Electric wiring advice needed

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by MickEP, Jan 15, 2008.

1. MickEP

MickEP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    I will be converting a downstairs shower room into a utility room to house my washing machine and tumble drier. At present there is a 7kw electric shower in there,which I will be removing, what I would like to know is, can I use the wiring that supplied the electric shower to install a normal three pin plug socket.
    Hope that makes sense
    Regards
    Mick

2. njp

njp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +177
    If it's been wired correctly, that will be a dedicated circuit (i.e it will have its own MCB or fuse at the consumer unit). So it has plenty of capacity to supply a 13A socket, though you ought to reduce the value of MCB/fuse accordingly. The only issue you might have with the wiring is that the cable will be rather thick and unwieldy... I'd also be surprised if it was in the ideal place. You would probably be better off terminating it in a junction box and running standard 2.5mm twin and core to the socket.

3. dub007

dub007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    What njp said is correct and a good way round it!!! but another way is you could always put in a rcbo or a two way board where the cable came into the shower, that way you would have its own dedicated circuits and fused both ends to protect each cable:smashin: the only problem you may have with this is the shower cable should have been fed through an 40 or 50 amp switch and if it is a pull switch type you may have problems having enough cable to play with.