1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ElectricalWorld.co.uk - Avoid like the plague!!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by bobfffg, Apr 18, 2005.

1. bobfffg

bobfffg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi - I thought I would post this here where it is most likely to be read, I read the forum rules and don't think i'm breaking them....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I found this site after doing a search for electricalworld.co.uk in Google, in hope that I would find some other 'cases' to support my growing fears....I share my case here, as -Kreep did here, in order to try an save others from the grief I’ve gone through over this....

Having ordered a JVC 28" Widescreen Pure Flat TV from ws2.Electricalworld.co.uk on 04-04-2005, I received an email from them on the 06-04-2005 informing me that there has been a problem with their courier service, indicating that 'data protection' was at risk and therefore they could not dispatch my order until the issue had been resolved. "Fine!" I thought to myself, "...they're obviously looking out for their customers and they should do, and are obligated to do so in this instance, under the Data Protection Act 1998." I think to myself...

After waiting another 5 days, I manage to get in contact them, a 'man' who checks my order then tells me "...its going to be another 24/48 hours until we have the data protection issue resolved with our courier service...." and that "...someone will be in contact during that period to advise you on your order delivery date...". I give them the benefit of the doubt and accept that I'm in for a bit more of a wait...

Well 48 hours comes and goes, I received no phone calls, no e-mails. On the 15-04-2005, I decide enough is enough and ring them to cancel the order. I waited 40 minutes whilst it rang and rang and rang and rang...no one answered. I rang back a further 7 times during that day. No one answered. I rang a further 15 times the following day. No one answered. Today [18-04-2005] I have tried several times, still no one answers... I have e-mailed their enquiry desk, I have received no reply.

So let this be a warning to all, don't trust ws2.Electricalworld.co.uk !! I have received no item and no refund, so I will now pursue this with my credit card company...hopefully I will be eligible for a refund. If there are any further developments on this, I will post back accordingly.

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    electricalworld.co.uk is registered to Andrew Clark who according to Whois is an individual who has elected to have his address omitted from the Whois database.

According to Nominet only the owners of non trading domain names are entitled to withold their addresses so I would suggest that you email nominet and suggest that they look at the site for themselves to see whether or not it is a commercial site.

Having had a look at the site it would appear that the address given is an accomodation address, the telephone number is a an expensive and non geographic 0870 number

Enough negative signs there to warn anyone off dealing with them I would have thought.

3. chrisgriffiths

chrisgriffiths

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also after a quick scan of the Terms and Conditions page, 3 of the paragraphs seem to be copied directly off the EmpireDirect website (Delivery Charges, Product guarantees general and TFT) -though this could be more lazy web content than something malicious .....

electricalworld.co.uk

EmpireDirect.co.uk

:thumbsdow

4. bobfffg

bobfffg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...thanks for this guys.

Interestingly enough, I just called Nominet to explain some of this, and now all of a sudden, the registrant details have been re-instated... :rolleyes: ....but, the address does NOT match the one given in the 'Contact Us' page of their website.... In fact, after doing a royal mail post-code lookup, there are 4 matches, all supposedly occupying the same four buildings (14-18 Heddon St., London), and not one of those is electricalworld.co.uk either....

Now, looking at their 'Privacy Policy', it indicates that any information collected by the site will only be used by Vernon Collard, by some address in Essex (the address matched the one being used as the registrants details on Nominet). So I search around for Vernon Collard to see that the company is behind on its tax returns, and also is posing as another 'official' site, Vernon Collard ...... LOOK FAMILIAR ANYONE?!?!?! :mad: :mad:

I have reported the matter to Trading Standards this afternoon. There may be more sites I haven't uncovered, so my advice is to look for the signs (Ian J has made some good suggestions) and be careful people.

To read the other accounts of un-happy peeps, just look at this from PriceRunner. I wish i'd found this page before I ordered; so many dis-satisfied customers and clearly the positive ones left are faked by the company, you can tell by the content and length of the reviews...

5. bobfffg

bobfffg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Further to this, I can now confirm that Electrical World and Vernon Collard have now been closed down as of [20-04-2005] :cool: :cool: :D :smashin:

Their customer service numbers have also been disconnected.

Protx payment services, taking payment for them, have also been informed of the situation :rolleyes:

So although I don't get my money back, at least I get some pleasure in knowning they won't be doing this to anyone else again :D

booyeah!

6. woody67

woody67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    If you ordered via the site, I presume you paid by credit card, so can't you claim against your issuer?

7. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,108
    woody67 is right.

Your credit card company is jointly liable for the delivery (and quality) of the goods. They are obliged to refund your money.

8. bobfffg

bobfffg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers lads, spoke to my credit card peeps and the claim is underway :D :D

so I guess it's double prizes, 'cos their websites are now saying "...Under Administration and have Ceased Trading..." :smashin:

peace