1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electricalscentre.com follow-up (Toshiba 36ZP48)

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by NiGHTS, Dec 21, 2004.

1. NiGHTS

NiGHTS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't seem to find the previous topic (I assume it was deleted), so I've had to make a new one.

The TV finally turned up today (For those that missed it last time). All's well that ends well, right? Wrong.

I opened the box once the delivery guy had gone and noticed the screen was quite damp. I didn't really think much of it at the time, and so I waited for a few hours untill someone got in to help me get the TV out of the box. It was only when I turned the TV on a few hours later after setting up it's base that I discovered the problem. The screen has that rainbow effect, which I'm guessing is due to some condensation getting in behind the glass of the screen. There also seems to be some dead pixels (Black blotches), although this is probably due to condensation building up at those points rather than an actual fault with the TV itself.

So I'm now stuck with a half-busted TV after all the initial trouble I had getting it in the first place. What do you guys suggest I do? Will the condensation eventually disappear, or will I have to 'attempt' to phone/fax Electricals Centre and get them to sort it out.

One other minor problem is the fact that the TV only came with two glass shelves for it's stand, when it has three in the manual. Anyone else confirm it's meant to have three shelves?

I don't think I've ever had so much trouble with buying something in my entire life. Perhaps I've done something bad to deserve this. :rolleyes: Whatever the case, I don't think I'll be using EC again anytime soon.

Thanks again for any replies guys. I look forward to seeing what you all think of the matter.

By the way Scottie, if you're reading this again, can you post up the links to those cables/speaker stands again? Thanks. :thumbsup:

2. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There's no condensation inside the CRT - if water could get in there the thing simply wouldn't work as it's meant to be a vacuum and therefore sealed. It's not unusual for them to be damp, especially if they've been stored somewhere very cold then brought into a warm house for instance. CRT's do take a good few hours to 'warm up' if they've been stored as such, so you've done the right thing there. The condensation will disappear after about a day or so, so don't be too concerned.

But you should be concerned about the rainbow effect...can you describe this in more detail? This sounds more like the purity is shafted, which could indicate the TV has been dropped. If this is so the shadow mask is distorted, which is causing the raibow effect and that means a new tube!

Dead pixels...how big are these? Big areas of 'dead' pixels should never get out of the factory. These could simply be dirt on the front glass. I suspect you could have a 'repacked' set, and not necessarily a toshiba repack.

Are you able to post some pics of these defects? It might help in ascertaining if you need to get the tv replaced or not.

Sounds to me like you picked a bad retailer :(

3. NiGHTS

NiGHTS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That, my good man, is the understatement of the year. :p

If the condensation has nothing to do with the 'rainbow' effect, then I don't think it's going to clear up overnight. I thought, like you mentioned, that if the set was given time to warm up then it might fix itself. Unfortunately, I was met with the same problem when I switched the TV on this morning.

The rainbow effect is probably best shown in pictures rather than described, as is the 'dead pixels', which I will post up later. Hopefully, they should show up well enough to give you a better idea of what's wrong.

Needless to say it's not looking good though. I suspect I may have to get this one replaced, which judging by the amount of time it's already taken for the TV to arrive, won't be for quite sometime. Unless this TV is absolutely perfect (Even if the colour was fine, I wouldn't be able to put up with dead pixels/dirt, as it's the kind of thing that I would always catch in the corner of my eye), I'm not going to be happy, especially after all the hassle I've had getting the TV in the first place.

One question though, how on earth would dirt be able to get in between the glass and the screen? It's certainly not on the front of the glass as I gave that a good clean.

Anyway, I'll post some pictures this evening which should help you come to a conclusion.

Thanks. :)

4. howardb87

howardb87

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've also had some problems with electricalscentre.com, i ordered a tv in november and have still not had it delivered. Like everyone has said, the phones are constantly engaged and they have not responded to my e-mails. What does anyone suggest i do in order to recieve the tv? am gettin very worried!!

5. scottiefraser

scottiefraser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    Nights, sorry to hear about your trouble, here are the links you asked for:

Nights, I used a sit called TV cables at http://www.tvcables.co.uk (very reliable and good prices and products) and ordered the following:

Digital Component Cables (For Progressive Scanfrom DVD to TV):
    http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/t...bles/op=eq.html

Digital Coaxial Cable (For 5.1 to your TV from DVD)
    http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/PGD481.html

You can get your speaker stands at http://www.empiredirect.co.uk:
    http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/conte...S-PROSTAND3.htm

Hope these help you. All in all the whole lot should cost you about £40-50 depending on the lengths of cable you nedd and whether you want one set of stands or two!!!

I would do exactly as I did to get this TV changed (Very similar to how you got it, remember my post):

http://www.avforums.com/frame.html?http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167188

Phone Toshiba first, and get a name from their customer service people as the woman I dealt with was really helpful. They will tell you that you need to go back to Electricals Centre as that is where you bought it from. Explain your story to them and they may be able to help. Otherwise according to what I have seen on the Trading Standards web site, you have 2 options:

Get Electricals Centre to replace it with another one OR tell them you want a full refund as the TV is not fit for purpose and they have provided you with faulty goods. Have you read the T & C from the website:

Returns Policy
    No Fault Returns.
    You are entitled to withdraw from this contract within 7 days from delivery of the goods for a full credit or refund less any applicable delivery charges. The goods must be unused and ‘as new’ in their original box and packaging including all manuals and accessories. You must notify us within 7 days from date of delivery and we will issue you with a Returns Authorisation Number. Returns Authorisation number will be valid for 14 days and it will be your responsibility to return the goods to us at your own cost and risk. Goods received back ‘as new’ but incomplete with missing components and accessories – the cost of the accessories will be charged to you. Goods received back in any condition other than ‘as new’ will be returned back to you.

Faulty Returns – Dead on Arrival.
    A product is deemed to be ‘dead on arrival’ if it shows symptoms of hardware failure preventing basic operation upon its first use out of the box. In such instances please contact our customer support helpline within 7 days from the delivery date. You can then either return the faulty item directly yourself or we will organise a collection from your home. Upon receipt of the goods and confirmation of the fault by our technical engineers you will be offered the following options:

1:- A replacement – this item will be shipped to you at our own expense.
    2:- A repair – the repaired item will be shipped to you at our own expense. Please note that once repaired the product is no longer eligible for replacement.
    3:- A full refund – provided the item has been verified faulty and is complete with all accessories in its original box and packaging.

If the product is not deemed to be faulty by our technicians then you will be offered the following options:

1:- Return of the goods – the cost of delivery charged to you.
    2:- Refund – the invoice cost less any applicable delivery charges provided the product is ‘as new’ and complete with all accessories in its original box and packaging. If the condition of the product or the packaging is poor then we reserve the right to impose a charge to cover re-packaging costs. Missing accessories will also be charged to you.

The manufacturers guarantee will apply to all items reported to be faulty after 7 days from delivery.

This returns policy does not affect your legal rights.

Refunds, once authorised are usually processed within 5 working days (unless we are awaiting goods to be returned by you in which case they will be processed when they have been checked and booked into our returns department). Please note once we have processed your credit, your issuing bank may not be aware of the transaction for up to 7 working days. In certain circumstances, the refunds process may take up to a maximum of 28 days.

Personally I would go for a replacement. I know you have had a complete mare with them but remember, your situation is very similar to mine and I did recieve a replacement 4 days after I reported the fault to them and it was fine. Its a real shame this is the Xmas period though as you are going to struggle to get anything done till the New Year.

If I can be of any further help then give me a shout!

6. scottiefraser

scottiefraser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    Howardb,

Nights (the previous poster) had exactly you problem. I suggest you read this following subject thread as it will probably give you the advice you seek!!

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167188

:thumbsup:

7. howardb87

howardb87

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply, The thread was very helpful. i think im going to keep hassling them by phone, fax and e-mail until they tell me when they will deliver it. If not i will try and cancel the order and get my money back.

8. NiGHTS

NiGHTS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry for the late pictures guys, but my PC seems to be playing up a bit too at the moment. Seems anything I touch breaks. :p Anyway, here they are. Hopefully they aren't too big.

The dreaded 'rainbow' effect

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The suspected dead pixels

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So there you are guys, hopefully that should give you more of an idea of what's wrong with it. I called up Toshiba the other day, and they simply said it was faulty so I'll be faxing EC anyway, but it would be nice to get a definate idea of what I'm dealing with.

For the record, the inside of the TV made a 'clunking' noise when we were putting it back in it's box. It certainly didn't sound too healthy and seemed to come from the tube area so it could be, as Laurel suggested, a broken tube.

Thanks for those links again Scottie, not to mention those laws. You've been a godsend! :thumbsup:

9. ScootermanRoger

ScootermanRoger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wow! that's one very shafted tube! The "purity" is about as impure as it can get!
    Those black splodges look like debris on the shadowmask, and that purity is so far out , it is consistent with a bent shadowmask, and both symptoms are consistent with the set being heavily jarred or dropped.
    As for clunking noises, I bet that bits of the cabinet internals are broken, like a supporting bracket for a panel for instance. The tube itself won't be broken, because if it was, there would be no vacuum, no picture, and there would be a nasty black "starburst" effect occupying much of the middle of the screen caused by air rushing in down a broken tube-neck, and blasting into the shadowmask knocking the phosphors off the inside face of the screen.

10. scottiefraser

scottiefraser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    :oops:

Nights,

Something very important I forgot to tell you.

Make sure that when you pack it away that you only put the TV in the box and none of the accessories. I was told by EC to pack everything and when Citylink delivered my replacement all that was in the box was the TV. My broken TV was gone and I had no RC or speakers etc for the replacement. I had to do some hasty telephone calls to get the Citylink driver back but fortuanately he was still in the area and I managed to get the accessories out the one that was going back. I called EC to tell them what had happened and they said it was standard that they only ship replacfement TV's and no accessories as you are meant to keep the originals. Nice of them to give me duff gen in the first place eh??

Anyway, I would check the contents of the box of your replacement before you let the driver go just to make sure. I thought I had better tell you as I don't want the same to happen to you.

I hope your Xmas has not been spoilt too much by your faulty TV as I know I would have felt if it had happened to me at this time of the year. I hope it all gets sorted for you soon!!

Let us all know!!

11. NiGHTS

NiGHTS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies guys.

So it does look like the tube is, as you so delicately put it, 'shafted'. :p I'll get onto EC on monday about it when I can get to a fax machine. Hopefully they won't hang around too long and send a replacement fairly sharpish.

How does debris get onto the shadowmask Scooter? Is it something that happens whilst the TV is being built or something?

Thanks Scottie, but the TV was the only thing I packed away, as I suspected they'd only need to collect the items that are actually faulty rather than the lot of it.

Don't worry, my Christmas hasn't been spoiled. To be quite honest, I haven't really got room to use it right now anyway, so it's fairly useful in a sense. I'll keep you all up to date on the situation. Hopefully my gut feeling is wrong and I don't get another botched TV. :rolleyes:

12. ScootermanRoger

ScootermanRoger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The debris of course shouldn't be there in the first place, and may have been dislodged by the TV being dropped. This debris is caught on the shadowmask, preventing the electron beams from reaching the coloured phosphors. The only other explanation is that debris (again) has scraped off the coloured phosphors from the inside of the screen, but in either case for these scenarios to be possible with the damage at the top of the screen, the TV would have to have been almost upside down on it's face. - Maybe "rolled".

13. NiGHTS

NiGHTS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I faxed EC on monday and they called up today saying a new TV will be delivered on thursday.

I have to say, even though they messed me around before, they've really come through the last two times I've faxed them. They've even bothered to sort out the missing glass shelf for the stand. It is however, still a shame I had to fax them (Which could be difficult for some people to do) and threaten them with Trading Standards.

Hopefully, this TV will come in fully working order. If it's any less than perfect (i.e. Debris on screen again), then I'll be asking for a refund. I'll keep you guys posted.

14. Spanpody

Spanpody

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just an observation, is it wise to have the TV positioned close to a large radiator surely that cant be good for heat issues ?

15. NiGHTS

NiGHTS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't worry about that, it's actually a good foot or two away from the radiator. I can see what you mean, as that picture actually makes it look closer than it is.

Tommorow is d-day. Hopefully I can put this whole horrible experience behind me. :p

16. NiGHTS

NiGHTS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The TV arrived yesterday, and thankfully it's working perfectly.

However, as usual, I have a few things to nitpick about. First, it seems the TV they sent me was the 36ZP48P. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a difference between the 'P' and 'non-P' versions (I heard something about sound and lack of speakers yet speakers were included with my version).

Secondly, I can't seem to get a pin sharp picture when using consoles. Instead it looks a tad blurry. Now is this down to my cables, or do the TV settings need changing? I ask because I can usually get a more or less perfect picture on other screens, although the fact these other screens are smaller could have something to do with it. Could this be remedied by using component cables (I believe you can buy them for the consoles can't you?).

Apart from these two little worries, I have no issues with the TV at all. DVDs are absolutely superb on it (even with the bog-standard scart I'm currently using), sound is superb, and the general build quality is amazing. Actually, I do have one issue with it. It weighs as much as a small car! :p

17. LDR

LDR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    The 36ZP48 is the same as with the "P" on the end, nothing to worry about there. It is the 36ZP46 that does without the DD 5.1 decoder and the accompanying surround sound speakers.

Glad you've got it sorted out now.

18. LDR

LDR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    Oh BTW, you may want to get hold of a calibration DVD to sort out the pic settings, cos default from the factory they are terrible. If you have a DVD with a THX optimizer on this will do to start with.

19. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi, I think you'll find that models with 'P' on the end come complete with a stand - non 'P' models are supplied without a stand. However I suspect many retailers don't know this and 'willy nilly' put the 'P' on or off but nonetheless supply the tv with it's stand. Bit of a 'quirk' really, nothing for you to worry about (you might have thought 'S' would have been a bit more obvious!). You've got a nice tv, I hope it gives you much satisfaction. Regards, yt.

20. scottiefraser

scottiefraser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    Nights,

Nice to hear you are finally sorted and that you had no more problems with EC. You can probably now quite agree with my original post about them needing a gentle 'push' in the right direction but they get there in the end.

Enjoy your TV.

21. NiGHTS

NiGHTS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for everything guys, especially putting my fears to rest about the whole 'P' thing. :p

Scottie, you've probably been the biggest help, and for that I can't thank you enough. I probably wouldn't have tried faxing them unless you said so. You're right about them though. Once they've been given a little push (or a big push depending on how you look at it), they incredibly fast. As I said, once I faxed them the second time, they sent the replacement within four days, and this was just after Christmas!

I ordered those cables you recommended Scottie so I should have an optimal DVD picture at the very least once those arrive. I'm still a bit disappointed with the console picture quality though. If you could share your thoughts on this (i.e. New cables, recommended settings, etc), it'd be very helpful.

22. scottiefraser

scottiefraser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    Just glad to help!

Can't help you on the games console front as I haven't got one but I am sure there is a forum for cables?? It might be an idea also to start a new thread about it!!

On another note, you should be quite pleased when you get your cables. The picture on Prog Scan will blow you away if you think it is good already via just a scart!!
    :thumbsup:

23. colntom

colntom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Glad you got sorted m8. Been reading through this and other feedback from electrcal centre.
    The reason in october orderded the Tosh still no sign of it 3 weeks later so cancelled order. Said the money would be put back on card within 5 days. 2 days later Toshiba rang to arrange delivery, explained story to them so as i speak to cut it short, money not on credit card and trading standards ringing today again. Never known a company be so busy on the phone? So in short would never use this company again.
    Have eventually got the Tosh and dr3 recorder with 5 yr warranty from Fenwicks. So at least ive got my telly hopefully my other money back soon.

24. simongwynne

simongwynne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I've had a similar problem on my PF2 when using an xbox and gamecube with the set on Progress mode. It's like the deinterlacer isn't doing the job properly. You're correct though, the right cables (with the consoles outputting progressive scan) sort this out a treat.