Electrical Wiring Question - No Neutral to Standard

NeverEden

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi All

I have an existing 2 way switch which has 1 switch turning off/on an LED light and another a set of Wall Lights, this is a No Neutral style switch and uses the below wiring:

The brown are connected as below and the 2 blue are essentially junctioned in a terminal block.

1629631389171.png

I want to now replace this with a standard 2 gang 1 way switch where it is as below (basically has 2 of those) in that exact config.

1629631569277.png
1629631572159.png

Would anyone be able to tell me the wiring config I would need to do to replace this?

Leave the Neutrals joined in the connector block.

Assuming the "L" wire is the main live feed in, connect that to the Common terminal in one switch. Run a short length of wire from that common to the other switch common.

Connect each of your lights to the individual switches at terminals L1. If the switch works "upside down", swap the wire(s)from L1 to L2

Last edited:
Leave the Neutrals joined in the connector block.

Assuming the "L" wire is the main live feed in, connect that to the Common terminal in one switch. Run a short length of wire from that common to the other switch common.

Connect each of your lights to the individual switches at terminals L1. If the switch works "upside down", swap the wire(s)from L1 to L2
Thx vm. Youve almost nailed it. Only thing now is the wall lights can turn on and off but it also turns the led lights on. Those can be switched off but cant be turned on individually. Ie. Both led and wall lights need to be on for the led to be on

Take the link wire between the Common terminals out. Describe what happens with both switches please.

Last edited:
Just got to do it now. That essentially removes the 'bridge' of live connection so only the wall lights turn on. The led light does not turn on

OK, put the link back and swap the wire in L1 to L2 on the LED light switch.

What happens now?

Won’t that just swap it so that you need the wall light off to switch the other on. Switching the wall light on would switch the led off.

If l1 and l2 plus l/common wired up already wouldn’t that suggest that is was previously configured with another switch?

Yeh i did that too. That just reverses it so off is on and on is off but same behaviour. It turns on with wall light but not on its own. It can be turned off on its own though

This is the config

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    284.4 KB · Views: 47
Yeh i did that too. That just reverses it so off is on and on is off but same behaviour. It turns on with wall light but not on its own. It can be turned off on its own though

So just for clarity how many brown wires are currently connected to the new switch?

Ok swap the wires round from top to bottom on the wall switch and reconnect the bridge wires as before

So just for clarity how many brown wires are currently connected to the new switch?

Ok swap the wires round from top to bottom on the wall switch and reconnect the bridge wires as before
Theres 5. One in com bridged to the second com. Then one L in com on the left side. Then L1 has a brown on the first gang and L1 on second gang.

So youre saying the L1 and L1 currently should go into COM ?

the bridge would then still exist on COM ?

So from what you have described it sounds like the current brown wire on the wall switch in L1 is the live feed from the mains circuit. This should be into the common at the top. The little bridge wire should be from common to common.

L1 on the led light remains the same.

The one you have previously removed from the common on the wall switch needs them to be put in L1.

This way the live feed feeds both commons and the lights will work independently.

So from what you have described it sounds like the current brown wire on the wall switch in L1 is the live feed from the mains circuit. This should be into the common at the top. The little bridge wire should be from common to common.

L1 on the led light remains the same.

The one you have previously removed from the common on the wall switch needs them to be put in L1.

This way the live feed feeds both commons and the lights will work independently.
No the live feed was always in common as per johns advice. L1 on both gangs are the feed to the wall light and led lighe. Common is bridged. This does allow everything to work independantly on an on off basis but the led cant stay on , on its own thats all.

Ill leave it for now. Its more a nice to have but not a deal breaker if it cant be on on its own. Tbh im grateful that ive been able to swap the switches from the set previously so this has been a big help

How do you know the feed into the common on the wall switch is the live feed?

By independent I mean both lights can be switched on or off regardless of the state of the other. That isn’t how it is working at the moment.

Why it works as it does now is because the live feed is going into L1 on the wall switch. Until this is switched on there is no feed to the common and thus no feed across the bridge wire to the leds.

Simply swapping the two wires will done the issue you have. It’s a common mistake to make and there isn’t an issue swapping them anyway. 5 minute fix to resolve :)

Ok ok. Ill do this then: swap the current L1 powering the wall light and put that into common and that existing common into L1. This is that on the first gang.

Yes, that was going to be my next suggestion. In the original configuaration, it looks like the live feed was on L1 and not Common (L) as it should have been.

You will probably have to swap the LED switch back to L1 as well.....

How do you know the feed into the common on the wall switch is the live feed?

By independent I mean both lights can be switched on or off regardless of the state of the other. That isn’t how it is working at the moment.

Why it works as it does now is because the live feed is going into L1 on the wall switch. Until this is switched on there is no feed to the common and thus no feed across the bridge wire to the leds.

Simply swapping the two wires will done the issue you have. It’s a common mistake to make and there isn’t an issue swapping them anyway. 5 minute fix to resolve :)
Haha. You were right thanks soo much @ChuckMountain and @John7 !!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom