• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Electricity Bill

Member 328449

I have just had my electricity bill in and phoned up to give the correct readings. My last quarters usage was just under 200 units. Obviously this is low but we live in a small 2 bed flat with no central heating. This quarter it is over 2000! In this time I have had 6 weeks working away myself and had pretty much nothing changed, except for the fact that my media PC had hardware faults so had about 6 weeks of no use. This meant that I didn't use the sound kit or TV on to go with it.

Anyone know how I may be spending this amount?

kopchoir

Banned
Neighbours nicking your juice or someone else i know it may seem a tad far fetched but it does happen either that or your meter is up the swanny hope you get it sorted
Kop

bumper31

I had a similar issue, it turns out that my meter has been mixed up with the flat next door........

So I was switching everything off and my usage was still going high. Every time I reported it to the leccy company they put me through to their Energy Efficiency team who did nowt.

In the end I insisted they send an engineer, it cost me 50 quid (which I should now get refunded) and he diagnosed it in 1 min!!!!

clockworks

Were both quarter's readings checked by yourself, checked by the meter reader, or estimates? You said you phoned in this quarter's, but what about previously?

Member 328449

They were phoned in by me. I'm trying to work out if it is my media centre PC. That is the only thing we have in the flat. I've had it turned off for an hour and the hours usage has worked out to about half a unit. I'm now going to try for the same time with the media centre on.

Member 328449

Doing a quick test tonight it seems to be my PC. Looks like it is taking about 2.5-3 units an hour which works out to about 35p an hour. Doesn't sound high but with the usage it gets it does add up. Thing is I wasn't getting this before. I changed my motherboard from an Asus P5n32E-SLI to what I have now(Abit IP35 Pro XE). Anyone know if this is normal or can I lower it?

Sniper Ash6

Distinguished Member
do you have power saving functions on

eg spinning down HDDs and turning off display as well as power plan in the OS?

i would be interested to know how much power i use as use my computer, surround sound, NAS, tv and 360 everyday - last week my computer was on 111 hours (4 and a half days) straight :eek:

Member 328449

do you have power saving functions on

eg spinning down HDDs and turning off display as well as power plan in the OS?

Don't know about the HDD's but the display is powered separately so isn't an issue. Can't work out why my PC would need 620w 100% of the time.

Sniper Ash6

Distinguished Member
620W idle is that?

what are the specs of it please?

Member 328449

Well if my maths are right then it must be using around that at all time. Spec is in my sig.

Sniper Ash6

Distinguished Member
you will not get 100% efficiency from the PSU and so will probs get 80% ish

it is likely that idle it will use no more than 2/300W but that is an estimate

r4zb3rry

Well I see that you have the quad @ 3.0Ghz, have you turned off the option in the bios for the multiplier to drop down during inactivity?

If it's running at the full 3.0Ghz all the time, then what voltage are you using?

It's the small details like this that add up to the kind of bill your looking at.

Also you stated that your display is powered seperately so, isn't an issue...isn't it still using mains power regardless?

:thumbsup:
R4z

Naqv

That seems highly unlikely.

Electricity in the UK costs about (not sure exactly) / say 5p per kilowatt hour (kilowatt hour = 1000 watts used in 1 hour).
If your PC supply is 600 watts, then it will cost you 3 pence per hour.

It's something else that is using the elctricity.

Knyght_byte

Distinguished Member
2000 units for a quarter over the heaviest winter period on record isnt that bad....im guessing the bill was around £200-220? (average ppkwh in the UK is around 11p on general domestic or 14p on economy 7 day rate) thats about £70 a month.....on the high side generally speaking but not for the period as you are in more, everything is on more, even if you have gas central heating there is still a pump etc to be operated by electricity that means drawing more juice....

remember, 600watts is about 7p an hour IF its running full pelt, which it wont be....unless you are playing a computer game, chances are you are only consuming around half that for most jobs and very little at all when in standby.....but even at full whack, approximately 7p an hour for 24 hours is going to be around £1.50ish a day, so yes, potentially half your monthly portion of the bill could be due to just your PC.....somehow I doubt it was running full tilt for that long, the PSU would have knackered....lol

I think you'll find its your PC plus god knows what other electronic items you have that are used on a daily basis and more so in the darker months. Use your AV amp a lot this winter?

Was the last bill for 200 units a bill from actual reading to actual reading? or did it close to an estimate and this bill open from the same estimate? if so then you were simply charged too little the last time and this bill is catching up. Or have you checked the closing reading for this large bill against whats on the meter? for every 100 units out thats just over £10, so if the closing estimate is 800 units over then thats around £90 overestimated. phone them and they will sort it :)

If you suspect the meter is at fault, read the serial number on it, check it against your bill or if the bill doesnt show the MSN then call the supplier and ask them to tell you what one they have on record. If it matches, then take a read from the meter every day for 7 days. If there is an obvious problem with the results then your supplier will send someone out, if there isnt you can still demand an accuracy test, but be warned, they may charge you if the meter is proven accurate to cover the cost of an unnecessary job (7 day read didnt show problem so why should they cover the cost), if it shows a fault then they will waive the charge and reconsider your recent billing based on a report that tells them how fast/slow it was operating.

If the serial number on yourmeter doesnt match what they hold, check for a sticker/card on the meter that shows the details of a meter exchange andsee if that has the serial number they have, give them the details and they will update their records. If there hasnt been an exchange or the previous meter wasnt the same as what your supplier holds records on, then ask them to search for your serial number on the current meter on ECOES (Electricity Central Online Enquiry Service) to see what its registered against, then they might have to send out engineer to your property to verify the onsite details and then if its just crossed meter issue they will rebill the account, if its wrong supply issue they will do an Erroneous Transfer to send it back to its correct supplier and customer and refund you all payments made, your real supplier will however then backbill you for one year, they cannot go further than that and they cannot lump several years of readings on to one year of bills...they have to be sensible and go with the standard profile EAC (estimated annual consumption) for your property.

ps. I work for an energy supplier (not one of the 'Big 6' tho)....you mighta guessed...heh

pps. just noticed you said you werent there for around 6 weeks, possible something was left on during that time that shouldnt have been? a small bar fire or something? that would be more likely to account for a large bill (if the bill is correct or not catching up on the small bill last time, 200 units for a quarter is VERY low, as in you must not be using an electric oven, m/wave or any other high use heating appliances)

Last edited:

Knyght_byte

Distinguished Member
Neighbours nicking your juice or someone else i know it may seem a tad far fetched but it does happen either that or your meter is up the swanny hope you get it sorted
Kop

this happens a lot less than people realise.....if your meter is inside your house then the only way they can nick the juice is to break in to your house.....if they steal from the supply instead (ie street side of the main incoming fuse) then it wont cost you a penny (or them)

If the meter is outside, then potentially they could cut in, but unless they are a very qualified electrician, the chances are they will find themselves flying across the street from the shock :D

This does happen but its sooo rare.....same with meter failing, relative to the amount of meters in the field, genuine failures are quite rare......and can just as happily be in a customers favour (we've done loads of meter accuracy visits lately due to customers getting lots of high bills, they've ignored the freezing cold winter we had this year and assume the meter is at fault.....on at least 10 occasions i've had to write and tell the customer that the meter is actually clocking 0.9% SLOW but not to worry, as a gesture of goodwill we wont add the shortfall to your next bill...just the charge for the accuracy test...hehe)

wayne2467

Electricity in the UK costs about (not sure exactly) / say 5p per kilowatt hour (kilowatt hour = 1000 watts used in 1 hour).

Npower charge 13.8 per kw and 12.8kw which is a big difference. from five pence.:)

Member 328449

let's clear a few things up. I do not have central heating at all. No gas or electric. We have a small gas fire which is hardly used.
Also, yes my monitor uses power but I have tested it with the PC on and the monitor off. It still seems to be using over 2 units per hour. As soon as I turn off the PC the readings go back to something they should be like.

Member 328449

Just done a reading. Looks like we have used about 5-6 units since 9pm last night. In that time we have had a 32inch LCD on for about 1-2 hours, hair dryer & straighteners on for 15 mins, fridge & freezer on constant, router on constant and electric shower on for 10 mins. A few bits are on standby but not much. Seems high to me.

IronGiant

Depending on the shower 1.5 of those units could be the shower alone...

Member 328449

Done a few more tests this morning. I've been turning items on and viewing the speed the dial on the meter goes round. Think this will be a pretty accurate measure. Basically with my PC/TV/Soundkit on the dial goes round almost 3 times slower than when boiling a kettle, and 4 times slower that when the emersion heater is on. This leads me to believe it is not my medial centre that has given the high bill. The emersion heater hardly gets used anymore as there was an incident where it was accidently left on constantly and obviously we got a stinger of a bill then. However this bill is almost as high. I just can't work it out!

Member 328449

Depending on the shower 1.5 of those units could be the shower alone...

Just had a look at the shower and wow! The dial turns in about 2/3 seconds whereas it takes 8 seconds with the immersion heater on. Seems high and could be the problem but it wasn't this high before and it's not as if we have only just started showering!

Member 328449

Just working that out if we showered for 20 mins a day thats the same as using my media centre for about 3 1/2 hours. Just doesn't seem enough to make the bill so high.

Member 328449

Ours is 12p per unit. So even using that it should cost no more than 8p per hour. No idea where the electricity is going!

mrm3

Maybe you have been paying an estimated amount for a while but with the reading it was adjusted and the deficit made for one large bill?

Member 328449

Maybe you have been paying an estimated amount for a while but with the reading it was adjusted and the deficit made for one large bill?

I've been doing the readings myself for a while now. As I say, last quarter I did teh reading and it was only 191 units.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom