Electric shock from hob igniter...


Standard Member
A couple of weeks ago I spilt a fair bit of water over our hob and the dials/igniter. A few minutes later I went to turn one of the hobs on and when I pressed the igniter I got a nasty electric shock.

Left it for a day and it was fine from then onwards. However last night my partner pressed the igniter (with a bit of a wet hand) and she too got a shock.

Should we be getting electric shocks because water was spilt/someones hand is wet. I've been told that even with a wet hand we shouldn't receive electric shocks but I wanted to clarify this befre going to our landlord.

Any tips or advice would be great! Cheers.


Distinguished Member
Yes you should, the igniter produces a high voltage to get the spark.
Dried out it should be fine.


Rubber caps on igniter buttons get caked up with grease and perish.
The shock may be leaking directly from the mains switching elements in the switch if that cap is perforated and had admitted water and other contaminants.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom