1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

electrical discount UK anyone had a problems?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by blakey1, Sep 26, 2005.

1. blakey1

blakey1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Bought a Samsung Slimfit from them. When it turned up the box was damaged though the driver said that the TV was fine. Watched the TV over the weekend and noticed the geometry problems so phoned them to ask them to take it back based on this and the damaged box and possibility Tv was damaged. They advised that there was nothing wrong with the TV and all TV had the same geometry as the picture in the Samsung SLimfit thread and if I wanted somebody to look at it it would cost me £50 for them to send an engineer. Rung Samsung who sent out an Authorized Repairer to pick up the TV. When they turned up they advised the TV was damaged and if you looked closely the screen had scratches on it. I have rung Electrical Discount again who are still refusing to pick up the TV saying that I will have to send them evidence of what the repairers are saying before they consider this? As far as I'm aware they should pick it up and refund me if what I say is correct. If it is not then they should refund me less reasonable delivery charges under the distance selling rule? Will I need to take the matter up with Trading Standards? Also I understand they are part of RETRA or something like this. Is it worth taking the matter up with them?

2. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    I havent had any problems with them and the TV I bought - when it developed a fault they said they would send an engineer out but if there was no fault/ it was user error then I would have to pay the call out charge, if it was a genuine fault then there would be no fee. Even though it was an intermittant problem which wasnt evident when the engineer turned up they didnt charge for the work.

Under the distance selling regulations you have a 14 days cooling off period from when you purchased the item plus under the sales of goods act you can more or less ask for a refund within the first 6 months - both may be worth quoting to the company.

The potential issue is that you have signed for delivery of an item which was damaged. It may be difficult to prove the damage was present when delivered but it isnt unreasonable for you not to have noticed it - it is possible a retailer may claim that the damage has been caused since delivery and you are just trying to "get a free ride"

3. blakey1

blakey1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    I think I've sorted the matter out now as Electrical Discount have accepted that I can return the TV under the distance selling rule. They though want to deduct £50 if their engineer cannot find anything wrong with it, even though Samsung and their engineer have confirmed that the geometry was faulty and I have forwarded evidence to them. Maybe Electrical Discount know more about Samsungs Geometry tolerance than Samsung do.

Anyway I'll await their response once they get the TV. I think I learnt a lesson though. Firstly inspect product with a fine tooth comb when you get it and also the Internet maybe cheap but the customer service provided is not always the best.

4. Monkfish

Monkfish
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    These retailers are on such small margins that simply having a TV sent back can blow all their profit. If they don't make a profit they wouldn't be able to offer items at a low price in the first place. These companies are on such low margins that they go in and out of existence faster than a pair of virtual particles! The retail sector is also bludgeoned by domestic and European Consumer Rights. I think if the consumer wants a bargain, then some degree of risk should be accepted. The greater the bargain the greater the risk. Maybe there's a rule of thumb here. If you want "modern" consumer rights then buy from Currys, Comet or Dixons (although they too will try to wriggle out of anything that is not a clear-cut case). Buying from an online etailer always comes with a certain risk — a risk that you won’t get a product replaced, fixed, your money back or even the goods delivered!

I bought my Toshiba 32ZP46 new with stand from Ebay for £500. For that price I was prepared to hang my ass out some distance. Luckily for me it wasn't bitten off — this time.

5. blakey1

blakey1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    To an extent I agree with you but if I buy from Ebay the seller does not suggest that he or she offers a level of customer service which rivals the big retailers. Normally the items are sold as seen with little or no warranties. I could of bought to TV for cheaper but bought from the above due to bodies they claim to be members of and level of service they suggested to offer.

As I say though it would seem the matter will be sorted out now and a learnt a valuable lesson about internet selling