1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electrical Socket - Spurs and making safe?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by D J Fryer, Jun 7, 2004.

1. D J Fryer

D J Fryer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Quick (but lon winded explanation!) query that I thought someone may be able to help with. We have a bay window in our front room and want to install a radiator into the bay. This is being done tomorrow along with other plumbing & heating works. On clearing the room out I noticed (rather late in the day) that there is a plug socket in the middle of the wall where I want the rad. It has been added within the last 10 or 20 years and is surface mounted. Its not on the downstairs ring I don't think as it just had red, black and green going in and the wiring doesn't go on anywhere else.

Basically it will be in the way of where the rad needs to go. If I pop the power off and take the surface mount box off and disconnect the wiring my intention was to lift the floorboard up and pull the wiring back into the floor cavity so that I can run the spur to another wall in the same room.

What I need to know is what I should use and how to make the wires 'safe' whilst they temporarily reside in the floor cavity so that I can put the power back on? Insulation tape, connection block? Obviously I have to keep the red and black isolated and separate but is it safe to leave it in the floor cavity?

Any help appreciated!

2. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    If you've got the room under the floorboards why not just wire up the old socket again...that's what I did :smashin:

Other than that I don't feel qualified to give any other advice :rolleyes:

Cheers, Lee

3. D J Fryer

D J Fryer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Aaaahhhh! Good point - so just wire up the old socket and leave it in the cavity under the floor? That makes sense - I would feel comfortable with that being safe too.

EDIT - forgot to say thanks! :smashin:

4. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    This socket is probably a spur off of a ring circuit or a spur off of a nearby socket.
    Assuming that the socket works, put a lamp or something into the socket then pull the fuse feeding the socket (probably one of the downstairs ring main circuits keep pulling the fuses one by one until the lamp goes out) pull the wire under the floorboards & connect the bare ends to a 30amp junction box (the black/white round type & it MUST be 30amp rated). If you can mount the junction box to an adjacent joist all the better.This will be safe indefinately or until you want to extend the wire to a new socket.
    A word of warning though you cannot spur off of a spur so you will have to make sure that the original spur is spurred off the the ring main itself or a nearby socket.
    If you don't feel confident doing this please do get a qualified sparks to do it for you.
    HTH, & please be careful :)
    Tim

5. D J Fryer

D J Fryer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Tim I know exactly the sort of junction box you mean. Don't worry if I feel unsure at any point I will leave well alone and get someone in. The annoying thing is I had a sparky in last week for kitchen stuff and didn't notice it then to ask him to do it - unfortunately he travels from quite a distance otherwise I would call him and ask him to do it! Once more many thanks - you can always rely on the collective knowledge of these forums!

6. D J Fryer

D J Fryer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Thanks again for your help guys, used Lee's method last night - only took five mins!