Electrical Digital Signal through scart?

chedmaster

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I have a long scart lead from the Sky + room to home cinema room, which obv. only carries stereo. could i convert the optical to coaxial and send it down the left or right channel on the scart? would the resistance and lack of the coaxialness stop it working?

ta

I don't think you can change an optical to a digital coax,I think that your only option is a
long optical cable

you can, with a converter. i just wonder whether it would travel down the tiny leads in scarts.

Sorry I did not know you could buy a converter,according to many on this forum optical is prefered to coax over a long distance because of the possible signal loss and potentially
a greater chance of picking up interference.You need to find someone who has done this or tried to do it.
Best of luck

I know, but i have a flat scart under the carpet and can't really add an optical.

cheers

With enough adaption you could do it. You'll need a half-decent scart lead where at least one spare conductor is rated at around 75ohms CI. The video connections probably will be but this may not be the case for the stereo connections.

Converting from optical to electrical digital isn't too tricky - there are converters available commercially or you could probably make one up as a DIY project as there's not much too it once you have the suitable IC. I think your biggest problem will be the breakout lead from your scart to connect the digital signal into and out of. :)

ive already got the breakout for s-video and L+R audio. I might just try it with one of the stereo pair and if that doesn't work have a fiddle in the breakout's wiring. Does it HAVE to be 75 ohms? would it damage something to try through one of the stereo pair?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom