1. Join Now

    AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electric Shock from Xbox - Help

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by sgmess, Jan 14, 2005.

  1. sgmess

    sgmess
    Standard Member

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2005
    Messages:
    4
    Products Owned:
    0
    Products Wanted:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    1
    Ratings:
    +0
    On reconnecting my crystal xbox to my AV setup yesterday, I was holding the end of the audio plug on the standard AV lead and touched my PC case which gave me a slight shock, all equipment was plugged in but turned off. I was slightly surprised so I got out a voltmeter and connected it between the outside connector of the red audio plug and my PC case (Therefore grounded). It measured a voltage of about 115 volts AC. I also tested other connectors and found this voltage on both Audio plugs inside and outside contacts and the composite video connector.

    I note the xbox is double insulated but can not believe this is normal behaviour, can anyone confirm this voltage should be seen on these contacts and if not what possible damage could this have caused to other connected equipment?

    Many thanks in advance

     
  2. Mr.D

    Mr.D
    Well-known Member

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2000
    Messages:
    11,061
    Products Owned:
    0
    Products Wanted:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    133
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    PC case probably just grounded the audio signal and gave you a little shock , tiny current (otherwise you'd be dead!) You get this on quite a few bits of kit.

    Sometimes touching a case will give you a shock if you've gotten a big enough static charge on yourself. Its not that the kit has shocked you , its merely earthed the charge.

    Most modern kit will shutdown if there is any serious short going on. And its rare for there to be deadly levels available inside the case outside the PSU which are normally quite well sealed. You can still get a nasty shock and burn from certain bits of kit though so its not an invitation to go poking around inside. Just means the risk of instantaneous death is quite small. CRTs can be quite dangerous though even when they are unplugged.
     
  3. wmevius

    wmevius
    Guest

    Products Owned:
    0
    Products Wanted:
    0
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had exactly the same experience: the scart connector gave me the shock, and it's showing as 115 volts compared to ground (in the socket) and real earth.

    It's only showing 115 volts when plugged in (even without the unit being switched on). I tried different sockets, in different buildings with the same result.

    I understand that the current must be low (although I was wearing rubber soled shoes at the time), but surely this can't be normal? Wouldn't it be dangerous for someone with a pacemaker for instance?
     

Share This Page

Loading...