway. I'm sure this is where his problems lie.

I think Jeroen is on the right track. Lack of blue wold make things have a yellow cast. Blue and Red = PinkyPurple so I'd say you need to turn up green drive. You'll have to re-adjust everything again. If the ECP works in the method Jeroen says then follow his advice!

Gordon

[ 09-10-2001: Message edited by: Gordon, Convergent-AV ]

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi gordon.

As far as g2 goes our methods are the same. All that matters is that all 3 colors cut off at the exact same point. If one of these methods results in a brighter or darker picture it doesn't matter because you'll correct that when you adjust overall brightness with a pluge pattern.

About my white level procedure, that's more or less straight out of the ecp service manual with some minort corrections gathered from discussions at avsforum.

8. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The gain or drive controls are at the back of the projector behind the large plate. They are labeled on the plate as red/green/blue drive. Best remove the plate for easy access.

Avia is a dvd with test patterns you use to setup up your tv or pj (audio equipment as well). It's a bit expensive but worth every penny. There's also a disc called 'video essentials' which is a bit older and has a terrible menu system. I have both but prefer avia. Btw a new version of VE was announced a while ago.

Good to hear your tubes are clean. I got my 4100 in late 97 with new tubes. Over 3000 16:9 hours later they are still 100% burn and wear free. These are great pj's when handled with respect. I've seen a lot of 7" crt's but the ecp has the sharpest picture of them all. I had a nec xg-110 8" for a few months and while it was a lot brighter sharpness was identical!

Anyway good luck.

[ 10-10-2001: Message edited by: jeroen ]

9. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i'll second that . i love my ecp

unfortunatly i just do not have the room for a big 8incher . inmyop i think i have the next best thing

hope you get any probs sorted man :)

10. rikko

rikko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks once again guys for all the support.. is this test cd downloadable or on the internet at all? How much does it usually run?

Thanks

Rikko