Electrical Regs......again!!!!!!

EDnSKY

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

What's the definitive answer....Can I run a cable from a socket up a wall terminated to a double socket to power a wall mounted screen or do I need a sparky to do it for me??? :confused: :eek: :confused:

Basically, from 1 Jan 2005, any competent person can install, BUT,
the job must be inspected and tested by an approved person.
For that particular job, a Minor Works Certificate would be issued.
If your HC work started before 1 Jan 2005, then you can do it yourself.

edit:
Just make sure you use the correct size cables etc. and your existing
power circuit is suitable for this addition.

If this is not in your kitchen, then you can do this work yourself as it is exempt from the new regs.

Table 1 of Approved Document P states ...

"Work that is not in a kitchen or special location and does not involve a special installation (d) and consists of:

.... Adding socket-outlets and fused spurs to an existing ring or radial circuit ..."

Note (b) of Table 1 states:
"If the circuit's protective measures are unaffected"
Note (e) of Table 1 states:
"Only if the existing circuit protective device is suitable and provides protection for the modified circuit, and other relevant safety provisions are satisfactory".

I would argue that you need to have some professional Knowledge to decide if
these two criteria are met.

Johnny.

Thanks everyone for your help. I'll have to get a copy of the regs. I think I am competent as I am a fully qualified Avionics Engineer (aircraft electronic systems). Nothing to do with a house I know but load calculations and theory should be similar if not the same!! :smashin:

Ed, the IEE wiring regs are a little bit full on. You will have many hours of fun reading them :eek: . As you say, with your background, you should be ok.
If you are unsure, one extra socket installed by an electrician, will not cost you too much..........

As part of the training for my job, I am doing a course that involves some electrical work. It wont get me a full qualification but I am learning quite a bit about regs. As explained by our tutor (a qualified electrician obviously!) you are fine doing things like changing face plates, ceiling roses, spurs from other plugs etc without having to get them inspected. What you cant do (without inspection) is add new circuits e.g. an extension or garage etc, kitchens and bathrooms, modifications to the CSU or other large jobs. What you are planning to do should be fine!

Mitsi, you are fine doing these jobs if you are able to assess other criteria about the existing circuit characteristics and its protection.
This is the stumbling block for a lot of DIY'ers.

Johnny.

I think it's worth noting that qualifications and experience alone do not make you a competent person I'm afraid. You have to be specifically registered as a "competent person" and that doesn't mean just having professional registration, it is specific to the new codes. I have a HNC in Electronic engineering, a BEng in electronic engineering and am registered as a Chartered Engineer with the Engineering Council via the IEE, yet I am not considered competent!

Having said that, I'm reasonably sure Johnny Thunder is correct that fitting a standard socket outlet is allowed anyway. Besides, if you electrocute yourself or blow the rest of your ccts, who are you gonna sue??

Link HERE to IEE regs about Part P. Would be grateful if someone could confirm the link is OK just in case it's a members only page.

SteveJR said:
No problem with the link Pj.
Thanks Steve, I tend to have a high rate of failure when it comes to forum attachments and links!

PjPip said:
I think it's worth noting that qualifications and experience alone do not make you a competent person I'm afraid. You have to be specifically registered as a "competent person" and that doesn't mean just having professional registration, it is specific to the new codes. I have a HNC in Electronic engineering, a BEng in electronic engineering and am registered as a Chartered Engineer with the Engineering Council via the IEE, yet I am not considered competent!

Having said that, I'm reasonably sure Johnny Thunder is correct that fitting a standard socket outlet is allowed anyway. Besides, if you electrocute yourself or blow the rest of your ccts, who are you gonna sue??

Link HERE to IEE regs about Part P. Would be grateful if someone could confirm the link is OK just in case it's a members only page.

Reading the part P stuff again, it makes a distinction between a "competent person" and a "prescribed competent person".

The latter is someone who has been through the assessment process of one of the recognised bodies and is able to "self-certify" work that would otherwise require notification and inspection under building control. Instead, they juse provide a certificate to the customer and BC within 30 days of completion of work.

The former is someone who has the relevent knowledge and/or qualifications but is not registered to self-certify (this would include, for example, industrial electricians doing work in their own home) can still carry out whatever work he wishes in accordance with the wiring regs, and must also do the required testing etc, but unless the work is of the type mentioned that does not require BC notification, must notify BC in advance and BC (or someone appointed by them) must come out and inspect the work on completion (and before covering over so that the cabling can be properly checked)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom